Haywarduck

What Would Lanning Bring, What Would We Expect?

Lanning was in on the recruitment of Noah Sewell, who almost went to Georgia. He also recruited Kelee Ringo, 5* DB out of Arizona to Georgia. His recruiting would be a great addition, or continuation.  I would hope our recruiting would stay at or above what we have seen.

The development of talent would elevate. The Georgia starting defense is all juniors and seniors with freshman and sophomores backing them up. This is how you develop talent. He has seen it and put the development of talent to good use, while being part of that process.

He has also seen programs dominate. He was part of Alabama and Georgia. I expect he would know how to coach and delegate. We need a coach who can know what he does best and gets out of the way. I would expect him to get somebody to run the offense and let him get to work with all the talent, and let it shine!

I would expect him to make some mistakes. He got outfoxed by Saban, but it will be interesting to see how his defense reacts next time. While I would expect mistakes from Lanning, I want to see him innovate out of those mistakes and his team to rise up whenever challenged. 

What would you see with Dan Lanning or hope for any other coach we may hire? I would agree more experience, but I am ok with this guy learning on the job, as long as he learns!

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't most teams get outfoxed by Saban? 😀

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Expectations: Saved recruiting class, Some recruits follow him here, continued recruiting success, top O coordinator brought in, Pac North domination. Pac domination. playoff contender.

• Thumbs Up 3

He is no doubt a very good DC but......Can he be a CEO? can he get in the face of both  DCs and OCs? Can he recruit high octane offensive players? Can he make in game adjustments to the Offense? 

• Thumbs Up 1

My first thought is that being the Dc at Georgia now is a very nice gig, so I believe that he is highly motivated to Just Do It at Oregon, and that alone is a positive for me. Haywarduck mentioned the recruiting he's been involved with, and his success at Georgia gives the Ducks inroads to defensive talent from SEC country that Oregon never had before. 

Of course he'll make mistakes, even Saban has erred. But from where I see him starting from, mistakes will be learned from, and just add to more positive production. 

As long as he learns from his mistakes, unlike his predecessor he has the upside the Ducks need to get a CFP win.

On 12/11/2021 at 9:53 AM, 30Duck said:

My first thought is that being the Dc at Georgia now is a very nice gig, so I believe that he is highly motivated to Just Do It at Oregon, and that alone is a positive for me. Haywarduck mentioned the recruiting he's been involved with, and his success at Georgia gives the Ducks inroads to defensive talent from SEC country that Oregon never had before. 

Of course he'll make mistakes, even Saban has erred. But from where I see him starting from, mistakes will be learned from, and just add to more positive production. 

Until we know who he would bring in can we really speculate as to this?

The dude has basically gone from ball boy to top coordinator in the country in just 7-8 years. The guy is only 35. That's a trajectory that tells me he hasn't come close to hitting his peak yet. On the other hand, I think Mario hit his peak in 2019 thanks to Herbert and Troy Dye being handed to him as Seniors. He's been coasting ever since.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/11/2021 at 9:59 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

As we would with any coach, yes.

On 12/11/2021 at 9:59 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Isn’t speculation just about all we’ve been doing since Mario left?

• Haha 2

On 12/11/2021 at 10:02 AM, PittDuck said:

I guess so

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 10:02 AM, PittDuck said:

Speculate, lament repeat, right?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/11/2021 at 10:11 AM, Haywarduck said:

It is WHAT WE DO!
giphy.gif

• Haha 3

Mr. FishDuck

Since we are speculating -----Lannings players make him look good. The Ga defense are very athletic monsters, and they are 2 and 3 deep. That will take several years to accomplish at ANY PAC school incl USC much less Oregon. We have some big guys but not nearly as fast and strong as Ga does on the whole.--So the question is will he be able to bring the same results to our Ducks in a short time period?

On 12/11/2021 at 10:11 AM, Haywarduck said:

I just saw that Jim Tressel was in Eugene this morning 

On 12/11/2021 at 10:19 AM, JDuck said:

I just saw that Jim Tressel was in Eugene this morning 

I didn't say create rumors, come on now!

5xilby.jpg

• Haha 2

I expect him to hit the ground running and that's all I expect!

5xjioc.jpg