30Duck

8 Conference Games? Not Happening.

Great!  That whole alliance thing sure worked out good.  Alot of change for the better.  🤨

The entire Alliance is an alliance in name only. GK does want 8 games and the ACC wants to continue playing 8, but without the B1G going to 8? These three cannot even agree on what a post-season playoff expansion should look like. And 2 of the 3 including the ACC, need the expanded playoff money. B1G Commish Warren is getting a lot of grief from many in the B1G for agreeing to an alliance with 2 conferences that have nowhere near the financial resources that the B1G has. 

I will be very surprised that within the next 5 years or so, the B1G doesn't add Kansas, Duke, UNC, UVA, Pitt and Georgia Tech; all AAU members. I also believe that the SEC, along with OK and TX, will add Clemson, FSU, NC State and VA Tech or Miami. 

Follow the money to the creation of 2, 20 team Super Conferences. And this will lead to a 'merger' of some kind between the Pac-12 and B12, which, IMO, should be happening now and has to happen sooner rather than latter for football 'in the west' to survive at  a competitive level.

On 2/16/2022 at 9:45 AM, Quackerbacker said:

Great!  That whole alliance thing sure worked out good.  Alot of change for the better.  

The main focus of the alliance was to take the spotlight off the SEC. 

It has or potentially still has the ability to be so much more but it requires sacrifice that not every conference is willing to do on any given issue. 

They do need to make a splash with some significant if they want to stay headline worthy though. It is quickly approaching "who cares?" Territory if they don't come to some splashy agreement about something. 

Good to hear.  Don't need to dumb down the schedule.  The push should be for the other conferences to play 9 conference games.

Gene Smith is one AD out of 14 B1G ADs. Yesterday, Iowa AD Gary Barta said he hoped the conference moved to 8 games as soon as possible. There is no unity regarding this issue across the B1G conference. 

Ohio State is in contention for the playoff every season. Not the case for the other 13 teams whose AD's recognize that no team that played 9 conference games has won the playoff.

On 2/17/2022 at 10:55 AM, geoquack said:

Good to hear.  Don't need to dumb down the schedule.  The push should be for the other conferences to play 9 conference games.

No team that played 9 conference games has won the playoff in its 8 seasons of existence. Perhaps the Pac-12 needs to smarten up the schedule? To not play Utah the same weekend Bama is playing New Mexico State?

• Thumbs Up 3

My take on our league and commissioner is that the only way to 8 games before current TV obligations 2024 was for the big 10 to agree. It sounds to me it could still happen at a later date.

It really needs to happen. It hurts us more than we can imagine. The toll on our players alone is the worst. I believe it gives the SEC, ACC and ND a huge advantage in getting to the PO.

I guess the big 10 thinks it will hurt their SOS. I believe that insane but maybe they know more than I.

Edited by Duck 1972
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/17/2022 at 8:11 AM, Jon Joseph said:

No team that played 9 conference games has won the playoff in its 8 seasons of existence. Perhaps the Pac-12 needs to smarten up the schedule? To not play Utah the same weekend Bama is playing New Mexico State?

If all teams played 9 conference games, as I suggest, your point goes away.  I want competitive games week in and week out.  No FCS opponents.  At least one Power 5 non-conference game every year.  Other two non-conference games can be Power 5 or other FBS schools.  That may mean that in some years you don't get 7 home games.  That's fine with me if we raise the level of competition throughout college football.  With just 12 glorious football weekends each Fall, don't waste one of them with a massacre of some FCS school needing a payday.  Sorry Portland State.

On 2/18/2022 at 8:05 AM, geoquack said:

If all teams played 9 conference games, as I suggest, your point goes away.  I want competitive games week in and week out.  No FCS opponents.  At least one Power 5 non-conference game every year.  Other two non-conference games can be Power 5 or other FBS schools.  That may mean that in some years you don't get 7 home games.  That's fine with me if we raise the level of competition throughout college football.  With just 12 glorious football weekends each Fall, don't waste one of them with a massacre of some FCS school needing a payday.  Sorry Portland State.

I agree that competitive games are preferable. I think once TX/OK come on board the SEC will go to 9? But as of today Kliavkoff wants 8 with an OOC game versus the ACC and an OCC game versus the B1G. Frankly, I don't think this scheduling agreement will come to fruition. The 7th home game played by almost all SEC teams does help the revenue cause. And playing 8 clearly helps create an easier path to the playoff.

On 2/17/2022 at 1:21 AM, David Marsh said:

The main focus of the alliance was to take the spotlight off the SEC. 

It has or potentially still has the ability to be so much more but it requires sacrifice that not every conference is willing to do on any given issue. 

They do need to make a splash with some significant if they want to stay headline worthy though. It is quickly approaching "who cares?" Territory if they don't come to some splashy agreement about something. 

With the announcement today that the playoff field will remain at 4 through 2025 the spotlight most certainly will not be off of the SEC. I think 2 SEC teams in the field which has happened twice in 8 years, is likely to happen again at least twice before the field expands in 2026. Then, count on 3 if not 4 SEC teams in the field.

Edited by Jon Joseph