1Funduck

From 20...

Down to 12 commits. WOW! Thats a full fledged free fall. Just stunning!! Expected to some degree, but this is stunning.

That's what happens when the recruiting class is a top ten class and the coach leaves ... Every single recruit is highly sought after so they can choose and they don't want to be left out if having any choices if they don't like the new HC. 

If we had a low ranked class probably wouldn't see much change.

Now... The more important number is the transfer portal number. Right now there is only 1 by my count since MC has left. Keeping that number down is critical to the next year and a new coach's success. 

As long as oregon ends the recruiting class ideally in the top 20 and maybe pick up some good transfers we're in good shape. Not ideal... But good.

Gotta bring in a big time recruiter and some good assistant coaches and coordinators. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/10/2021 at 8:40 PM, David Marsh said:

That's what happens when the recruiting class is a top ten class and the coach leaves ... Every single recruit is highly sought after so they can choose and they don't want to be left out if having any choices if they don't like the new HC. 

If we had a low ranked class probably wouldn't see much change.

Now... The more important number is the transfer portal number. Right now there is only 1 by my count since MC has left. Keeping that number down is critical to the next year and a new coach's success. 

As long as oregon ends the recruiting class ideally in the top 20 and maybe pick up some good transfers we're in good shape. Not ideal... But good.

Gotta bring in a big time recruiter and some good assistant coaches and coordinators. 

I would add recruiter and developer of talent, who can coach. I am tired of the whole hotshot recruiter concept.

In the end it is the product on the field which matters. I don't want to hear about our recruiting numbers more than our scoreboard numbers ever again!

• Thumbs Up 3

Every program with a coaching change will have de commitments  so there will be lots to try to pick up. Several of Oregon's are defensive and may just flip back if they are still desired and the Georgia DC is hired.

• Thumbs Up 1

and a good HC will likely bring some of his top-ranked recruits with him. 

FWIW - not much - Manny Diaz is the new DC at Penn State.

On 12/11/2021 at 8:54 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Manny Diaz is the new DC at Penn State.

Good for him... I feel bad for the guy the way Miami treated him. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On recruiting Lanning brought Kelee Ringo 5* DB from Arizona to Georgia. 

This is what Noah Sewell said at the time of his committing to Oregon.

“There is a real brotherhood over there,” Sewell said. “That starts with coach [Glenn] Schumann. I’m just real thankful for them for giving me the opportunity to go out there and thankful for coach [Dan] Lanning and thankful for coach Kirby Smart. He’s a very good man and I am just grateful for all of them.”

This recruiting race had a twist or two.

“It was really close,” he said. “My mind was going back and forth and then it just came down to how close I was with $%@&%*!!!! (Sorry for the editing) and the whole coaching staff and the players.”

Sewell said Georgia even took the lead after his official visit for the Notre Dame game on Sept. 21.

“That place was just very special to me,” Sewell said about that visit. “It will always have a spot in my heart. It just came down to just me being at Oregon.”

On 12/11/2021 at 9:08 AM, David Marsh said:

What is telling to me is the exact same people who hired Cristobal, fired Manny. If you want to know how you will be treated, once the honeymoon is over, check out how the last guy was treated. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 9:11 AM, Haywarduck said:

check out how the last guy was treated. 

Also throw in that Diaz didn't have the huge expectation for success that Mario has created. The U is expecting Mario to get them back to the Jimmy Johnson . Dennis Erickson time. If he pulls a Frost at Nebraska instead, ir won't be pretty. 

On 12/11/2021 at 12:08 PM, David Marsh said:

Another tidbit - Clemson OC Tony Eliot has been named the HC at UVA. Dabo has lost his AD, OC and DC. This after years of continuity at Clemson.