Duck 1972

Call for Walk-Ons to the Ducks, Feb.10

Just read an article stating OBD are going to have walkon tryouts on February 10th.

This is the first time I have ever seen or heard of anything like that. If it's the 1st time, what an innovation 💡.

Another great look for DL and staff.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

r/ducks - Football Walk On Tryouts Feb 10th!

It's happened before ... Usuly not this public in the announcement though. Usually I have heard about it while browsing goducks.com 

There have been quite a few walk-ons who have left this last year and I can see the need to add some more. 

• Thanks 1

Two of my high school teammates were walk-ons back in the very late 80's, and I think that Brooks had some regular open calls back in those pre-social media days. So not a completely new idea in any case!

It was also a good measuring stick to see how much better starting Pac-10 athletes were than I, as the best players in my class were barely able to contribute as scout team members 😄 - they were both considerably better than I was.

• Thumbs Up 1

Darn it! I'm out of eligibility!

• Haha 1

I had a nice 40...40 years ago.

• Haha 2

Having played a lot of intramural sports at U of O, there are definitely students attending that could play on scholarship at smaller schools. 

A student athlete at Oregon is chosen from some of the best athletes in the country, and sometimes outside the country. 

I applaud anyone that tries to make the team, and cheer for those few that make it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Do walk-ons get training table?  Medical care?  Basically which of the perks available to scholarship players are allowed for walk-ons?

• Thanks 1

I don't know maybe someone else does.

On 1/30/2022 at 3:35 PM, McDuck said:

Do walk-ons get training table?  Medical care?  Basically which of the perks available to scholarship players are allowed for walk-ons?

I would certainly hope so, otherwise you're just getting beat up every day...