Jon Joseph

Permanent Opponents if PAC-12 Dumps Divisions.

Here are The Athletic's, Andy Staple's, thoughts regarding permanent opponents.  IMO, these appear to be very reasonable. Of course if the Pac-12 goes to an 8 game regular season schedule as I believe it should, 1 permanent opponent may make more sense for a 12 team conference? The permanent opponent would be today's 'rivalry opponent.'

ARIZONA - ASU, CU

ASU - AZ, Utah

CU - Utah, AZ

OREGON - OR ST, UW 

OR ST - OREGON, WA ST

Stanford - CAL, USC

UCLA - USC, CAL

Utah - ASU, CU

USC - UCLA, Stanford

UW - OREGON, WA ST

WA ST - OR ST, UW

The B1G looks like it will drop divisions and I think most or all P5 conferences will follow suit? I believe the 12th game of the season and the Pac 12's 8th regular season game, should be played as the last game of the regular season - Pac-12  -1 vs 2 in Las Vegas; 11 at 3, 4 at 10, etc. All teams off traditional playoff weekend with the exception on USC and Stanford that could respectively play the home game with Notre Dame on what is now the date of the conference champ game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Jon, that all makes sense, dumping the Divisions, 8 game schedule makes sense. The SEC gained control because they saw that it was there for the taking, and they took it. The Alliance has to make moves now.

I like the idea of both a permanent local rival (OSU) and a regional rival (fuskies). We’d also need the same agreement to keep an LA game on schedule every year for recruiting purposes.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/28/2022 at 3:23 PM, 30Duck said:

Thanks Jon, that all makes sense, dumping the Divisions, 8 game schedule makes sense. The SEC gained control because they saw that it was there for the taking, and they took it. The Alliance has to make moves now.

The only concrete move the Alliance has made to date is the ACC vetoing playoff expansion and the needed money that will follow expansion. The ACC came up with all kind of reasons why it is blocking expansion. The usual malarkey. The real reason, the ACC is saddled with a bad media deal through 2036. The only way the media deal can be renegotiated with ESPN is if Notre Dame joins the ACC as a football member. ND is an ACC member in all other sports except for ice hockey where it plays in the B1G. The proposed 12 team playoff gave ND a clear path to the 12 team field and no need to join the ACC.

This is more of the kind of parochial stuff that will lead to a Super League.

On 1/28/2022 at 3:56 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I like the idea of both a permanent local rival (OSU) and a regional rival (fuskies). We’d also need the same agreement to keep an LA game on schedule every year for recruiting purposes.

Good points but there is going to have to be some give and take. First, the Cali schools are going to have to give up their preferred scheduling deal where the 4 CA schools play every season. With 7 games plus the Civil War game a CA school will be on the schedule every season but not necessarily UCLA or USC. I'll take this instead of half the conference having to play 5 conference road games every other year. Going to 8 means a balanced conference schedule, home and away and 6 fewer Ls for the conference compared to the ACC and the SEC.

No school that played 9 regularly scheduled conference games has won the CFB Playoff.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 1:08 PM, Jon Joseph said:

This is more of the kind of parochial stuff that will lead to a Super League.

And More of why I'm really sick of Notre Dame. They're barely more relevant than is Washington in the last 10-15 years, but somehow are integral to college football moving forward.

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2022 at 1:16 PM, 30Duck said:

And More of why I'm really sick of Notre Dame. They're barely more relevant than is Washington in the last 10-15 years, but somehow are integral to college football moving forward.

They have a huge following. Lots of tv viewers watch their games and go to their games. I have never liked them much, but they have their own mystique, or aura about them. Most people associate ND with football, Knute Rockne, the gripper, etc., that will always be the case.

I want to play them so we can beat them!

We would, along with WSU, have the easiest schedule out of all those matchups. The beavs are a once in a blue moon program, and the dawgs are merely intimidating preseason with the pundits never really understanding the last couple decades of history. I do agree we would need to be guaranteed at least one to two cali schools each season to fill out the 8 game schedule.

I think going forward we should try and schedule Hawaii every other year too. The recruiting connections from the islands needs to continue. Playing a game there keeps us in the other islands consciousness too. American Samoa needs to know we are a poly friendly program! We should then try and travel around the south and midwest on occasion to fill out our schedule, or have those programs come to Autzen. Scheduling should really look at recruiting as the number 1 priority.

Not a fan of Notre Dame either but for a school with less than 9,000 students they have an amazingly strong fanbase. With the Catholic connection along with the Irish connection the school has a massive wannabe fanbase. They actually have a better tv deal than Larry could have ever dreamed of creating. 

On 1/28/2022 at 2:05 PM, Haywarduck said:

We would, along with WSU, have the easiest schedule out of all those matchups. The beavs are a once in a blue moon program, and the dawgs are merely intimidating preseason with the pundits never really understanding the last couple decades of history. I do agree we would need to be guaranteed at least one to two cali schools each season to fill out the 8 game schedule.

I think going forward we should try and schedule Hawaii every other year too. The recruiting connections from the islands needs to continue. Playing a game there keeps us in the other islands consciousness too. American Samoa needs to know we are a poly friendly program! We should then try and travel around the south and midwest on occasion to fill out our schedule, or have those programs come to Autzen. Scheduling should really look at recruiting as the number 1 priority.

Not a fan of Notre Dame either but for a school with less than 9,000 students they have an amazingly strong fanbase. With the Catholic connection along with the Irish connection the school has a massive wannabe fanbase. They actually have a better tv deal than Larry could have ever dreamed of creating. 

Lets be honest with Larry, he was a perfect fit for the PAC 12 because for some odd reason they never checked on Larry making the conference legit. He was just making a huge payday for himself. He was a fraud from Harvard as who would have ever thunk it.

On 1/28/2022 at 5:05 PM, Haywarduck said:

And playing Hawaii allows the team to play a regular season 13th game if so desired. I still do not understand why the conference commish gave ND a playoff vote? What was ND going to do, skip the playoff. And  NBC covers ND and that's it. As to the south, TX Tech and Baylor are on future schedules. Texas recruiting-wise may the most important southern state in which to play.