Charles Fischer

Moorhead Leaving: Pundits Seeing What We Have Been Discussing...

"Cristobal clearly has a vision of how he wants his team to play, and it’s not throwing the ball all over the field, whether the quarterback is Anthony Brown, Tyler Shough, or Justin Herbert."

Ritchie: Why UO’s Joe Moorhead May Jump to Akron by Steve and Eli Ritchie of SportsPac12

joe-moorhead-oregon-800x445.jpeg

Do you think Mullens would have hired Cristobal had he known of the massive drop in offense that was coming?  So...Moorhead was also sold one thing, and then surprised with something else?

People have been unhappy with me for suggesting that Cristobal snookered Mullens in his hiring interview.  But the day of the Cristobal introductory press conference that I attended....I stayed afterward and spoke privately with Cristobal for 20 minutes.  When I left...there was nobody in the world who had a better idea of what Mario planned on offense for Oregon.

And it was not what we have seen.  Akron is not a coaching destination.....it is an escape.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Hmmmmm…….

On 12/3/2021 at 8:34 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Akron is not a coaching destination.....it is an escape.

Nailed it! And will Mario's insistence on dictating the offense prevent innovative OC's from wanting the job?

• Thumbs Up 1

Then why did Mario recruit prize passing QBs such as Butterfield and Thompson?

• Thumbs Up 1

“We're systematic. And we're systematic from a cultural standpoint as well.” Cristobal said. “We do things a certain way. And

when you come here to Oregon, you have to do things our way. We tweak schemes. We make adjustments, we make

advances, we progress. But we do things a certain way. So for us and our players, they know us. We’re honest with them.

There are no concerns.”

Next OC up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure what Sports Pac12 is but, after reading this opinion piece and rooking at their recruiter rankings posted in another thread, it seems more like a click bait site than a legitimate news operation.  Andy Avalos as OC is probably a typo that wasn't proofed.  They dismiss that of the three coordinators who left two got head coaching jobs.  They decry the Akron job as a big step down (it is) but ignore that that at Miss State the local paper reported "His tenure was also marred by scandal".  Isn't a lower level job is a path to rehabbing your reputation?  As for the Akron salary I believe JM still has at least another years pay from Mississippi so his income won't be affected at all.

Sorry, not impressed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Part of me still thinks that 2020 threw off a lot of the progression of this team. Shough performed fairly well in 2020 but the end of the season he just collapsed and burned out, he was trying to play hero ball and it resulted in him turning the ball over and being ineffective on offense. Brown actually has the SAME problem this year when he tries to put the team on his shoulders. 

This year I get the feeling the coaches really want to protect the freshman quaterbacks and ensure they have time to develop and not have a repeat of last year. Remember in 2020 there was a partial Spring camp, no summer training, and a very short and very hastily put together fall camp into a short season. Moorhead's full scheme didn't get installed until this year, and last year they were really using the Arroyo scheme for the first 3-4 games because that is what Shough knew, due to a lack of prep. 

This next OC hire is going to be huge as it will show where the program is going. Do we get a vertical passing attack or do we stick with short passes? I am hoping for an OC who can develop a QB and get a passing attack on track. We have the receivers now, we didn't when Herbert was with the team, for a quarterback to feed if they can get the ball to them as a reliable passer. 

I do think Akron is an escape job for Moorhead... though I think a large portion of that escape isn't about his offense and the play calling but instead about the recruiting. Cristobal demands a lot out of his coaches in terms of recruiting. Oregon is NOT an easy place to recruit to no matter what anyone says, however, it is not impossible to recruit to Oregon either. It just takes works... a lot of work. Moorhead may not want to work that hard, which is absolutely fine because I don't think the vast majority of us want to work that hard (maybe Charles already does). 

