FishDuck Article

The Oregon Offense: Tight Bunch Triple Option

At this point in the season, the dominance of the Oregon Ducks’ rushing attack is well established. The Ducks are averaging a solid 227 yards per game on the ground. Their output places them as the tenth best rushing offense in the nation. That’s a 5.6 yards per play average. Their ability to ground and pound opponents has also helped ...

Read the full article here...

• Thanks 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Nice analysis, and agree it would be nice to see more of this going forward. The team and program is getting better, stronger and more innovative as the season progresses.

Thanks for putting this together and helping us understand the new Oregon Football Programs ways. It isn't what we use to seeing, but it is working out just fine, so far, Go Ducks!

If Moorhead sticks around and develops one or two of the young qb's into a strong passing threat, he might be worth, on the open market, more than  that coach down at #7. Can you imagine being a coach, on the verge of a bidding war for your services with what is going on?

It might be between Thibs and Moorhead on who gets the most next season. If both of these guys stay healthy and put up good numbers, they will be very wealthy. I mean Moorhead has a chance to write his ticket if he leads this offense to the playoffs, right?

5una3q.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks Coach. I have been impressed with the blocking from the TE position all season long. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Great article Eric!  Thanks for dissecting the play!

Question:  If the QB has the TE blocking for him, why not keep the ball as the preferred run?  The TE blocks C gap defender and the QB can proceed attacking the edge.

A pitch to the wide receiver has the sideline for a long gain. The defensive back on that side disappears following the receiver.

Using the speed advantage of the wide receiver would've been awesome.  The field is 53 and 1/3 yards.  Using all of the field will help set up inside plays later.  And vice versa inside plays sets up the outside as this play does so well!

Great analysis Eric, thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 9:48 AM, Haywarduck said:

Nice analysis, and agree it would be nice to see more of this going forward. The team and program is getting better, stronger and more innovative as the season progresses.

Thanks for putting this together and helping us understand the new Oregon Football Programs ways. It isn't what we use to seeing, but it is working out just fine, so far, Go Ducks!

If Moorhead sticks around and develops one or two of the young qb's into a strong passing threat, he might be worth, on the open market, more than  that coach down at #7. Can you imagine being a coach, on the verge of a bidding war for your services with what is going on?

It might be between Thibs and Moorhead on who gets the most next season. If both of these guys stay healthy and put up good numbers, they will be very wealthy. I mean Moorhead has a chance to write his ticket if he leads this offense to the playoffs, right?

Good thoughts on Moorhead , Hayward. JM has to be on the radar of a number of ADs looking for a new coach. But he won't be offered a big boy, SC or LSU job. 

JM went 14-12 at MS ST. In his second year at MS ST Leach has the team on both sides of the ball playing better than it did under JM.  Leach has a 6-4 MI ST ranked at 25. The record should be 7-3; refs screwed MI ST out of a W at Memphis. Of course, the cynical among us may think that this ranking is there to prop up Bama's schedule? 

I think JM, especially with his salary now at $1M has to be getting a long look from Jen Cohen at UW?  And also from WA ST if WAZZU decides to move on from its interim coach. And based on his time recruiting the area while at Penn St perhaps he is also on Va Tech's list?

The guy I feel sorry for is Justin Wilcox. No school was hit by COVID harder than was CAL. He is a far better HC than his record shows. He is fed up with the Berkeley health authorities and with the lack of support from the CAL administration. But with his overall record it will take guts for an AD to hire him. 

J Smith at OR ST is the lowest paid coach in the Pac-12. A win over ASU Saturday will really move him up on many the AD's list, including UW. J Smith has loyalty to his alma mater but Smith never made the big bucks in the pros or as an assistant in CFB. There is far more upside in Seattle than in Corvallis.

I think that if UCLA wins at SC Saturday Chip's job is safe? ASU could finish 9-3 but with the NCAA buzzing around is Herm's job safe? Many the ASU fan is ready to see Herm leave town.

• Thanks 1

After all the conference championship games are completed the coaching dominoes will fall.

Can't blame any coach for getting an opportunity and the money that will come their way.

