CalBear95

The Identity of Oregon Football and Reaching the Mountain Top

When I think about the Crossroads (admittedly borrowing from earlier post because this is spot on) Oregon football finds itself, I think 'where does Oregon take this journey that started with...

That is the spirit of Oregon at its core.  Special, scrappy, humble, but today, elite.

My wife has, I think, the level of cynicism born of years of heartbreak.  She loves the Ducks but holds back (that's what the Ducks do.  Blow it.) because the heartbreak is too much.  When I remember her reaction to the infamous Auburn 'roll over the tackler and keep running' it truly broke my heart.  She truly hurt and that pained me almost to the point of tears.

And I sense many Duck fans are at this point now.  And I think there are those who want to, understandably, embrace the familiar be it the recent past or more distant.  And then there are those who just want the 'natty' outcome (Urban Meyer).

Urban's personality, as well as those of his ilk, are, IMHO, in direct contrast with the spirit of The Pick.  The reversion to the known is more pure in its intent but I too view it as contrary to that same moment.

The Pick is when it all changed.  The trajectory from always getting beat down and condescended to by the hated Husky fans.  

I say go big but go humble.  Be the P12 bully that you kinda actually like because of the good natured and passionate fans, a really adorable mascot, Puddles, and an icon beloved by all (Donald Duck).

Embrace the the apex of the trajectory enabled by the Pick

Edited by CalBear95
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 8:51 AM, CalBear95 said:

I think you meant embrace highest point we have reached, so far, on the trajectory enabled by the Pick. The apex has yet to be seen and hopefully is a nice broad plateau!

Oregon is the pony hidden within a pile of horse manure that is the Pac-12 conference.

• Haha 2

On 12/7/2021 at 9:08 AM, Haywarduck said:

I think you meant embrace highest point we have reached, so far, on the trajectory enabled by the Pick. The apex has yet to be seen and hopefully is a nice broad plateau!

Thanks for the clarifying comment.  Yes, I meant that to read as as a future state, not a present condition that needs to be maintained or improved at the margins.

Edited by CalBear95
  • Thumbs Up 1

Identity. Chip's Ducks definitely had an identity. It wasn't humble by any means. The Ducks had swagger and their offense made the other team look silly. A USC buddy of mine started every phone call we had with, "I hate you."

Good times.

He hasn't hated me for a while now and I don't like it. There was nothing about Cristobal's Ducks for fans of other teams to gnash their teeth about, well except those up North. The bigger, more physical Oregon didn't dominate their way to the top.

Hopefully the new Coach will instill an identity to the Ducks that will have my USC  buddy hating me again.

On 12/7/2021 at 9:51 AM, CalBear95 said:

When I think about the Crossroads (admittedly borrowing from earlier post because this is spot on) Oregon football finds itself, I think 'where does Oregon take this journey that started with...

That is the spirit of Oregon at its core.  Special, scrappy, humble, but today, elite.

My wife has, I think, the level of cynicism born of years of heartbreak.  She loves the Ducks but holds back (that's what the Ducks do.  Blow it.) because the heartbreak is too much.  When I remember her reaction to the infamous Auburn 'roll over the tackler and keep running' it truly broke my heart.  She truly hurt and that pained me almost to the point of tears.

And I sense many Duck fans are at this point now.  And I think there are those who want to, understandably, embrace the familiar be it the recent past or more distant.  And then there are those who just want the 'natty' outcome (Urban Meyer).

Urban's personality, as well as those of his ilk, are, IMHO, in direct contrast with the spirit of The Pick.  The reversion to the known is more pure in its intent but I too view it as contrary to that same moment.

The Pick is when it all changed.  The trajectory from always getting beat down and condescended to by the hated Husky fans.  

I say go big but go humble.  Be the P12 bully that you kinda actually like because of the good natured and passionate fans, a really adorable mascot, Puddles, and an icon beloved by all (Donald Duck).

"When I remember her reaction to the infamous Auburn 'roll over the tackler and keep running'"

Oh man... that one physically hurt for days. I was in the lower corner of the end zone where we scored the go ahead TD. And then that bizarre kickoff return happened.

That felt like having my guts ripped out a bit.