The offense right now looks a lot like a Moorhead offense seen at other places at this point. The vertical passing attack isn't there but Brown really can't produce a passing attack like that anyways. Also... Thompson has played in 3-4 games (I am counting 3 but I may be forgetting one appearance) and is in place to preserve his red-shirt at this point which, barring an injury to Brown, is something I think the coaches want to keep at this point for Thompson. So the coaches are sticking with Brown an his limitations. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 12:24 PM, McDuck said:

I'm not sure what Sports Pac12 is but, after reading this opinion piece and rooking at their recruiter rankings posted in another thread, it seems more like a click bait site than a legitimate news operation.  Andy Avalos as OC is probably a typo that wasn't proofed.  They dismiss that of the three coordinators who left two got head coaching jobs.  They decry the Akron job as a big step down (it is) but ignore that that at Miss State the local paper reported "His tenure was also marred by scandal".  Isn't a lower level job is a path to rehabbing your reputation?  As for the Akron salary I believe JM still has at least another years pay from Mississippi so his income won't be affected at all.

Sorry, not impressed.

I would add that Mike Leach is doing just fine at MS ST. However, the turnover at OC/DC does not help the cause. Look at how long the coordinators have been with Dabo at Clemson?

On 12/3/2021 at 11:52 AM, jrw said:

Then why did Mario recruit prize passing QBs such as Butterfield and Thompson?

To keep then from playing for other teams? They haven't played much for the Ducks.

• Haha 1

On 12/3/2021 at 11:45 AM, 30Duck said:

Nailed it! And will Mario's insistence on dictating the offense prevent innovative OC's from wanting the job?

30, here is a question I am getting sick and tired of asking before every game no matter how good or bad the opponent: Will the team show, or no?

Frankly, if another team hired Mario away it would not break my heart. The man has won one exhibition game Rose Bowl over a 3L team by one point with the NFL Rookie of the Year playing QB and folks want to pay the man $9M! He is a heck of a salesman, look at the recruiting rankings, but IMO, his ceiling is the Rose Bowl when the RB is not a playoff semi-final site.

He has taken the air out of the ball and the heart (at least as represented by lack of consistent effort) out of the team. 

• Thumbs Up 3

If true, Moorhead is going from Oregon to leading Zip. Would you go from leading one of the most innovative, exciting programs to zip if you were actually leading an innovative, exciting program?

A job as the head coach of the Akron Zips isn't a lateral or a move up from the OC at Oregon. 

OC's from Oregon are still getting jobs elsewhere, but our OC's aren't what they once were when they came, innovated and grew under Bellotti, and even Kelly.  

This may be an indicator of the future. UNLV went from 0-6 to 2-10, and now Moorhead is going to the Zips.  What does this mean long term?

Does this mean Cristobal is developing or stifling the growth of OC's? Will we continue to be a place OC's want to come to build their resume's? 

When evaluating things their is the image, and then there is the reality. What is the reality of our offensive side of the ball, the OC's and player development?

One issue not addressed regarding JM’s Akron move is his health. Life in a familiar environment with plenty of leash where expectations are not too high should keep the stress level lower than had he taken a higher profile job. Either way, he’s in rebuild mode, so why not do it where it’s best for himself?

And, isn’t ‘escape’ kind of a moot point, if not a forgone conclusion?  You can argue the move as an escape, but wasn’t it clear from the beginning that his time at Oregon was very temporary? He made it pretty clear to me that he wanted to get back to his previous level. What’s not so clear is how much of this first move is colored by MC’s cramping of his style, or his own timeline. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Moorhead previously coached at Akron as an assistant coach from 2004-2008, which is when the school won it's only MAC championship in 2005.

I agree it's his health. We don't know what kind of surgery he had but it was an emergency so it's was serious.

I believe if or when it goes down its the importance and tremendous amount of work recruiting that MC requires and his lack of health or desire to do so.

As far as the idea that it's MC and his offensive mindset, JM knew what it was before he accepted the job.

MC has been explicit in his desire to control the game, running the ball and taking what the defense gave him.

Whether it's running all game or passing,since he became HC that and  recruiting has been his mojo.

