deschutesduck

Moorhead to... Akron??

I think I'd rather be OC at Oregon than HC at Akron...

"Oregon offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead has emerged as the leading candidate to be the next head coach at Akron, according to sources. A deal could be finalized within the next 24 hours.

Moorhead spent five years as an assistant coach at Akron from 2004-2008, including the school’s only MAC football championship in 2005 and two seasons as offensive coordinator."

It just occurred to me with it being silly season maybe we should have a  general coaching rumors thread? 🤔

I dont think so but.......

Or, as Sylvester and Daffy might quip, "Thilly Theathon?" (with extra spit thrown in...)

tumblr_m0p8xrJMre1r6bv6fo1_500.gif1304071076_daffy-with-gun.gif?fit=426,34

Let's not get hasty pulling the trigger!

Edited by woundedknees
  • Haha 1

Serious coaches don't go to Akron.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2021 at 9:17 PM, geoquack said:

Serious coaches don't go to Akron.

Actually, Moorhead has a history there. If he wants to be a head coach at a power 5 school again, it's probably an easier leap as a head coach as opposed to an OC.

On 11/28/2021 at 9:52 PM, latracey said:

Actually, Moorhead has a history there. If he wants to be a head coach at a power 5 school again, it's probably an easier leap as a head coach as opposed to an OC.

I agree. I think the last three seasons records at Akron are 0-12, 1-5, and 2-10. If he can get them to bowl eligibility and show his system be effective over the next 2-3 seasons he will all of the sudden be a name on some short lists for a power five job looking to make a change. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If he wants to go... That's ok ... It will hurt but at the same time we all knew it was going to happen sooner or later. 

He will be around for the championship game and I just hope this drama doesn't effect the game itself.

It would be great for him to say he is going to stay through the bowl game (Rose Bowl hopefully). However, with the early signing period that is not making me hopeful... Securing the recruiting class is just too important. 

I know MC wouldn't say it ... But with his first game coaching at Oregon days after the signing period we all know where his focus was at. A bowl game just doesn't mean what is used to where a recruiting class is the foundation of the program. 

• Thumbs Up 2

SMU + LA TECH are open. Akron is bottom basement.

My 'surprise' hire for UW: Bret Bielema.

On 11/29/2021 at 9:09 AM, Jon Joseph said:

SMU + LA TECH are open. Akron is bottom basement.

My 'surprise' hire for UW: Bret Bielema.

And with Oklahoma now looking for coaches too that will open up more jobs. 

Akron Zips ( yes their team is the Zips) paid their last coach $425,000. Morehead makes $900,000 here. Only Morehead can determine if working under work-a-holic Mario is worth 1/2 million.  

When I see Morehead's picture with the grey beard (he's 48) and I look in the mirror at my grey beard, I think " Damn I look pretty good". I'm 25 years older. I don't have anywhere near the football knowledge or stress.