geoquack

What QB Might We Get in the Portal?

Since it appears obvious Mario doesn't trust Thompson, Butterfield or Ashford, we will be needing an experienced QB out of the portal in the off-season.  Any guess on who it might be?

So many questions at qb, that is definitely one response to what we are seeing. I just can't go there, still hopeful one of the young guns has it.

The main problem I see is it seems Mario loves AB's limitations as much as he likes his abilities. It seem Mario just wants a game manager, run the ball, hit the wide open receiver in the end zone, good enough.

Does Mario really want a qb who can sling it? Time will tell, but Mario brought in AB, at the expense of the young qb's and receivers. 

Will he do it again? I think if he does it will come at the detriment to the longterm health of the Oregon Football Program. We recruit, develop and play talent, but at qb we haven't done that for many years.

The Oregon Football Program will be defined by the qb position next year, bank on it.

• Thumbs Up 5

On 11/21/2021 at 7:58 AM, Haywarduck said:

Does Mario really want a qb who can sling it?

That is a good question, as a "game manager" appears to be a fit with Mario's philosophy. But, he did recruit Thompson, and a flock of WR's? This suggests that while he believed AB was the best QB this season, he's open to more throwing next season. But then there was the deal with Herbert? But he didn't have the receivers the Ducks have now?

• Thumbs Up 1

September 3, 2022 vs. Georgia.  We need an experienced QB to have any chance of being competitive.

If he brings in a transfer QB....all the other QBs will transfer out, IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I hate the portal.  Unless I don't.

On 11/21/2021 at 5:29 AM, geoquack said:

Since it appears obvious Mario doesn't trust Thompson, Butterfield or Ashford, we will be needing an experienced QB out of the portal in the off-season.  Any guess on who it might be?

Oklahoma’s Rattler may be looking around.

• Thumbs Up 1

We've all seen the good and the bad when it comes to AB. Many of us had our doubts about how likely it was he would develop much given that he has had 6 years to do so. Charles and many others have stated that, while he has his shining moments, AB is the worst Oregon QB1 we can remember at a position where Oregon is traditionally blessed.

Personally, I think people are reading too much into what Cristobal said about AB being the best chance for success. He was talking about this year. He isn't going to panic and grab Rattler out of the portal. Thompson is a legitimate 5 star quarterback and I'd be very surprised if either he, or one of the other 2 quarterbacks waiting in the wings wasn't the QB1 next year.

My concern with Oregon this season is more of a coaching/leadership concern. Cristobal is Oregon's coach and, like AB, he has his shining moments and his moments that have me scratching my head. While MC preaches that he's a coach with "real" relationships with his players, something is brewing under the surface of the team culture that isn't good this year.

Huston is called for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and MC loses his mind in rage toward the player on center stage national TV. A star offensive lineman is dissatisfied and hits the portal. Pittman leaves after publicly posting that he was "disrespected". Kayvon Thibodeaux posts a recording of a post Washington game locker room speech loaded with F bombs from MC that shouldn't have been for public consumption. In the game last night, Williams was yelling throughout the game at AB regarding his poor passes and the two had to be separated at the end of the game. 

I compare this to the 2019 Oregon team where Troy Dye and Justin Herbert were the obvious team leaders. While that team had its ups and downs, there was something wonderful about the culture and unity on that team that seems woefully lacking on this year's team. They also beat a Utah team favored to give them the drubbing that Oregon received last night from Utah.

Even though Utah was ripped with the kind of tragedy this year that would tear many teams apart, Whittingham found a way to rally and unite his team. They were disciplined and well prepared for what Oregon brought to the table.

MC characterized Jimmy Lake and Washington as "everything wrong with college football". Whittingham, on the other hand, seems to be everything right with college football. Instead of spending so much time reading about the Navy Seals, perhaps MC should be studying Whittingham and his program.

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 2

Good take….you made a lot of valid points.

But I’m pretty sure that the Ducks would be interested in Rattler should he enter the portal, which is expected.

The question is, would Rattler be interested in the Ducks? Probably not.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/21/2021 at 2:02 PM, latracey said:

We've all seen the good and the bad when it comes to AB. Many of us had our doubts about how likely it was he would develop much given that he has had 6 years to do so. Charles and many others have stated that, while he has his shining moments, AB is the worst Oregon QB1 we can remember at a position where Oregon is traditionally blessed.

Personally, I think people are reading too much into what Cristobal said about AB being the best chance for success. He was talking about this year. He isn't going to panic and grab Rattler out of the portal. Thompson is a legitimate 5 star quarterback and I'd be very surprised if either he, or one of the other 2 quarterbacks waiting in the wings wasn't the QB1 next year.

My concern with Oregon this season is more of a coaching/leadership concern. Cristobal is Oregon's coach and, like AB, he has his shining moments and his moments that have me scratching my head. While MC preaches that he's a coach with "real" relationships with his players, something is brewing under the surface of the team culture that isn't good this year.

Huston is called for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and MC loses his mind in rage toward the player on center stage national TV. A star offensive lineman is dissatisfied and hits the portal. Pittman leaves after publicly posting that he was "disrespected". Kayvon Thibodeaux posts a recording of a post Washington game locker room speech loaded with F bombs from MC that shouldn't have been for public consumption. In the game last night, Williams was yelling throughout the game at AB regarding his poor passes and the two had to be separated at the end of the game. 

I compare this to the 2019 Oregon team where Troy Dye and Justin Herbert were the obvious team leaders. While that team had its ups and downs, there was something wonderful about the culture and unity on that team that seems woefully lacking on this year's team. They also beat a Utah team favored to give them the drubbing that Oregon received last night from Utah.

Even though Utah was ripped with the kind of tragedy this year that would tear many teams apart, Whittingham found a way to rally and unite his team. They were disciplined and well prepared for what Oregon brought to the table.

MC characterized Jimmy Lake and Washington as "everything wrong with college football". Whittingham, on the other hand, seems to be everything right with college football. Instead of spending so much time reading about the Navy Seals, perhaps MC should be studying Whittingham and his program.

Washington HC? After Auburn's L at South Carolina yesterday ( I had SC SU +240!) lots of chatter about Harsin leaving Auburn and the SEC W grind, for UW? Harsin was on UW's radar before Lake was hired. Coach Pete, advising AD Jen Cohen, has a lot of belief in the former Boise St coach. Other names that keep popping up: Aranda, Campbell (why leave a B12 that with its new members could score a better TV deal than the Pac-12?) and Justin Wilcox. 

• Thumbs Up 1