Charles Fischer

Urban Meyer Fallout Affects Oregon?

I don't know how I feel about this, as he recruited key defensive players from Oregon to Cal when we really needed them for the 'Natty.  Yet is he a good coach?

Mr. FishDuck

I just wonder at what point do we need  a excellent coach over a excellent recruiter.    Just posing the question, Im not sure of the correct answer.

I assume he is a decent coach.  I haven't followed his career since he left the Pac but when he was at Cal and UW it seemed he was always "in the room" when something sketchy happened.

I would prefer an excellent coach to recruiter - Chip was an ok recruiter, Mario "great" recruiter. Chip made it to a couple of "natty's" and developed quarterbacks. Mario didn't develop quarterbacks - did not seem to obtain great offensive/defensive coordinator's (the 10-2 season could have easily been 8-4).

I say Oregon pull a Miami "Manny Diaz" move and send Lanning back to Georgia. Why? Lanning hired K. Dillingham. Instead of using UofO/Nike resources, he hires a friend from FSU (Memphis) --- this move has nothing but risk. Risk is and of itself is not bad, but the UofO took a risk on Lanning. It's like multiplying percentages - chance of success get's smaller.

Seriously, Urban Meyer is a jerk. However, Oregon (as J. Canzano put it) is going to be a "stepping stone" program for most coaches (heck even Wilcox did not want to come back).

Meyer will get solid coaches and recruit like "heck".

Just my two "pennies" on the matter.

On 12/16/2021 at 8:10 AM, ZBeau said:

I say Oregon pull a Miami "Manny Diaz" move and send Lanning back to Georgia. Why? Lanning hired K. Dillingham. Instead of using UofO/Nike resources, he hires a friend from FSU (Memphis) --- this move has nothing but risk. Risk is and of itself is not bad, but the UofO took a risk on Lanning. It's like multiplying percentages - chance of success get's smaller.

I'm going to disagree with your risk/reward analysis and say the much safer play for Oregon is to take what I see as a win in getting Lanning from Georgia, and as far as his friend, take a look here at what we can expect from Dillingham next season. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Proof will be in the pudding...hope I am wrong. 

Lanning get's a freebee next year d/t Cristobal not developing our quarterbacks.

Well, we don't need a basket case like UM. Geez he's worse than my little terrior puppy....

10 pounds of crazy in a 5 gallon bucket......

We need a coach who can hire a quality staff, recruit at highest level including staff and effectively coach the players. Then win it all.

Hope Coach Lanning is that HC.....

On 12/16/2021 at 8:10 AM, ZBeau said:

I would prefer an excellent coach to recruiter - Chip was an ok recruiter, Mario "great" recruiter. Chip made it to a couple of "natty's" and developed quarterbacks. Mario didn't develop quarterbacks - did not seem to obtain great offensive/defensive coordinator's (the 10-2 season could have easily been 8-4).

Seriously, Urban Meyer is a jerk. However, Oregon (as J. Canzano put it) is going to be a "stepping stone" program for most coaches (heck even Wilcox did not want to come back).

Meyer will get solid coaches and recruit like "heck".

Just my two "pennies" on the matter.

Meyer is a jerk, but so are a lot of college coaches. 

More importantly he is toxic. He would eventually embarrass himself and the University and shed a negative light on the entire football program. 

Stay away.

• Thumbs Up 2