Charles Fischer

Moorhead Leaving: Pundits Seeing What We Have Been Discussing...

On 12/3/2021 at 12:30 PM, David Marsh said:

Part of me still thinks that 2020 threw off a lot of the progression of this team. Shough performed fairly well in 2020 but the end of the season he just collapsed and burned out, he was trying to play hero ball and it resulted in him turning the ball over and being ineffective on offense. Brown actually has the SAME problem this year when he tries to put the team on his shoulders. 

This year I get the feeling the coaches really want to protect the freshman quaterbacks and ensure they have time to develop and not have a repeat of last year. Remember in 2020 there was a partial Spring camp, no summer training, and a very short and very hastily put together fall camp into a short season. Moorhead's full scheme didn't get installed until this year, and last year they were really using the Arroyo scheme for the first 3-4 games because that is what Shough knew, due to a lack of prep. 

This next OC hire is going to be huge as it will show where the program is going. Do we get a vertical passing attack or do we stick with short passes? I am hoping for an OC who can develop a QB and get a passing attack on track. We have the receivers now, we didn't when Herbert was with the team, for a quarterback to feed if they can get the ball to them as a reliable passer. 

I do think Akron is an escape job for Moorhead... though I think a large portion of that escape isn't about his offense and the play calling but instead about the recruiting. Cristobal demands a lot out of his coaches in terms of recruiting. Oregon is NOT an easy place to recruit to no matter what anyone says, however, it is not impossible to recruit to Oregon either. It just takes works... a lot of work. Moorhead may not want to work that hard, which is absolutely fine because I don't think the vast majority of us want to work that hard (maybe Charles already does). 

The offense right now looks a lot like a Moorhead offense seen at other places at this point. The vertical passing attack isn't there but Brown really can't produce a passing attack like that anyways. Also... Thompson has played in 3-4 games (I am counting 3 but I may be forgetting one appearance) and is in place to preserve his red-shirt at this point which, barring an injury to Brown, is something I think the coaches want to keep at this point for Thompson. So the coaches are sticking with Brown an his limitations. 

Thompson won't make to his senior year. He will be leave after his sophomore or junior year depending on how well he performs. So, Mario shouldn't have even been worrying about redshirts.

On 12/3/2021 at 10:19 AM, GODUCKS15 said:

Experienced players are only beneficial if the game plan works. AB was pretty inconsistent throughout the season. AB was a 6 year senior

with lots of playing experience. I'm just not sure that no matter how good they players are that they'll get to shine in under MC. Would the

Ducks have lost to Stanford or UT if Herbert were playing? Maybe not but Justin's not the norm.  

We would have easily beaten Furd with an average head coach and a serviceable QB, didn't have to be a Justin Herbert elite.  We didn't have either!

Edited by DuckIt