Charles Fischer

Whew! "Oregon Has a High Floor, Rather Than a High Ceiling"

This guy has some blunt words about Oregon, the conference and some big coaching hires...

Pac-12 Playoff Failure Magnifies USC's, Washington's Upcoming Hires by Matt Zemek of Trojans Wire

1236700885.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Mr. FishDuck

I'm going to have to see who they hire before I believe it.  It has been a REALLY long time since Carroll.  And Peterson was just above average, not great with his 2 - 4 vs Ducks and 2 - 4 Bowl record, which weren't necessarily upper tier bowls.

Yes, harsh on Ducks.  But I think we are one QB who can throw the long ball away.

Not exactly breaking news that USC and Washington will both be better with great coaches, but he was right. Oregon wasn't playing like a typical No. 3 team, but up until last night had been playing the best in the Pac-12, which is an indictment of the Pac-12 more than anything else.

USC is like the Lakers in the NBA,  one year in the Lottery, a new coach, a new player, which they've always been able to attract, and they're the champ. I don't think Washington is that close to Final 4 ready with a new coach, but the odds are they will be better.

TRUTH from Matt Zemeck who is a savvy guy when it comes to CFB.

On 11/21/2021 at 3:11 PM, Steven A said:

I'm going to have to see who they hire before I believe it.  It has been a REALLY long time since Carroll.  And Peterson was just above average, not great with his 2 - 4 vs Ducks and 2 - 4 Bowl record, which weren't necessarily upper tier bowls.

Yes, harsh on Ducks.  But I think we are one QB who can throw the long ball away.

What makes you think Mario wants to throw the deep ball as a consistent part of the O. If we do not already have a QB on the roster who can throw the ball a long way, the recruiting rankings are more than suspect.

• Thumbs Up 2

The difference for USC is the new athletic director. Mike Bohn is all business and whoever their new coach is, he will be expected to run the program efficiently and effectively. No more ex-athletes hiring ex-Carroll assistants, which was always an exercise in nostalgia. That said, the SC program is an absolute mess, and they will be multiple years of a rebuild away from contending nationally.

The huskies on the other hand... I will never understand why they have such a high opinion of themselves. Their ceiling is a Don James type coach. Two decades of contending in the conference, with maybe one shot at the natty. But they need to find that coach first. Their current AD botched everything with Lake so badly, it doesn't inspire confidence in their search.

On 11/21/2021 at 12:11 PM, Steven A said:

But I think we are one QB who can throw the long ball away.

Nailed it.  I was talking with a Duck-Buddy yesterday and we both thought that if we placed a great QB with the same team?  We would be worthy of being a Playoff team, as everything changes on both sides of the ball from the impact.

• Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/21/2021 at 12:40 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Nailed it.  I was talking with a Duck-Buddy yesterday and we both thought that if we placed a great QB with the same team?  We would be worthy of being a Playoff team, as everything changes on both sides of the ball from the impact.

I dont see that with the 5 yards at a time mentality

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/21/2021 at 12:17 PM, Jon Joseph said:

What makes you think Mario wants to throw the deep ball as a consistent part of the O. If we do not already have a QB on the roster who can throw the ball a long way, the recruiting rankings are more than suspect.

We may have a QB that can throw the deep ball, but he is not ready to run the O, and AB DID have us 9 - 1.  Hard to change that now.  I expect to stay with AB for Beavs and a shot at Pac 11 (12 - huskies) CShip and Rose Bowl. I also have the faith with the right OC (and Moorehead qualifies), all weapons will be utilized.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/21/2021 at 12:40 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I don't know. The defense has been suspect too. They were very suspect last night as Utah ran for over 200 yards and pretty much man handled our front 7. 

Utah has looked like the better team for several weeks. Last night they simply proved they were the better team in all facets of the game.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/21/2021 at 5:36 PM, C J said:

Utah has looked like the better team for several weeks.

Utah scored 38 points, but with a great passing quarterback and a sophisticated passing attack--you can win those shoot-outs as Mike Bellotti teams used to do.

I would like to see the passing offense of Moorhead when he has the talented passer...

Mr. FishDuck

Oregon has quality QBs in the locker room with quality WRs to throw to. But this potential excellence will not be seen in a risk adverse offense. In a playing in a phone booth O that depends on smash mouth O that the D knows is coming.

The O has been buried in a go slow, non Chipper O. Oregon should have run 20+ more plays last night. Oregon has a 5 star QB on the bench who along with talented WRs and TEs are buried in this O.

Bringing in stud race horses and letting them run like a horse and buggy in today's CFB?  Why did Bama beat Arkansas on Saturday? Because of a wide open, aggressive passing game,

Cristobal's O is destined to fail in today's CFB. It is far too easy to defend. The OL is good but it is not the Packers OL that could move you off the block even when you knew what was coming. 

At Utah was there a single hurry up play on O? Did Oregon ever pressure the Utes with an up tempo O? No. Oregon played slow ball with an adequate not great, QB.

• Thumbs Up 2

A SoCal honk believes the Trojans will be riding high with the next coaching hire?

And the ole cheating Huskies will be football prowess again with a new top Dawg on the lake?

Pass the bowl, as those teams won’t be playing in one anytime soon.

• Thumbs Up 2

I am cautiously optimistic next year, the caution comes from our schedule. 

This year needs to end well and I am cautiously optimistic there too. We have a home game, but the team needs to rally. The big fear is the beavs beat us with Thibs and Sewell playing all out. What will be the magic DeRuyter throws at them?

Agree the ceiling gets raised with the ball gets thrown, with the receivers who can catch, and run. Right now we are a limited team, and the opposing coordinators are figuring out to limit those limitations.

On 11/21/2021 at 11:49 PM, Haywarduck said:

I am cautiously optimistic next year, the caution comes from our schedule. 

This year needs to end well and I am cautiously optimistic there too. We have a home game, but the team needs to rally. The big fear is the beavs beat us with Thibs and Sewell playing all out. What will be the magic DeRuyter throws at them?

Agree the ceiling gets raised with the ball gets thrown, with the receivers who can catch, and run. Right now we are a limited team, and the opposing coordinators are figuring out to limit those limitations.

God bless you. The 2022 schedule? Opening 'at' Georgia with a QB who has not thrown a pass in for real playing time? And not against Portland State but against UGA?

I love your and others optimism but I just don't see it?