30Duck

Are LaMichael James and Kenjon Barner the Best Rushing Tandem in Oregon Football History?

This may not be the place for this, but I'd like to share a funny story with you all. I believe it was 2008. I was at DFW airport and wearing one of my Oregon hoodies and had called for a cab. I noticed a tall, extremely tan, white-haired man flag down what was my cab. I'm 6'1" and this gentlemen seemed a couple inches taller than I am. At any rate, I walked up to let him know it was my cab to which he apologized for trying to nab my taxi and then asked if I was an Oregon fan.

While it seemed obvious, I politely answered that I was a die-hard Ducks fan. He then told me that he was down here from USC to talk to a recruit, and that we were about to have an electric running back that was going to break every rushing record we had at Oregon. I asked in dismay if this new back was going to be more fun to watch than Blount to which he responded, "you won't even remember Blount once this guy gets there". 

Needless to say, he had been in Texarkana trying to recruit LaMichael James and knew it hadn't gone well but gave me a foreshadowing of what was to come. He wasn't wrong though as James was ELECTRIC, although I still fondly look back on watching Blount absolutely truck people en route to yet another Oregon touchdown. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

The most electrifying tandem for sure. Either could take it to the house from anywhere on the field. When LaMichael broke free it was rare to see him tackled from behind. 

Great memory watching Barner have his epic game at USC. I sat in the middle of the USC alumni, and watched a +300 yd rushing, 5 TD effort. USC fans were totally upset that I had tickets in their section. Got to watch some of the more obnoxious USC fans in that section go home early…

Absolutely loved it. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

What about LaMike and Blount?  I used to love watching the D get worn out chasing LMJ, then get bulldozed by Blount.  

I also loved JStew and JJ, they always seemed to complement each other.

That said it's hard to make an argument against LMJ and Barner.

Damn we had some great duos!

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Thumbs Up 3

My favorite part of the James - Barner story is that the Ducks were short at RB after Blount was suspended from the Boise game.

Coaches asked if anyone played RB in high school.

A backup DB named Kenjon Barner raised his hand, and the rest is history. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Great players. Both.

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember when Barner got knocked out at WSU.  Was very sad to see such an electric runner, get hammered, wondering would he ever get back on the field after a hit like that.  He surprised and delighted us all to step up to the plate and had a wonderful year after LMJ moved on to the NFL.  So proud of him and he had such a great year out of the shadow of LMJ.  What a humble guy in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/17/2022 at 4:13 PM, shawnski said:

My favorite part of the James - Barner story is that the Ducks were short at RB after Blount was suspended from the Boise game.

Coaches asked if anyone played RB in high school.

A backup DB named Kenjon Barner raised his hand, and the rest is history. 

Then he scored the eventual game winner against Purdue on a 3rd and very long.

• Thumbs Up 1

Where does Dye and Verdell fit in? They’re up there, but they couldn’t electrify Autzen like LMJ, KB, LGB, JJ or JStew could. I would probably put them 4th behind these guys and the Morris/Smith combo. BTW, Travis Dye shirts are selling on the Duck Store site at a steep discount. He’s even modeling them. I still don’t know how I feel about a Trojan modeling Duck gear. Even if his name is on it. Send the remaining shirts overseas with our 2022 Pac-12 Championship shirts.