We just don't have the QB with the accuracy. With that combined with youth of the team since 2019, Covid and injuries this year we really haven't seen what our team can and will be.

I believe if JM moves on, MC will find a great OC and the DUCKS will keep on flying.

Edited by Duck 1972
Didn't finish accidentally posted.
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/3/2021 at 9:41 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Frankly, if another team hired Mario away it would not break my heart.

At this point I agree with this statement. While I think it would severely hurt us in the short term I think a lot of us fans would be much happier in the long term with a different style of play at Oregon.

As for JM, I do somewhat agree with the premise of the article. There is too much smoke for there not to be a fire. Mycah Pittman and two other highly recruited receivers bailing after observing the Oregon offense this season and let's be honest folks.....it's been four years and this IS the offense for Oregon. It's not changing....and it's not going to change under Cristobal.

Love the recruiting  but at the end of the day I would rather watch hungry 3 star guys give 110% effort and put up about 40 points a game.....even if it means we lose more games 48-40. Personally I am interested in watching a team that throws it 40-50 times per game.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/3/2021 at 10:57 AM, C J said:

Mycah Pittman and two other highly recruited receivers bailing

For Pitman at least, not being able to crack the top spots in the receiving corp was probably a deciding factor.  His production has dropped off like the ball out of his hands on too numerous of occasions.  

The loss of the Ark recruit could be a combo of Ark being better than expected, a really good Ark track team, being able to stay home, crowded WR room.

On 12/3/2021 at 10:57 AM, C J said:

Love the recruiting  but at the end of the day I would rather watch hungry 3 star guys give 110% effort and put up about 40 points a game.....even if it means we lose more games 48-40. Personally I am interested in watching a team that throws it 40-50 times per game.

Successful programs recruit well, and expect assistant coaches to leave to become head coaches.

Successful programs win, sometimes ugly.

Winning is the new culture at Oregon.  

Coach C is winning.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 11:13 AM, Duck1984 said:

Coach C is winning.

We shall see tonight, but I generally agree with your points of view.

The question I ask myself is do I prefer watching a team winning ugly in most games and losing a few games each season that we should easily win or would I rather watch an unconstrained offense win all the games we are supposed to win because we are boat racing teams by 3+ scores, but we occasionally run into a team that can score more points or perhaps their defense completely stifles us?

Unfortunately it is much more complicated than just having a new more offensive minded coach come in. I don't know the right answer but I do know I should be more grateful for Cristobal then I have been in the past. I am trying but I still find myself frequently frustrated.

On 12/3/2021 at 8:34 AM, Charles Fischer said:

"Cristobal clearly has a vision of how he wants his team to play, and it’s not throwing the ball all over the field, whether the quarterback is Anthony Brown, Tyler Shough, or Justin Herbert."

Ritchie: Why UO’s Joe Moorhead May Jump to Akron by Steve and Eli Ritchie of SportsPac12

joe-moorhead-oregon-800x445.jpeg

Do you think Mullens would have hired Cristobal had he known of the massive drop in offense that was coming?  So...Moorhead was also sold one thing, and then surprised with something else?

People have been unhappy with me for suggesting that Cristobal snookered Mullens in his hiring interview.  But the day of the Cristobal introductory press conference that I attended....I stayed afterward and spoke privately with Cristobal for 20 minutes.  When I left...there was nobody in the world who had a better idea of what Mario planned on offense for Oregon.

And it was not what we have seen.  Akron is not a coaching destination.....it is an escape.

An out-of-the-park home run, Charles. I couldn't agree more. This is one of the biggest reasons I'm not a Mario fan. And I think it'll hurt us in the long run.

On 12/3/2021 at 11:27 AM, OregonRich said:

An out-of-the-park home run, Charles. I couldn't agree more. This is one of the biggest reasons I'm not a Mario fan. And I think it'll hurt us in the long run.

And, no, my negative opinion of Mario doesn't stem from being a "spoiled fan." My undergrad years (early 80s) were spent watching the Ducks lose and lose badly. And, back then, it always rained in Autzen Stadium. 

