30Duck

Herbert is AFC Pro Bowl Quarterback

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 3

GO HERBIE!!!!!! WOOT!!!!

HATS OFF TO HERBERT. And Tom Brady making the Pro Bowl at his age? Amazing.

• Thumbs Up 1

So very cool...thanks to 30Duck for starting this thread and the REAMS of articles he brings to this forum.  And a moderator to boot! 

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

I wonder how many college football coaches wish they had a QB on their team like JH?

What a gem of a hidden talent he was. Small town, Pacific Northwest diamond in the rough 7 years ago.

How did all the great recruiters miss him? If I recall he was injured his junior year and fell off the map. But still...........

Hope Coach Lanning and staff find a few more like Justin.

• Thumbs Up 2

"How did all the great recruiters miss him?"

Because the Oregon coaches kept Justin hidden, and reined in, all in plain sight.

At least until the last 2 games of his career at Oregon when they recognized we wouldn't have a chance again Utah & Wisconsin unless they removed the reins from our stallion. 

By then, the scouts understandably didn't know what in the world to think. 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

Regarding how did they miss him as a high school recruit, yes, he broke his leg early in his junior season at Sheldon and was gone for the season. However, he came back his senior season and put up exceptional numbers.

But perhaps the even bigger impact is that he attended very few camps, etc, which is where most of the scouting is done these days. So, by midway through his senior year, he was on almost nobody's radar.

I remember when Justin's name came up regarding Oregon. I then talked to a close friend who was a coach at Sheldon who gave me his take. He could not say enough positive things about him. He said that his teammates absolutely loved playing with/for him, that he was wicked intelligent, that he had all the physical gifts and tools... oh yeah -- and that this big 6'5" kid was actually fast too.

From what I understand, at first Oregon was trying to get him as a walk-on... and nearly lost him to Montana. Oregon pretty much just lucked out, IMHO. 

Another 'local' kid who put up crazy numbers was the highly talented Eric Dungey from Lakeridge -- who went on to have a very impressive career at Syracuse. Eric was/is a great athlete, great kid, and held a 4.0+ GPA. From what I understand, Oregon didn't even give him a sniff.

And at this Christmas time of the year, something about a prophet not being welcome in his home town comes to mind as well. 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/23/2021 at 11:02 AM, Jon Joseph said:

HATS OFF TO HERBERT. And Tom Brady making the Pro Bowl at his age? Amazing.

And not only making the Pro Bowl, but selected as the AFC starting QB... over Super Bowl Champ Patrick Mahomes!

So glad for this kid!

• Thumbs Up 3