Jester

Thanks for Keeping Oregon Football History Alive

I would like to extend a sincere “Thank you” to those who take the time to write about Oregon coaches and players from years past. 

I apologize for not attempting to generate a thought-provoking thread, or post info. regarding a potential new member of the incoming class.  I know we’re all looking to the future, but I felt I needed to get this out there based on a few members referencing a name from the past - Len Casanova.

Len was before my time, so naturally I had to look him up.  I figured Wikipedia was as good a place to start as any, so I made it my first stop.  Wow!  Wiki led me down a seemingly endless rabbit hole keeping my attention well into the wee hours of the morning.  After all the clicking and reading, I’m sure my opinion is in line with what many of you already know.  Len Casanova lived a very full, remarkable life.   

Cas (I did the research. I can call him that now.) actually posted in the Senior Horoscope section of his high school yearbook that his future career was to be that of a “football coach”. Along the way he recorded a 97 yard punt against St. Mary’s, was a two sport athlete at Santa Clara while earning a bachelor’s in philosophy and a minor in history, obtained his teaching credential in ’32, and so on and so forth.  My intent isn’t to list ALL of Cas’ credentials as those few items I mentioned are just the very tip of a very sizable iceberg.  His life accomplishments in and out of the sports world rival that of Winston Groom’s fictitious character, Forrest Gump. 

To those that don’t know much, or anything at all for that matter, about Len Casanova, take some time to review the depth of this man’s accomplishments.  It’s intriguing how football legends such as John McKay, John Robinson, and Bear Bryant have ties to Cas.  It’s amazing that titles such as Commander, Head Coach, Athletic Director, American Football Coaches Association President, and National Football Foundation's College Football Hall of Fame member all travel with one man – Len Casanova. 

Dallas Cowboys great, Mel Renfro, once stated, "If I didn't have a Dad, Cas could be my Dad. He was always fair with all of his players and cared for them, even the lowest guy on the roster. Cas wanted us to be good people, on and off the fleld."  That comment epitomizes the kind of man we want to lead Oregon moving forward.  We’re hopeful Dan Lanning is cut from a similar cloth. 

So, to those of you who are leery of posting material that focuses on days gone by…Stop.  Please, continue to regale us with memories of the past.  Many of us may be younger in years but it’s clear this board is full of old football souls that enjoy stories of those who helped shape of the University of Oregon. 

“To know your future you must know your past”
 George Santayana

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 2

Great post, I learned a couple things.  I started truly following the Duck's with Bob Berry and the Firehouse Four.  Some amazing talent passed through the sleepy football backwater that was Eugene, we have been blessed. 

Cas and Jerry Frei, my all time favorites.

I met Cas, at a Duck Booster meeting.  He was quite old at the time.  Still he turned out to raise funds for the Ducks.  I conversed with him for a short time.  He seemed to be a fine man!

On 1/7/2022 at 3:06 PM, Jester said:

It’s intriguing how football legends such as John McKay, John Robinson, and Bear Bryant have ties to Cas.

Not as familiar with Bryant's connection, but McKay & Robinson would go on to great success at USC, and coach in the NFL, after playing and coaching at Oregon. Frei was the head coach of the Ducks when I started watching.

Bowerman and The Men of Oregon is a great read if you haven't already picked it up!

Jester...that was a GREAT POST, and I do appreciate it.

For those who want to read an article about Cas from our Men of Oregon section of the Oregon Football Repository--this one is nice in summarizing the accomplishments of Len Casanova. 

Oregon coach Len Casanova with quarterback Bob Berry seated during 1964  Civil War football game in Corvallis. From… | Football, University of oregon,  Football games

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/7/2022 at 3:29 PM, McDuck said:

Cas and Jerry Frei, my all time favorites.

Good mention of Frei.  I remember in the 1970 season he won national coach of the week award twice in three weeks, and hi comment the second time was something to the effect that we must not be expected to win games.