30Duck

What Kind of Recruiter is Lanning?

• Thumbs Up 4

What would it take for Lanning to come to Oregon besides being the DC on a #3 team that's in the final four? Money is about it. 

I've said this in other posts: this is a 'must have' for Oregon's (or any program seeking to be elite) hiring criteria.  As I see it, there are six key elements that define high level coaching (possibly seven if you include knowing how to play the politics of the booster community):

(1) Leading and managing a complex organization.  You would be surprised how overlooked this is and yet, beyond critical.

(2) Coaching acumen (aka Xs and Os, game management, etc.)

(3) Hiring a high skill coordinators and being able to both support them and let them do the job you hired them to do (also somethign a lot of people struggle with)

(4) Talent evalaution and assessing as a fit for your schemes

(5) Recruiting prowess

(6) Talent development

A person need not be 'A' grades in all of these areas, and in fact, the hallmark of a good manager is to find those people who can complement areas of weakness.  But a candidate cannot be overly lacking in any particular area either.  A Chip Kelly who famously disdains recruiting is an example of being too deficient in a critical area (and while he can hire ace recruiters, the investment a coach makes in recruiting players versus just outsourcing the 'odious task' to an underling goes a long way to pulling in high talent recruits.  Think about it,  would you want to work for soemone who really didn't seem all that interested in you as a person or showed an passion for your making the company/organization better).  Dan Mullen is the case study on this point.  Compare and contrast that w/Kirby Smart's answer to that same question posed to him in direct response to Dan Mullen's 'really not worried or focused on that' answer.  

Not to overrotate on recruiting but I think I land my point.  Good head coaches are hard to find because being no worse that fair at any of these traits, and excellent in many, is really, really hard.

Edited by CalBear95

On 12/11/2021 at 9:47 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

What would it take for Lanning to come to Oregon besides being the DC on a #3 team that's in the final four? Money is about it. 

Lots of guys are looking to be a head coach, not a coordinator.  The chance to run your own program - and not have to go to Akron to do it - is a HUGE appeal.  Far more than being an assistant, even on a top team.  

Of course, therein also lies the challenge:  lots of coordinators become head coaches and prove that, as head coaches, they are great coordinators.

• Thumbs Up 1

He almost got Noah to Georgia, that good. He also took a 5* out of Arizona and got him to go to Georgia.

Not we just need some Georgia big ugly to come to Oregon, Go Get Them Coach!

On 12/11/2021 at 5:42 PM, Haywarduck said:

He almost got Noah to Georgia, that good. He also took a 5* out of Arizona and got him to go to Georgia.

Not we just need some Georgia big ugly to come to Oregon, Go Get Them Coach!

How about JT Daniels?