AllOregon

Reality is Few Coaches Stay Long Term; We Need to Move on With Winning

Yes, I am frustrated with how the MC thing went down and the horrible timing, but not with his reason for going home.

After a cooling off period and reading from some smart people here, this Oregon fan from the early 70s has concluded that we cannot expect long term coach loyalty in this sport.  It happens, but is more rare than ever.

I think RM and PK came to that realization in hiring Willie versus from hiring within the Oregon or local pipeline. Go for better chance of winning in both coaching and recruiting.  Yes they whiffed on the person, but not the concept.  They probably thought they had both (winning and loyalty) in agreeing to the players’ wishes to hire MC.

This is why I think it is a mistake to quench our loyalty pains by hiring Wilcox or Chip.  Any gains from stability of thinking true stud recruits will come and stay in a local system get outweighed by coaching and recruiting “prowess” that really gets stud recruits/staffs and coaches them up to win consistently.

For the fan that wants loyal, we are signing up to a long run reality average of 8 win seasons and an occasional flash in pan/luck run.  That made me happy in the 90s.  Winning a Holiday or Sun or Vegas Bowl was cool.  Not now. We expect way more.  Local connections are too small in number to have legit National contender coaches amongst the population. The great facilities and resources would help them, but not push us over the top.  We can be the school that wins the big one with the right approach.

I am all in for finding a winner that might be gone in 4 years but build a succession plan, as it gives best chance to keep our current expectation of WINNING Rose Bowls and possible shots at playoffs.  Or better, we need a Natty.  Not another Mid tier Bowl trophy.

Lane County or bust.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well said.

Let's be honest. If you want kids from all over the U.S. Then a 'home town' boy doesn't matter. Home town doesn't matter. If you want a 'Natty', then you will go anywhere to get it. The common denominator is NOT loyalty. Duck fans are NOT loyal to coaches. Duck fans want a 'Natty'. We need to stop diluting ourselves in thinking that HC's need to be loyal. We aren't requesting a loyal Coach. We ARE requesting a NC. If you want a Loyal coach then winning a NC comes second to loyalty. 

Winning comes first. Otherwise, why play the game? Don't get me wrong, there is a right way to be a winning program, right Jimmy Lake? But, winning comes first.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/8/2021 at 1:29 PM, AllOregon said:

I am all in for finding a winner that might be gone in 4 years but build a succession plan

AllOregon....you are like a large number of new people who have joined us in the last couple of days, posted, and I have not yet welcomed you.  I like your posts, and hope that you will continue to share your thoughts often with us and WELCOME!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I see the current coaching landscape for Oregon as a bit of a Catch 22 situation with regard to the right coaching choice. The reality is that the Ducks are built to win NOW. With the right coach in the right system, we are playoff contenders next season. That being said, the most likely hire of a coach capable of taking the team to those heights will not be from within the organization OR a Duck Lifer.

If Mullens and PK pony up the money we will get Lane Kiffin and he will hire a great staff (The Right Coach for Right Now). He has the chops to coach our Redshirt Freshman QB into a Heisman caliber player and our receivers will become monsters. The downside is the same that you got with Mario Cristobal, Slick, and even Chip Kelly. Eventually he will see greener pastures elsewhere (3 to 4 years) as they did. Eventually another team will drive their Brinks Truck into town and leave with him.

The other side of this coin brings you to a guy like Justin Wilcox (The Right Coach for The Future of The Program). Let's look at a hypothetical situation where Oregon is the team in rebuild mode instead of the Beavs. Oregon isn't a team built to win NOW. What they arguably need is a coach who views Duck Football as the dream job that you couldn't pry him away from. A coach that is ideally an alum and has proven experience on the west coast. This is a guy who PK and the boosters can throw their money and resources behind to hire a staff that can focus on recruiting players that fit the program yet also have the chops to coach these guys up into quality talent. 

As they get better and consistently win more and more, the recruits start becoming bigger and more talented. Now these coaches can start selling the program rather than simply finding the right match. Kids will want to fit into the system. (If this is starting to sound familiar it's because another Oregon school is currently operating this way). The downside here is that a fanbase, team, and organization need to have the patience required to allow this to come to fruition. I am not optimistic we as fans have the patience for the Justin Wilcox type hire. 

He is the coach Oregon Football needs, not the coach Oregon Football wants.

On 12/8/2021 at 1:29 PM, AllOregon said:

Lane County or bust.

Agree on the concept, but let’s not whiff on the person again.

Dabo.

On 12/8/2021 at 3:12 PM, Babyjesus615 said:

This is a guy who PK and the boosters can throw their money and resources behind to hire a staff that can focus on recruiting players that fit the program yet also have the chops to coach these guys up into quality talent. 

I am good with this being an ideal and do not mean to imply otherwise.  My point of concern is: the options of that local guy (e.g. Wilcox or Chip) do not have the current coaching/recruiting chops.  Have not shown it for awhile.  I do not see a person that fits this successful description. Open to being wrong 😄.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/8/2021 at 3:27 PM, Duck1984 said:

Agree on the concept, but let’s not whiff on the person again.

Dabo.

Fair point!

On 12/8/2021 at 3:33 PM, AllOregon said:

My point of concern is: the options of that local guy (e.g. Wilcox or Chip) do not have the current coaching/recruiting chops

That's where having our own private El Dorado for them to throw money at hiring the best supporting cast around the HC comes in handy. He can learn from people more experienced and hopefully grow and adapt into his own legacy.

On 12/8/2021 at 3:42 PM, Babyjesus615 said:

That's where having our own private El Dorado for them to throw money at hiring the best supporting cast around the HC comes in handy. He can learn from people more experienced and hopefully grow and adapt into his own legacy.

I respect your view, and to me it feels like Helfrich part 2.  One could argue that situation got us a Playoff (Rose Bowl) win and a beat down in the Natty BUT was with Chip’s guys and a Heisman running the show.  Then local coach cratered everything as he was clearly not HC material.    It has to be local AND with HC coaching chops.  I don’t see that in Wilcox, as much as I like the guy and family.

Saban and Dabo are an exception of previous Natty winners who were/still are at their school for a significant amount of time afterwards. Jimbo, Meyer, Chizik, Orgeron. Depends if you want to count Les Miles, Mack Brown.  Of course, there are many reasons.

The point is movement is 99% certain everywhere,  we should accept that as reality even though it hurts.

Edited by AllOregon
  • Thumbs Up 1