Charles Fischer

Help for Herbert is Coming?

I just read that the Chargers were one of the four teams who could benefit the most in the off-season.  They have 56 million in cap-space available and a ton of needs on defense.

They were tied for 29th worst defense in the NFL, (Out of 32 teams? Not many were worse!) as they gave up 27 points a game...and that's in the NFL game, not college.  They lost SO MANY close games that lowering that number to 20 points could have them winning big?

I know very little about the Pro game...anyone know more and can offer some thoughts?

Herbert in 2021_LA Twitter.jpg

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

There first priority this past season under Coach Staley (Former Rams DC) was to get the offense going under Herbert. Safe to say they did.

2022 is the defenses turn. Staley brought in a very complex system, so in year 2 they should be more comfortable. Plus, as you mentioned, all that cap space , 2nd in the NFL.

So, things so far are going as planned. 

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 2/27/2022 at 11:40 AM, Darren Perkins said:

So, things so far are going as planned. 

Yes, the defense doesn't have to go from 29th to 9th for the Chargers to be legitimate Super Bowl contenders. If next year, instead of giving up 27 points a game on average, they give up 23, they win 12 instead of 9.

• Thumbs Up 4

With that cap space the Chargers should be able to pick up a good free agent or 2 and sign a good kid out of the draft; or, am I off on what players are being paid in today's NFL?

Like Charles, I am not that familiar with what's going on in the League other than knowing that the NFL had some great post season games this year. Sure seems like 2021 was a season when the concept of 'parity' really worked for the NFL. Meanwhile in CFB, I expect a return to the usual suspects in 2022. No G5 team in. Ohio State in and a good chance for 2 SEC teams to be in.

Chargers allowed an average of 138 yards rushing which ranked 30th in the NFL. Their pass defense allowed 221 yards per game, and ranked 10th in the NFL. 

They need to identify the problems with their rush defense. 

If they can address those problems, then they will be capable of beating anyone. 

• Thumbs Up 4

They will need to get going because once they have to pay Justin things will get tight.  Rookie contracts are a huge blessing when you have a great QB. (See Russell Wilson)

Love Justin but not sure another team will be the best thing. Takes at least 3 years to perfect a system and Justin has been straddled with a bad college coach and a team in the nfl that probably won’t pay for him. Would hate to see him jump ship. You can blame the defense if you want  but Justin had several opportunities to pull games out at the end with a very good offense and it didn’t happen. He needs to grow and not move around from offense to offense. Not a great combination for success. He’s not Tom Brady yet.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/27/2022 at 12:56 PM, Jon Joseph said:

With that cap space the Chargers should be able to pick up a good free agent or 2 and sign a good kid out of the draft; or, am I off on what players are being paid in today's NFL?

Like Charles, I am not that familiar with what's going on in the League other than knowing that the NFL had some great post season games this year. Sure seems like 2021 was a season when the concept of 'parity' really worked for the NFL. Meanwhile in CFB, I expect a return to the usual suspects in 2022. No G5 team in. Ohio State in and a good chance for 2 SEC teams to be in.

Can you imagine if NFL style Marxism hit the college level?  The conferences with big TV revenue have to share with those that don't...so that every team gets an equal payout every year, kind of like a level cap.  Every team can only pay NIL at the same max.  The NIL part might hurt a big Nike school like Oregon, but the PAC would sure recover from Loser Larry a lot quicker.  Yeah...won't happen. 

And even with caps, somebody wins the super bowl and NBA championship while somebody goes 2-14 and 20-62.  And MLB has no cap and the Yankwads spend double the closest next payroll and haven't won the world series in a while, you'd think they'd win it every year.  So...maybe caps don't even matter?  Sorry, Sunday evening ramblings

On 2/27/2022 at 10:13 PM, JDuck said:

Can you imagine if NFL style Marxism hit the college level?  The conferences with big TV revenue have to share with those that don't...so that every team gets an equal payout every year, kind of like a level cap.  Every team can only pay NIL at the same max.  The NIL part might hurt a big Nike school like Oregon, but the PAC would sure recover from Loser Larry a lot quicker.  Yeah...won't happen. 

And even with caps, somebody wins the super bowl and NBA championship while somebody goes 2-14 and 20-62.  And MLB has no cap and the Yankwads spend double the closest next payroll and haven't won the world series in a while, you'd think they'd win it every year.  So...maybe caps don't even matter?  Sorry, Sunday evening ramblings

Good take. However, I very much doubt that the 32 NFL owners consider themselves as individuals to be 'Marxist?' But spot on regarding the NFL being run as a collective. The league is run with restrictions and conditions that benefit all of the League's 'partners,' including the players. It was the Players Union that put a cap on rookie salaries and agreed to all other terms and conditions after negotiations with management, negotiations that are often heated. And of course, the contract with management is not perpetual but will be re-negotiated from time to time when an existing agreement expires. 

Of course, CFB players have no union. Gains in the nature of NIL have been the result of various state legislation and court decisions. If a CFB Players Union comes about, which I believe will happen, what entity will the Union negotiate with? It won't be the NCAA. The NCAA has handed off football governance to the G5 and the P5.

I think CFB 'union advocates' are likely to win the battle but lose the war? I believe that many of the 131 G5/P5 (soon to move to 133) schools participating in 'scholarship football' today are unlikely to continue to do so once  'student-athletes' become employees of their respective school?

(MLB does have a cap in the form of a 'Luxury Tax' that is a major reason for the current impasse between MLB players and management.)

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/28/2022 at 9:43 AM, Jon Joseph said:

However, I very much doubt that the 32 NFL owners consider themselves as individuals to be 'Marxist?'

Agree.  With the boatloads of money the NFL makes, it would hardly be considered Marxist with their financial results that benefit the owners, coaches and players.

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/27/2022 at 6:42 PM, Just Ducky said:

You can blame the defense if you want  but Justin had several opportunities to pull games out at the end with a very good offense and it didn’t happen.

There were certainly plays that Justin and the offense could have made, but overall, as Drake pointed out, the offense finished ranked 10th the Chargers rush defense ranked 30th. 

• Like 1

Actually the Chargers were #4 in offense and Kansas City had a worse defense and got to the super bowl. The Chargers had trouble finishing the games and scoring when the game was on the line.

On 2/28/2022 at 4:47 PM, Just Ducky said:

Actually the Chargers were #4 in offense and Kansas City had a worse defense and got to the super bowl. The Chargers had trouble finishing the games and scoring when the game was on the line.

What is hopeful for the Chargers and should be scary for the rest of the NFL is that the Chargers can improve their rushing defense next season; and as great as Justin has played his first two seasons, he can play better still.