Charles Fischer

Canzano Does NOT Like Dana's Bigs...

He makes some good points, although I did not realize it was that bad...

Canzano: Oregon Ducks Men’s Basketball Manages to Look Dangerous and Vulnerable at the Same Time by John Canzano of OregonLive

Jacob Young

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

When he's right, he's right, If Oregon's "small" team is hitting their shots, the Ducks can beat anybody. If the shots stop falling, like what happened against Colorado in the second half at home, they'll lose. As imposing a presence as Kepnang is, he isn't a great defensive presence, he can block shots, but usually on fast breaks, and often with a foul. Dante leads the team in field goal %, but is near the bottom on attempts, because it's still not a good plan to feed him the ball inside so he can work for a basket.

Last night was good and bad for Oregon. The Ducks and Bruins are now in a tie for second place at 8-3, with Oregon holding the tie-breaker for now. Washington, who was destroyed by Oregon, and WSU, who beat Oregon, are in third place, at 7-3. So, now the Ducks are in 2nd place, but the win over UCLA has lost some of its luster.

Oregon is home for games against Cal and Stanford, who beat Oregon, then a make-up game at home against WSU. After that it's on the road, first at ASU, then a game at Arizona, followed by home games against UCLA and USC, then the conference season wraps up on the road at Washington and WSU. 

• Like 1

He has always been a jerk so I pay no attention to anything he says. Wants to create controversy over honest reporting.

I actually relate to John a ton; he calls it the way he sees it, (The Bald-Faced Truth) and thus you have half agree and half disagree.  Of those that disagree--a good percentage really hate you.

That is reality for an Op-Ed (Opinion-Editorial) writer who has strong opinions.  I cannot imagine anyone having as much hate on other sites (97 posts on 247 I would have deleted here in August in response to a Mario article) as I--for simply writing an opinion people disagreed with. 

That is unless it is John Canzano.

He and he write strong controversial Op-Eds and thus have the public reaction.  His is MUCH higher than mine, but my recent "Bring-Back-the-Brand" article generated over 65 hate posts on ScoopDuck recently.  As one fellow told me..."Charles it is about 50/50 on Twitter in agreement or disagreement, (which is GOOD for an Op-Ed writer to get the discussion going) but boy...some of those who disagree really hate you!"

Yep.

One difference between John and I; I think John just likes to stir things up at times.  I, on the other hand, NEVER write anything I don't believe in.   I don't get paid for clicks; I don't get paid at all!  So I write what is in my heart...

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 3

Mr. FishDuck

Just watched a You Tube video on Bill Walton. I wanted to recall what good post play looked like. You may not like his commentating, but the guy put on a clinic of how Big's should play: Intimidating presence inside, timing his shot blocking attempts without fouling or over committing, nice array of moves and shots around the rim, and best of all, a master at distributing the ball to his teammates. Where has that kind of inside presence gone?

On 2/6/2022 at 12:33 PM, John Charles said:

Just watched a You Tube video on Bill Walton. I wanted to recall what good post play looked like. You may not like his commentating, but the guy put on a clinic of how Big's should play: Intimidating presence inside, timing his shot blocking attempts without fouling or over committing, nice array of moves and shots around the rim, and best of all, a master at distributing the ball to his teammates. Where has that kind of inside presence gone?

That type of presence has gone the way of "pay me the money". That type of play requires a team first attitude. 

Like the pro game, it's all about padding your stats.

• Thumbs Up 3

I talked with John one day at a chance meeting in a health club.

When asked if he enjoys being controversial, he claimed to only write what he believes, and he doesn’t mind if his thoughts are unpopular.  He only cares that people read and think more about the subject.

I have noticed that bigs are valued most for their defense under Altman, unless they can shoot better than average from the three point line.

Edited by Duck1984

On 2/6/2022 at 10:58 AM, Charles Fischer said:

some of those who disagree really hate you!"

And the sad and kinda funny thing is that they only read the title and don't bother reading the article. Half the time I find the actually AGREE with you but hate you because they disagreed with you before or everyone else in group think land hates you thus they hate you. 

It's really quite sad but just the way it is.

On 2/6/2022 at 12:42 PM, DanLduck said:

That type of presence has gone the way of "pay me the money". That type of play requires a team first attitude. 

Like the pro game, it's all about padding your stats.

Thats a sad way for BBall to go. I miss the days of good team ball. I cant really make it through an entire NBA game these days.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I commented about the lack of production from the Bigs in the last game thread.

This is where I really miss a Jordan Bell or a Chris Boucher.  Both were versatile, two-way players that dominated the boards, when they got on their pogo sticks.

Bell may not have been known for being a mid-range shooter but when the Ducks needed a bucket with the shot clock expiring, he had it in his arsenal. 

Did anyone catch Bell's tryout for the Lakers?  I was amazed at how he knocked down almost every jump shot including the mid-range and three pt shots. Bell also was an excellent passer and had excellent footwork, with a nice soft touch around the rim.

As for Boucher, he could attack the rim or spread the floor and knock down threes which is why I wish Altman would speed up Bittle's development and and utilize him more.

Both Kepnang and Dante are too limited offensively and aren't shooters.  Dante can be effective posting up, provided that he doesn't travel with the ball first. 

All too often these guys are fumbling passes or rebounds that they should have secured.  Even if they manage to come down with the ball, it frequently gets poked out of their hands by a smaller player.  Dante should be dominating the boards, but either he's not in the right place or is waiting for the ball to come down to him rather than going up to snatch it. 

Recording 2 rebounds the entire game, isn't going to cut it.  That tells me he is not instinctive and is not making the effort.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

On 2/6/2022 at 5:40 PM, DuckIt said:

Recording 2 rebounds the entire game, isn't going to cut it.  That tells me he is not instinctive and is not making the effort.

Painful, but true.

Mr. FishDuck

I never read Canzano . . . just last week he wrote . . . . 

You may hate him, but you read him.  That's what it's all about for a columnist.

I think he's pretty good myself.  We disagree a lot, but generally he gets it.

He drove the get rid of Larry bandwagon, for that I am grateful. That was some excellent writing, reporting, actually superb.