30Duck

MBB: Sun Devils Scorch Ducks 81-57

Big game!  Can’t give away another one with the same horrid shooting of late.  Hope they find their shooting range.  If not…..pound it in to Dante and Franck,  ‘Sco Ducks!!!

I don't like Boyle from Colorado, but he's far behind Bobby makes me want to Hurl-ey

image.jpeg.7b7d849daa6e90bd11588802f42cffef.jpeg

• Haha 1

More great coverage of Pac-12 sports. I understand it's Washington, but putting that aside, the Washington at No. 17 USC is on the Pac-12 Network, tip-off is 8:30 PT. Besides family and friends of the players, who's going to watch this game?

Bill and Dave are in the house!!!

image.jpeg.35fcb17c417db3ed177f45d6a8df59ea.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/17/2022 at 6:00 PM, 30Duck said:

Bill and Dave are in the house!!!

Yay.

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Wow, once again Oregon playing catch and shoot. No movement, ball or player. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay Bittle, 4 points and a charge!

So far, either of the Utah football games last season was more fun to watch than this. 

Ducks continue to be unable to shoot:

5 for 24 from Three

6 for 29 overall from outside of the key.

Unsustainable for victory.  Glaring inability to make more than 10 footers in last 4 games.   Apparently, the carriage has turned back into a pumpkin.  The basketball gods have taken the shooting ability away from this year’s Ducks.   Must be Altman’s most frustrating Duck team.  Maybe…..too many transfer-ins at once for cohesion?

Edited by Duckdude

They certainly have not bought in to Altman's style of offense.

I am a bit surprised that the Men's and Women's Basketball Teams have No real Identity or consistent play.  They seem to be hit and miss, relying on the few "super stars" on the team.  When they have some great talent and transfers in their midst.

These are good to great talents, not just offensively but solid defensive players.  Where is the drive and Type "A" personalities that made them great.  Top Players understand they are only as good as those around them. 

MJ did not win his first NBA title just because he was the star.  He won because the talent around him understood their roles and the strength of the TEAM.  They had a coach that understood who was the key and how to get the best out of them all.  But I could be wrong and my wife says, I usually am.

• Thumbs Up 1

Time to let Ty Thompson play.

• Haha 2

Not to be negative but not a big deal if they don't make the tourney. Would not have had much of a run as this just isn't one of their better teams. NIT is the right speed for this group.

On 2/17/2022 at 8:33 PM, LADuck said:

Not to be negative but not a big deal if they don't make the tourney. Would not have had much of a run as this just isn't one of their better teams. NIT is the right speed for this group.

Not even NIT.  If you can’t make baskets, or defend, you’re just not gonna win a lotta games.   Somebody needs to teach these guys how to make baskets!

On 2/17/2022 at 8:33 PM, LADuck said:

I am not totally up to speed on either of the Men's or Women's Basketball teams.  But I have been under the impression that most of the the teams, men's specifically, have "one and done" players that play major roles.  So it seems difficult to almost impossible to build, a team over the long haul as you would with players looking to play "four years" at the school.

On 2/17/2022 at 8:44 PM, EzDucksIt said:

I am not totally up to speed on either of the Men's or Women's Basketball teams.  But I have been under the impression that most of the the teams, men's specifically, have "one and done" players that play major roles.  So it seems difficult to almost impossible to build, a team over the long haul as you would with players looking to play "four years" at the school.

Welcome to the world of the portal.  No connection, no cohesion and often not many fans at the game.  

On 2/17/2022 at 9:52 PM, McDuck said:

Welcome to the world of the portal.  No connection, no cohesion and often not many fans at the game.  

As I do not follow the MBB as much, I think that Pritchard was the last to really put in the full (?) four years.  As for the WBB, I am a bit surprised that the (?) 2020 class when they had the five- 5 Star Recruits, losing one to UCLA the following year, is struggling.  I would have expected better from kids that played at a higher "League" level in High School, as is true for most of the "one and done" men players.

Also, the portal for MBB was different from the collegiate Football Portal, was it not?  Prior, in football you had to sit out a year, am I wrong?  The main reason for my interest in College sports was more the "TEAM" aspect from the pro's, in either basketball or football.  Sadly, it seems it is getting harder to know the difference anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

Offensively, over the last six games, this team is trending the wrong direction.

@ Colorado 66 points in a win

@ Utah 80 points in a win

Stanford in Eugene 68 points in a win

California in Eugene 64 points in a loss

Washington State in Eugene 62 points in a win

@ Arizona State 57 points in a loss

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/17/2022 at 10:40 PM, EzDucksIt said:

The main reason for my interest in College sports was more the "TEAM" aspect from the pro's, in either basketball or football.  Sadly, it seems it is getting harder to know the difference anymore.

Exactly.  I used to be a much bigger fan of basketball than football.  I cancelled the Pac-12 network years ago and now I seldom even watch the men's games.  With only a couple exceptions every years starts with a bunch of strangers running around wearing Oregon uniforms, seldom functioning as a team.  Maybe they cohere by years end (obviously not this year) but many will move on after the season.  Rinse and repeat the following year.

Basketball can be a thing of beauty.  The Dillon Brooks and Sabrina teams were a joy to watch.  Fluid movement and comradery on both ends of the court.  Not the 2021-22 men's unit, I turned it off at halftime.

• Like 1

Does anyone else feel as Oregon Sports gets further into tournaments that the "Character" of Oregon Sports are losing the luster or appeal.  I would love to have seen, Sabrina lead the lady Ducks to a high level in basketball. 

The Men's Basketball team also.  Although I am not sure I am so thrilled with the one year "individuals".  Those that have no true investment in the school or programs in which they participate.

The Football team seems to be heading that way too.  Sad, really, that College sports is turning into "Pro Sports" league of sorts.  Leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

I had a better time going with the wife and her twin sister to our kids HS Football Rivalry game.  I enjoyed the game, the kids in the stands the band and the game atmosphere.  The parents helping with fund raising, supporting the other under funded activities.

With the Portal you have strangers coming to a new school, new team, new coach and new systems.  The old method of good ball players like Bittle coming onboard, bonding with others who have been recruited out of high school, playing together, being coached by a staff and developing into the type of ball players that system was looking for.  Now coaches have to juggle being a psychologist, therapist and coach to put something respectable on the floor or field.  These portal guys want their minutes, the Ty Thompsons and Bittles are wondering as they warm on hardwood what their future holds.  The fun is being taking from college sports!