Grumpy Oldman

Have D-II Play in the Spring?

If they were to move D-II football to Spring, it would mean more money for the NCAA, the networks, and the teams. It would also give the teams and players more exposure, and the fans wouldn't have to wait nine torturous months to watch another game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Way to think outside the box. Fall is synonymous with football, but no reason spring can't be season-II.

Hello Grumpy, and welcome to the forum.  I am glad to see you post an opinion and would encourage you to do it often!

As for your topic...well, I do not picture TV Networks broadcasting the games of Western Oregon University in Monmouth, for example, or other D-II teams.  Thus attendance would depend upon people coming to their games, and I'm not sure I picture that in the spring--even if there was nothing else.

Interesting to ponder though, for other alternatives.

Mr. FishDuck

Interesting idea but I’m not giving up spare time in the spring to watch D11 football. Charles is correct. The networks would not likely jump on that.

Just an increase in gate revenue would help. D-2 and 3 teams may get more traction within their proximity with no other football competition. Their playoffs may get more tv time too. I agree they aren't going to get national or regional exposure with a Linfield-Pacific game. Lavish Larry is for hire, and maybe he can work some magic with a tv deal, but it would take some magic.

I would add no one thought ESPN would work either. Who would want to watch sports 24/7? Who would want to watch football in the spring? In the south, at least, I bet a lot of people would like to get their fix of football when the shelves are bare.

• Haha 1

On 3/10/2022 at 1:13 AM, Grumpy Oldman said:

If they were to move D-II football to Spring, it would mean more money for the NCAA, the networks, and the teams. It would also give the teams and players more exposure, and the fans wouldn't have to wait nine torturous months to watch another game.

Grumpy. Thanks for the take? How would it bring in more money to the NCAA? The NCAA might get more from a D2 tourney played in the spring but significantly more? 

We have another one making attempt come this spring but no NFL-Lite conference has made it to date. Maybe an entity would stream these games but i don't think the media would pony up the money to broadcast these games?

The conference networks might be able to make this work. Could be a huge loser though.  Most people are getting out after a long winter. Just don't see conferences taking the risk.

Hey Grumpy....with a Posting Name such as yours...I decided to give you an avatar of Walter Matthau, in "Grumpy Old Men," and if you want something different--email me and we can adjust!  charles@fishduck.com 

80: opprobrious - word-haiku

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/10/2022 at 8:03 PM, Log Haulin said:

The conference networks might be able to make this work. Could be a huge loser though.  Most people are getting out after a long winter. Just don't see conferences taking the risk.

I don't believe that any D2 team has a network? 

What works on media = $. Pure (?) and simple.

Let's see now NFL-Lite coming soon on FOX does? If this makes it it will be the first to do so. And the players on NFL-Lite will be far better players than one sees in D2.

Thank you Sir for raising the topic.