Steven A

Mario Got His OC

On 2/7/2022 at 1:15 PM, cartm25 said:

Gattis' offense at Mich. averaged 31 points per game (removed points from D/PR/KR) which is exactly where MC likes it; a TRUE match indeed!

I originally wished MC well, but then the Alamo Bowl confirmed what @Charles Fischer had been saying all along: "MC is ruining the offense." Now I hope MC will be relegated to coaching OL in the FCS within 2-3 years. I'm also tired of hearing Colin Cowherd and Joy Taylor gloat about Miami getting MC, but that's a discussion for another day.

I'll say this for MC, he IS the self-contained embodiment of recruiting (both coaches and players) for a program. Turnover inevitably happens, but assistant coach and player recruiting doesn't miss a beat. That is nice to have all wrapped up in a head coach. It's a quality I hope Lanning has. We all acknowledge that Lanning appears to have assembled the "Recruiting Avengers", but if they leave, is there no drop off because Dan Lanning is the embodiment of recruiting for a program?

Time will tell; I'm excited for Lanning & Co. I have a feeling he's already miles ahead of MC on Xs and Os scheme/vision.

The Curd isn't my go to pundit...

We know Mario can recruit so I would expect him to have a top 15 class every year.  That in itself is going to improve Miami as we know from how things turned out at Oregon.   I expect him to be competing for Conference championships in a couple years.  Not saying he is going to win them unless Clemson is having a down period.  But even if he gets to the final four with his coaching he isn't going to be winning any CF championships.   I think after 4-5 years the Miami fans are going to start realizing there is a ceiling with Mario.   Competing for ACC championships yes winning national championships not happening. 

On 2/7/2022 at 4:24 PM, 30Duck said:

Not a matter of anything against Mario, but I don't see Miami dislodging Dabo and Clemson from the top of the ACC, in 4-5 years, they might be competitive. 

Agree. Before Dabo, Miami has to pass Pitt, Wake, NC St, and win its non-conference games including against FCS schools like JAX State. Why will Mario have the teams at Miami ready to play when he didn't have them ready to play at Oregon? Mario has been an HC for a number of years. The light is not all of a sudden going to turn on for Mario. He has always been a great recruiter as an assistant or an HC and is 62-60 as a HC. 

He will occasionally pull off the big upset, like at Ohio State and will lose to teams he has no business losing to, and keep inferior teams in the game with his 'prevent' O. I think Billy Napier at Florida was a far better hire than was Mario at Miami.