Charles Fischer

Amusement for a Slow News Day...

Don't kill the messenger!  (But they are funny!)

Cool...Thibs in a commercial about Los Angeles....

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

The hand sign Joey is giving Dan is called the 'handgun steeple.' It basically says screw you, and is an aggressive move. It can also be used in an effort to say I don't agree with you.

Dan's hand signal is called the 'accordion player.' You see the a lot when people are speaking and trying to say 'this is deep.' Dan is trying to tell Joey this is good, deep stuff he is saying. Joey isn't buying it at all, if you believe what their hands signals are actually saying.

2durye.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ok, I’ll bite.  Is that legit, or are you ‘funnin-us?

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/15/2022 at 11:04 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Ok, I’ll bite.  Is that legit, or are you ‘funnin-us?

If you had somebody analyze the body language that is exactly what they would say. Body language is an interesting thing to watch and read. Sometimes it is a better read than the words coming out of the mouth. I don't even want to begin to go over Mario's signals.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mario's signal: PUNT!

To me, this is a sign that Dan Lanning isn't just feeding us meaningless fodder when he says he wants to connect with Oregon's past. 

On 2/15/2022 at 11:01 AM, Haywarduck said:

Dan's hand signal is called the 'accordion player.' You see the a lot when people are speaking and trying to say 'this is deep.'

Somehow I got a younger Blake Shelton vibe from that picture

giphy.gif

I see Joey just being the skeptic. Oregonians aren't usually impressed with talk, or hype. That was one of the reasons Joey was so successful. He went into every situation ready to work and show how he could do it. I don't think Joey ever felt over his skis in any situation.

So far I don't see Dan as being all hype. I think he is hyped up for the job, but he seems able and resilient. The body language is pretty funny, if you are into that kind of stuff.

On 2/15/2022 at 6:19 PM, Haywarduck said:

Oregonians aren't usually impressed with talk, or hype

I would disagree with that; over on other sites...nobody has experienced what I have when I began to write about my objections to the Cristobal offense 3.5 years ago.  They were ALL sucked into a love-fest with Mario in the beginning, as most here were.  And to a degree, I was won over on quite a few points.

We all were excited about Willie in the beginning too, and it was not until results became apparent with both men did the majority of people begin to change their minds.  Just this last August--I linked my article about whether Mario had Snookered Mullens, and there were 97, that's right....NINETY SEVEN posts that I would have deleted on the OBD forum as the majority still drank the Kool-Aid, and hated me for bringing up valid points.

So yes, people here will get taken in by talk and I have the scars from 97 nasty posts on one site and 84 on another to prove it.  People were believing what he said versus what was actually on the field for three years.... Now that's a pretty good con-job there.

I like everything I see about Lanning, but will continue to apply "Critical Analysis" as I did with coaches before, and will not let the hype of a coach cloud my analysis.  Not many can say that among Oregon fans.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

Everyone has an opinion and it's great we can express that.  Thank you Charles for providing a forum for us duck fans to express our thoughts on our beloved ducks.  Most of us really don't have any insight into the inner workings of what is going on behind the scenes.  Nevertheless we have opinions.  The one thing I don't want to have happen is what has taken place at Tennesse and Auburn and to some extent USC.  Where alumni think they know better and sabotage the process ( probably not so much USC).  Then you end up with chaos.  USC just made stupid choices over the last decade but Tennessee and Auburn alumni  they practically burnt down the house to get what they wanted    We are ducks and bottom line if we stick together we will prevail.  GO DUCKS!!!!  

• Thumbs Up 2

Not to take anything away from your point, but Joey was born and raised in Oregon, his grandfather and father played qb at Oregon. Len Casanova Christened Joey into the Oregon faithful when he was born. Most Oregonians barely have Oregon plates on their cars when they start thinking their opinions matter more than those who were born and raised here. You then see groupthink based on too many people not understanding what makes Oregon great!

Joey is reflecting many of our opinions about those who have moved here, and are going to make things even better. Many of the new Oregonians have made some improvements, but too many are like Cristobal all talk and know little about what makes Oregon special. I applaud Lanning for talking to somebody who has both feet firmly based in Oregon history.

The first thing people need to do to become great Oregonians is the respect the past and try and improve upon the traditions and qualities we value. Lanning was getting it right by talking to Joey, even though Joey was giving him the skeptic sign. He just needs to prove he understands Oregon while enhancing the greatness which is Oregon! Until then Oregonians will question what is said, and applaud what is done.

• Thumbs Up 3

Wonderful take Haywarduck!

IMHO, the first thing people need to do is respect others feelings and opinions. Then open their eyes and ears and embrace what is truly around you. Learning from the past and of the traditions and the quality of our values is the baseline for all of us to move forward as Oregonians. And Oregon Duck football is part of that tradition. 

Good teams, bad teams and mediocre teams have played on that field for decades. Each team putting its foot print in the deep history. Knowing where you come from helps us to appreciate where we are now.  Coach Lanning and the staff will get their chance to leave a specific foot print. Let's hope when it's said and done the Natty trophy is on display.

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2022 at 11:06 AM, Haywarduck said:

If you had somebody analyze the body language that is exactly what they would say. Body language is an interesting thing to watch and read. Sometimes it is a better read than the words coming out of the mouth. I don't even want to begin to go over Mario's signals.

Since you mentioned it, can you please share body language analysis of Mario’s signals?

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2022 at 7:54 AM, Duck1984 said:

Since you mentioned it, can you please share body language analysis of Mario’s signals?

Mario is an interesting one, he basically just communicates power and intensity. The intensity isn't over the top so he is a very compelling figure. His go to move is the clenched hand, intensity fist. I find it interesting because body language sometimes speaks louder than words, we are hardwired to  see and read body language, although we don't often understand it's impact.

• Thanks 1

Two of the most important words in the English language... 'If', and 'Then'.

IF MC allows his assistants the freedom to perform with a reasonable level of autonomy, THEN it is reasonable to assume his team has a legit chance of success