• Haha 3

Again I reiterate my belief that most of the complaints about MC are unfounded based on the YOUTH of the team since 2019, Covid and injuries this season.

I can't wait to see what happens next year. As far as wanting to control the LOS, running the ball to create the passing game and recruiting I love MC and what he is doing.

MORE EXPERIENCE EQUALS BETTER PERFORMANCE.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

On 12/3/2021 at 1:23 PM, Steven A said:

Moorhead previously coached at Akron as an assistant coach from 2004-2008, which is when the school won it's only MAC championship in 2005.

There is at least 1 great golf course in Akron.

• Haha 1

Look...again I've stated how I like so much of Mario, and frankly--I do not see great alternatives out there.  But my point is going to be pretty easy to prove in the next month; how many points were averaged over two years of Arroyo and how many points per game were averaged for two years under Moorhead?

Compare that to the 43 point per game average over a prior nine year period and going to two 'Nattys?

My point is...changing coordinators under Cristobal did not change the scoring average, and neither will the next one.

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/3/2021 at 2:35 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Again I reiterate my belief that most of the complaints about MC are unfounded based on the YOUTH of the team since 2019, Covid and injuries this season.

I can't wait to see what happens next year. As far as wanting to control the LOS, running the ball to create the passing game and recruiting I love MC and what he is doing.

MORE EXPERIENCE EQUALS BETTER PERFORMANCE.

I generally do agree with this take. However, has the team improved game by game since the win at Ohio State?

Injuries happen to every team and the better teams overcome. Mr. T did not play in Columbus. Facing Georgia tomorrow Bama is down to 1 fully healthy RB. 

I've seen the same movie four years running.

I do hope Oregon smacks Utah and blows out the opponent in the Rose Bowl. I'm with Charles. Mario is a good man. We all want to see him do well at Oregon. But before the field expands IMO he will not take the Ducks to the CFP.

Edited by Jon Joseph

Experienced players are only beneficial if the game plan works. AB was pretty inconsistent throughout the season. AB was a 6 year senior

with lots of playing experience. I'm just not sure that no matter how good they players are that they'll get to shine in under MC. Would the

Ducks have lost to Stanford or UT if Herbert were playing? Maybe not but Justin's not the norm.  

On 12/3/2021 at 11:58 AM, Jon Joseph said:

There is at least 1 great golf course in Akron.

Maybe that is why he is up in the press box now, to keep his head down.

• Haha 1

Championship caliber teams usually have good back up QBs. Why dont we?

On 12/3/2021 at 3:23 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Championship caliber teams usually have good back up QBs. Why dont we?

Maybe 'we' do? But how would anyone who has not attended practice know?

• Thumbs Up 1

When Moorhead was first hired I figured it wouldn't be long till he was gone if he couldn't run the offense he wanted to... kinda pointless doing a rehab tour at Oregon if you can't show your skills.  That said over the past few games aside from Utah the offense has been a bit more innovative and unpredictable which is nice.

As to total points scored ironically i think it's also on the defense.  Yes AB isn't great with the deep ball which hurts a chance at explosive plays but the bend don't break defense spends so much time on the field letting the other team drive the length of the field it takes away a lot of time the offense could use to score more.

• Thumbs Up 1

Watching the trajectory of a head coach from the view point of a fan when things aren’t going quite as well as we’d like is a bit like sky diving for the first time. The tendency is to jerk the rip cord before you’ve had the chance to dive. 

If there is one lesson I’ve learned with Oregon it’s to be patient with head coaches. You just never know what’s around the corner.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/3/2021 at 12:25 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Maybe 'we' do? But how would anyone who has not attended practice know?

Either the talent was way overrated or we cant develop worth a crap. There is NO other answer

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_canzano/2021/12/canzano-miami-may-be-waiting-on-mario-cristobal-but-oregon-has-its-arms-around-him.html

I certainly empathize will all of the above comments made by those of you who are not crazy about Cristobal. As Charles stated, the style and output of Oregon's offense has not changed much from Arroyo to "offensive genius" Moorhead; and that seems to indicate that, regardless of who the OC is, MC has his fingers in the mix of the offense. Having been a former lineman has definitely influenced the kind of offense he prefers.

