30Duck

Miami will go Big to get Mario

Most of the article, Miami Closes in on Clemson AD, Targets Oregon Coach, Mario Cristobal , Sources say, Miami Herald Susan Miller Degnan, Barry Jackson and Michelle Kaufman

is about the AD, Dan Radakovich, But this is about Cristobal:

High ranking Hurricanes officials are optimistic about landing Cristobal in the coming days, An announcement is expected before Tuesday. UM understands that it would need to pay Cristobal more than its paid any coach in its history-perhaps in the 8 million per year range-and is prepared to do so.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep, it's going to happen, because they are going to match or even beat any offers Mullens puts forward.

While I see both sides of the coin on this I have decided to land on the side that this is a good thing. 

We need to change the trajectory of our offense and this is really the only way to get that done. 

Edited by C J
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/4/2021 at 4:38 PM, C J said:

Yep, it's going to happen, because they are going to match or even beat any offers Mullens puts forward.

It does look like Oregon will blink , and congrats to the U, Oregon can do what it has always done; the next coach builds on what the one before him left. This close to Signing Day will need Mullens to act fast, but not recklessly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

"The report added, “Brian Kelly and Lincoln Riley dollars, I’m told.’’ I'd rather see those dollars go to a different HC than Mario. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Mario has a big decision before him.

Stay at a school that has a 25 year successful culture and process in place. Oregon has been close to the top of the mountain, (Joey Harrington years. Ducks got jobbed out of a Natty spot). Then fell down for a few years. (Bellotti, Kelly and MH took us back to the top twice.)

Then the 4-8 and 7-6 years with MH and Slick. (Then the 4 year climb back near the top under MC.)

Thru it all each staff stuck to the Oregon culture and process. During that time Oregon boosters, especially Phil and Penny poured untold millions into facilities and state of the art everything. The fan support was spectacular.

Miami on the other hand got to the top 30 years ago and stayed thru Johnson and Erickson. Hats off they broke thru and butt whipped all the blue bloods. Well done....

However Miami had no culture or process in place. No investment into facilities by boosters. Coker could not maintain and for 20 plus years the Canes have been an after thought.

So MC can choose to maintain and grow the established culture at Oregon. Enjoy unlimited booster support and get Oregon to the top. He has about 60 plus blue chip established players to work with.

Or

He can go home. Start fresh from the ground up. Then establish the needed culture and process and take the Canes back to the top. He can maybe hope the boosters will invest hundreds of millions to upgrade facilities.

Either way MC will get it done.

I just hope he remembers which school gave him his second chance as a head coach. MC talks about loyalty. Let's see if he means it.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 9:01 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Mario has a big decision before him.

Stay at a school that has a 25 year successful culture and process in place. Oregon has been close to the top of the mountain, (Joey Harrington years. Ducks got jobbed out of a Natty spot). Then fell down for a few years. (Bellotti, Kelly and MH took us back to the top twice.)

Then the 4-8 and 7-6 years with MH and Slick. (Then the 4 year climb back near the top under MC.)

Thru it all each staff stuck to the Oregon culture and process. During that time Oregon boosters, especially Phil and Penny poured untold millions into facilities and state of the art everything. The fan support was spectacular.

Miami on the other hand got to the top 30 years ago and stayed thru Johnson and Erickson. Hats off they broke thru and butt whipped all the blue bloods. Well done....

However Miami had no culture or process in place. No investment into facilities by boosters. Coker could not maintain and for 20 plus years the Canes have been an after thought.

So MC can choose to maintain and grow the established culture at Oregon. Enjoy unlimited booster support and get Oregon to the top. He has about 60 plus blue chip established players to work with.

Or

He can go home. Start fresh from the ground up. Then establish the needed culture and process and take the Canes back to the top. He can maybe hope the boosters will invest hundreds of millions to upgrade facilities.

Either way MC will get it done.

I just hope he remembers which school gave him his second chance as a head coach. MC talks about loyalty. Let's see if he means it.

Yes,  We are going to see who Mario really is soon!

• Like 1

I can’t think of any Oregon head coach who has caused more extreme reactions — both positive and negative than MC.  He’s like a classic case of can’t live with him, can’t live without him. Which makes me wonder yet again why it’s so hard to find a coach who can recruit AND coach? Anybody out there named Chip Cristobol looking for a job?

Edited by Washington Waddler
Grammar
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 12/4/2021 at 9:37 PM, Washington Waddler said:

I can’t think of any Oregon head coach who has caused more extreme reactions — both positive and negative than MC.

Yes, without a doubt. I know I for one have experienced this phenomena in spades for the past several seasons.

I think the reason has to do with with how you can clearly see some of the boneheadedness....it's almost painful. On the other end of the spectrum though you see an everyman's kind of guy, who seems incredibly trustworthy and sincere. A guy that it's hard to stay mad at for very long.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest KingT

I would let him go if they pass the $7M mark. Reset the program, take your lumps, move forward. He's coming into year 4 -- either a guy wants to stay long term or he's job hopping and wants out. You let them go and search for a guy who wants to be at Oregon for the long haul and who can also coach.

On 12/4/2021 at 9:37 PM, Washington Waddler said:

I can’t think of any Oregon head coach who has caused more extreme reactions — both positive and negative than MC.  He’s like a classic case of can’t live with him, can’t live without him. Which makes me wonder yet again why it’s so hard to find a coach who can recruit AND coach? Anybody out there named Chip Cristobol looking for a job?

Or Mario Helfrich-Kelly?

The "Canes" have hired other former players and grads as head coach with not a lot of luck-- just sayin.