Haywarduck

Does Soccer Deal With Ties Better Than Football?

In soccer there is overtime, but no sudden death until 2, 15 minute periods of play, in the playoffs. If at that time there is still a tie then they go to the shoot out most Americans detest. 

In the NFL the playoffs are won or lost most likely with the flip of a coin in overtime. This is a travesty for the NFL's product. The Chiefs and Bills played a great game, that was basically decided by a flip of a coin. The rules need to be changed, especially after seeing one of the greatest playoff games end that way.

In regular season if they want to decide it with a flip of a coin then maybe it is ok. In the playoffs let the game roll for another 5 minutes, and keep it rolling, no sudden death, ever!

Much better writing,

"Ending brilliance like Chiefs-Bills with an NFL overtime is like ending a Mozart symphony with a loud fart."

On 1/24/2022 at 6:25 AM, Haywarduck said:

with a loud fart."

They forgot the adjectives "nuclear smelling"

ANSWER: YES! How can you end a terrific game like that on a coin toss? I covered but for everything the NFL does so well the OT rules are terrible.

Regular season I'd be okay with games just ending in a tie, there was a tie this season. In the Playoffs, like basketball, I'd just have another quarter. If somehow a winner isn't decided, do it again. 

• Thumbs Up 1

For Buffalo to NOT get a chance to win or tie...is insane.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

It isn't perfect, but I'm OK with how OT works in the NFL.  Buffalo had 9 possessions during regulation and they scored on 5 of them.  KC had the ball 10 times in regulation and scored on 7 of them.  They played 60 minutes before OT.

If Buffalo forces KC to run the kickoff back just before OT, they take at least 4 seconds off the board and that removes 1 play.  In OT all Buffalo needs to do is not allow a TD and they get the ball back.

Agree with 30DUCK. You also could make the overtime  quarters between 5 and 10 minutes if your worried about injuries.