It seems certain that Moorhead is heading for Akron. I'm sure Akron will pony up and figure out how to pay him at least as much as he makes at Oregon. It's a curious move, but Moorhead is a complicated man who keeps his cards close to the vest. Trying to read into his decision is pure speculation, but former head coaches are rarely satisfied being anything else.

Looming in the background, as stated in the article I posted above, is the fact that Miami clearly wants MC. In spite of the fact that Oregon has given MC complete control of the football program, MC has strong ties to Miami. Riley and Kelly had complete control of their programs as well, but that didn't stop them from bouncing to what they perceive as better situations. Love him, or not, the threat that Miami poses is real. 

Seems like a lot of the problems we have with Mario are what my wife would call "first world problems". MC is currently at the helm of a young team that is riddled with more injuries than most that has figured out a way to win 10 games and is ranked in the top 10 teams in the nation. He is certainly one of the most successful coaches Oregon has ever had. It's easy to say that we'd be happier to see a more wide open offense that was more exciting to watch, even if it meant more losses, but is that really true? 

It's obvious that MC is under a lot of duress with his OC probably leaving after the game tonight and the severe illness of his mother hanging over his head. I'm interested to see how he has prepared Oregon to play in a game that almost NONE of the "experts" think Oregon can win after a 31 point loss to the same team 2 weeks ago. Great coaches find ways to inspire their teams to true greatness. We know MC is a good coach. Tonight we find out if he is a Great coach.

Edited by latracey
  • Like 1

Let's see, 10-2 record playing for a Rose Bowl berth.  A team comprised of primarily freshmen, RS freshmen and sophomores.  How the sky  must be falling.  Remember back some of you when we would go 1-8 but have a "successful" season when we beat the Beavers.

As long as MC and staff can recruit at such a high level and put a goodly # of players into the "league".......then we have a chance to be not just good but very good.  Did we get spoiled with the glory years of the Chipster......from an offensive point certainly.  But we're building a consensus power in this conference.  I guess some people wouldn't be satisfied if they got hung with a new rope.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 12/3/2021 at 9:41 AM, Jon Joseph said:

30, here is a question I am getting sick and tired of asking before every game no matter how good or bad the opponent: Will the team show, or no?

Frankly, if another team hired Mario away it would not break my heart. The man has won one exhibition game Rose Bowl over a 3L team by one point with the NFL Rookie of the Year playing QB and folks want to pay the man $9M

Jon, I'm with you in all of this. I didn't think the Ducks had a chance against OH. ST. and they win! But they couldn't really put Stony Brook away? Unfortunately, I don't believe Mario's "Coaching" had much to do with either. 

He is a control freak, but his Mission Statement so far is to work harder, dominate the LOS, neither of which the Ducks do consistently. 

If Mike Leach were to be named Oregon's next coach, I would abandon the Ducks and play BIngo on Saturday's. But, at Leach had a discernible plan, it doesn't win a lot, but you know what you're going to get. You also know what the teams that do win a lot is going to do.

We see it, and I'm sure the players and coaches do too. I don't think Mario's game plan varies week to week. Chip didn't change either, but he had a plan, Fresno State played tougher than Oregon did but wasn't as talented. Utah took all the fight out of Oregon in SLC, Mario wasn't going to scheme the Ducks back, so that one was done. 

It won't be any different against the Utes this time either. The Ducks are still more talented than the Utes are, but can AB hit the passes this week.

It wouldn't break my heart if Mario left, but unless he picks up another Game Manager in the Portal, what the offense will look like with Thompson or Butterfield at QB.