All these articles, this season, showing and explaining Coach Mooreheads plays just leaves me wanting more.

Great stuff. Hope JM stays around a little longer. Would love to see the whole playback opened up. Especially around the young guns in waiting.

First things first. Utah is no easy out, home or away. I feel confident JM has a few new tricks up his sleeve for the Utes.

Thank you for the analysis Coach!

Do you think the Ducks have the type of quarterback needed to run this offense next year?  Or will the offense shift to support the  next chosen QB?

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you Coach as this was a Blast-from-the-Past for me.  We ran a similar play a decade ago with Chip that I called the Straddled Triple Option, where we ran an Inside Zone one direction, and a Speed Double-Option the other direction.  In this version the running back can run to either A-Gap, as you noted.

I loved this play and GREAT to see it back!

Ariz-09-OZR-Fake.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/18/2021 at 7:19 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Good thoughts on Moorhead , Hayward. JM has to be on the radar of a number of ADs looking for a new coach. But he won't be offered a big boy, SC or LSU job. 

JM went 14-12 at MS ST. In his second year at MS ST Leach has the team on both sides of the ball playing better than it did under JM.  Leach has a 6-4 MI ST ranked at 25. The record should be 7-3; refs screwed MI ST out of a W at Memphis. Of course, the cynical among us may think that this ranking is there to prop up Bama's schedule? 

I think JM, especially with his salary now at $1M has to be getting a long look from Jen Cohen at UW?  And also from WA ST if WAZZU decides to move on from its interim coach. And based on his time recruiting the area while at Penn St perhaps he is also on Va Tech's list?

The guy I feel sorry for is Justin Wilcox. No school was hit by COVID harder than was CAL. He is a far better HC than his record shows. He is fed up with the Berkeley health authorities and with the lack of support from the CAL administration. But with his overall record it will take guts for an AD to hire him. 

J Smith at OR ST is the lowest paid coach in the Pac-12. A win over ASU Saturday will really move him up on many the AD's list, including UW. J Smith has loyalty to his alma mater but Smith never made the big bucks in the pros or as an assistant in CFB. There is far more upside in Seattle than in Corvallis.

I think that if UCLA wins at SC Saturday Chip's job is safe? ASU could finish 9-3 but with the NCAA buzzing around is Herm's job safe? Many the ASU fan is ready to see Herm leave town.

Interesting take and I respect the substance behind you opinion, as usual. 

I would say Moorhead has had more or at least as much success as Tucker had, when he was hired at Colorado, not the NFL experience. I think Moorhead looks better on paper than Tucker did when he was hired and then hired again at MSU. The job he is custom fit for is PSU, if it opens up.

As far as Smith, the dawg job is toxic, but agree the upside might lure him into that toxic environment. Smith is a whiz kid and may think he can deal with the dawg downside. That downside is the inevitable firing, and having to go back to OSU, who would welcome him back with open arms. 

Agree about Wilcox and Chip. Chip should fight to stay right where he is, Wilcox should run at the best opportunity, maybe the dawgs?

On 11/18/2021 at 9:55 AM, Smith72 said:

Great article Eric!  Thanks for dissecting the play!

Question:  If the QB has the TE blocking for him, why not keep the ball as the preferred run?  The TE blocks C gap defender and the QB can proceed attacking the edge.

A pitch to the wide receiver has the sideline for a long gain. The defensive back on that side disappears following the receiver.

Using the speed advantage of the wide receiver would've been awesome.  The field is 53 and 1/3 yards.  Using all of the field will help set up inside plays later.  And vice versa inside plays sets up the outside as this play does so well!

Great analysis Eric, thanks!

It’s really just about the structure of the play. First level defender is the first read. If he makes a specific choice, you never get to your second level read. It’s designed to create a numbers advantage.

On 11/18/2021 at 11:04 AM, Duck1984 said:

Thank you for the analysis Coach!

Do you think the Ducks have the type of quarterback needed to run this offense next year?  Or will the offense shift to support the  next chosen QB?

I believe that all of the QBs that we have on the roster have a good skill set for the offense we’re seeing. Each have varying attributes though, but the offense could be successful with any of them.