Coach Eric Boles

Three New Names Added to Oregon DC Hot Board

Bruce Feldman is reporting three new names that are in consideration for the Ducks' DC position.

-Louisiana DC Patrick Toney

-Wofford HC Josh Conklin

-Oregon LB Coach Ken Wilson

I am still rooting for Zach Arnett, although I am sure MC will bring in someone who is very talented...

Mr. FishDuck

3 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

I am still rooting for Zach Arnett, although I am sure MC will bring in someone who is very talented...

I've heard that he's no longer in the running from a few places. But, he's still on other lists of still being in consideration. I wonder what's going on there because he interviewed with LSU and Texas too.

Some more information about the new candidates is in this article.

Brandon Dorlus sack_Tom Corno FP.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

1 hour ago, Charles Fischer said:

He seems to have been really hot early on but interest from multiple teams seems to have slowed or dried up.

The Louisiana DC is interesting... he would be one of those up-and-coming guys in the mold of an Avalos which could be good... though are they a good enough recruiter? They might be I simply don't know. 

Recruiting to Oregon isn't as easy as Cristobal makes it look so ensuring a strong recruiter is critical to Oregon's continued recruiting strength.

Very underwhelming new names. 

Josh Conklin, Wofford HC: He was not a good DC at Pitt, had a season allowing 38 PPG. At FIU it was 37 PPG. Game over for me, the 2015 Pillows Pellum defense gave up 37 PPG and before Brady Hoke I thought that was rock bottom. 

Patrick Toney: 2020 was his first year as a DC, before that he was Louisiana Lafayette’s (I refuse to acknowledge their rebranding to Louisiana) safeties coach. Has also been a position coach at UTEP, FCS Sam Houston, Multi-directional Louisiana State. His defense was good his one season, and beat Iowa State. But the Ragin’ Cajuns defense was also good before he took over play calling duties. Small sample size, no P-5 experience at all. Frankly, I don’t think this is a DC candidate - maybe a DB position coach if Heyward leaves? 

I’m still holding out hope for one of Schumann, Derrick Ansley, or Tosh Lupoi.  

We got to get someone who can pull players from the East coast. 

Not apples to apples, but remember Dana Altman was an undewhelming choice for the Men's basketball headcoach.  Granted, underwhelming picks tend to do just that.  I'd say the hiring of Dana Altman was an outlier.  Whomever, gets the job, I'll give him a chance.  

1 hour ago, Tandaian said:

but remember Dana Altman was an undewhelming choice

I agree with your sentiment about giving whomever is hired a chance. On Altman,  I would offer  that he was underwhelming in the eyes of fans because he wasn't a big name. But he had a  great record at Creighton, and is now a big name himself.