On 12/3/2021 at 12:33 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Either the talent was way overrated or we cant develop worth a crap. There is NO other answer

Well.. it is your answer.. the talent could be developing. Not every player is ready to play as a true freshman, many of the true freshman pressed into service this year weren't ready to play but they played because they were needed. I think Keith Brown would have red-shirted based on his overall production if Flowe and Mathis weren't both injured in game one. We will get our answer next year as to how well the talent has developed. 

Remember... Marcus Mariota was a red-shirt and by all accounts he needed that red-shirt year to grasp the college football game. He turned out pretty good for Oregon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/3/2021 at 2:01 PM, David Marsh said:

Well.. it is your answer.. the talent could be developing. Not every player is ready to play as a true freshman, many of the true freshman pressed into service this year weren't ready to play but they played because they were needed. I think Keith Brown would have red-shirted based on his overall production if Flowe and Mathis weren't both injured in game one. We will get our answer next year as to how well the talent has developed. 

Remember... Marcus Mariota was a red-shirt and by all accounts he needed that red-shirt year to grasp the college football game. He turned out pretty good for Oregon. 

I agree with you for a team on the way up but If you are taking the next step you need a backup that's ready to go when needed. Let me take it one more step --not having a decent backup QB could make or break a team even on the way up. By now we should have someone with game experience. Dont Forget Ohio St  beat us in the NCG using a 3rd string QB. ---just sayin.

Edited by 1Ducker1

On 12/3/2021 at 2:12 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I agree with you for a team on the way up but If you are taking the next step you need a backup that's ready to go when needed.

That is the next level that I would say this Oregon team does not have... or maybe they do but if Brown is good they don't want to put in Thompson at this point in the year to ensure he can be a back-up in case of an injury. I think he can play in one more game before his red-shirt is burned. At this point in the year might as well preserve that red-shirt. Granted... if Thompson comes out next year and blows away the competition and looks like the next big quarterback at Oregon he may not use up all his eligibility anyways... but always best to preserve it when possible. 

Don't Forget Ohio St beat us in the NCG using a 3rd string QB. ---just sayin.

This is the difference between Oh. St., Alabama, and the other teams that have been in the top 5 recruiting for years. The talent assembled on these teams is so deep that, they can beat you with their 3rd string QB, 

As an earlier poster said he remembers the 80's well.  I remember not only the 80's, but the 70's when we were lucky to win a game as well as the 50's and 60's when Casanova was a hero because we normally had a winning season under, maybe only by one game, but a winning season.  Then in the 70's it was a disaster, Rich was hired and it took him a long long time to start to turn the program around.  Will our OC leave, I think he'd be making a big mistake, Akron is not a stepping stone to a bigger and better job, and I also think he most likely needs a year to get his health totally back.

When Bellotti took over he made believers out of the vast majority of fans, and single handedly elevated the program.  He convinced a generation of new fans that The Ducks could be a consistently winning program.

Cristobal reminds me in some ways of Bellotti.  His wife and family love living in Eugene.  I remember asking him in his first year how is recruiting going and he said, and I quote "It's Duck Soup".  He then told me that Oregon and Eugene was the easiest place to recruit to that he had ever been involved with.  With the financial situation  with Oregon Athletics now and even more in the future, he and his coaching staff will only make more and more money, and the program will be consistently a winner.

It amazes me how so many fans are upset when we lose 2 games.  Look up the 1958 Rose Bowl teams record.  Look at the Washington-Oregon series record before Bellotti.  I think Cristobal is a long termer, the only job I could see him taking would be Alabama, if offered.  He's done a great job and will continue to do so.  I just don't see Moorhead leaving at least not for Akron, if he did I think that would be the end of his career as a head coach.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Dont Forget Ohio St  beat us in the NCG using a 3rd string QB. ---just sayin.

We did get run over by Zeke Elliot and those massive offensive and defensive lines. Oregon's smaller lines were beaten down and then Elliot ran over our leaky run defense. That was also the year that Pellum was the DC and basically refused to blitz and only ever rushed 3... 

Our lines now are able to go toe-to-toe with Ohio State and we all saw how the outcome was different. 

On 12/3/2021 at 2:45 PM, mrspenney said:

I remember not only the 80's, but the 70's when we were lucky to win a game

mrspenney....the only negative about your posts is that I wish we would see more of them.  You have a great perspective of the program, and I always appreciate your "takes" on a topic.  Thanks for posting!

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/3/2021 at 1:01 PM, FG Lumber said:

Let's see, 10-2 record playing for a Rose Bowl berth.  A team comprised of primarily freshmen, RS freshmen and sophomores.  How the sky  must be falling.  Remember back some of you when we would go 1-8 but have a "successful" season when we beat the Beavers.

As long as MC and staff can recruit at such a high level and put a goodly # of players into the "league".......then we have a chance to be not just good but very good.  Did we get spoiled with the glory years of the Chipster......from an offensive point certainly.  But we're building a consensus power in this conference.  I guess some people wouldn't be satisfied if they got hung with a new rope.  

I remember way back when the Ducks would barely crack the top 25 only to lose the following weekend and never be back in for the remainder of the season. How times have changed.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/3/2021 at 2:55 PM, Charles Fischer said:

mrspenney....the only negative about your posts is that I wish we would see more of them.  You have a great perspective of the program, and I always appreciate your "takes" on a topic.  Thanks for posting!

Couldn't agree more.  Former player I believe, very knowledgeable.  

On 12/3/2021 at 2:45 PM, mrspenney said:

It amazes me how so many fans are upset when we lose 2 games.  

I too, am amazed at the levels of upset when the Ducks lose.  I too, remember the feeling of a “winning season” where we actually won MORE games than we lost!

If the football gods smile on us today the flavor of the posts next week will be sweet, how great it will be to be a Duck.  We will pontificate the astuteness of the coaching, the athleticism of our young men, and the prowess of the referees.

If the football gods smile on Utah, the timbre of the posts will be bitter.  Never mind that we finished 9-3 and went to a (mid-level) bowl game.  We will decry the ineptitude of the coaches, the bumbling of the players and the blindness of the refs.

I personally will miss any coaches who chose to leave, and appreciate the one who stay.  Win, lose or draw, I plan to watch the bowl game and root for the Ducks all the way.  I will follow that by rooting for MBB, WBB, Baseball, Softball, Track & Field, Golf teams.

May the football gods smile on our Ducks today, may the ball bounce on our direction. Let our boys be swift of foot and sure of hand.  Let all the months of training result in crisp blocking, sure tackling, open pass routes, accurate throws and yards after contact.

Go Ducks!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 12/3/2021 at 4:40 PM, PittDuck said:

Never mind that we finished 9-3

We are 10-2 now...and ten wins is great no matter what!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

So I'm a liar....

I'm back 

What are my screens?  

Where are the routes that occupy the LBs so Brown can check down to his RB ( the only terror he seems to like).

Why won't JM roll Brown, or give him boot action pass plays?

The formations JM set up for passes don't play to Brown's strengths at all.  

This is a waste of the defensive effort.

This is the coaching I'm disappointed with 

Edited by Mike West

At least we all found out the TRUTH tonight. Over the winter maybe the AD will have a heart-to-heart talk with MC and get him re-directed/re-coerced. Otherwise, what is the point in having the world's greatest fruit-picker continue to let all that ripe fruit rot in the basket?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/3/2021 at 10:48 AM, Duck 1972 said:

We don't know what kind of surgery he had but it was an emergency so it's was serious.

The thing with the emergency surgery is it could have been as simple as an appendectomy or something far more serious, such as needing a sent put in to remove the threat of an obstructed artery... My dad had a catheter oblation for ventricular tachycardia at the age of 65+. His recovery waas similar to JM's.

On 12/3/2021 at 5:01 PM, David Marsh said:

Utah at one time this evening had 8 frosh, true and COVID. on the field playing D. Ohio State, Oklahoma and Alabama QBs are all freshman.

• Thumbs Up 2