EastBayDuckDad

Can Lanning Bring the 2021-22 Georgia D Talent to Oregon?

Georgia had eight defensive players in the combine, and for the most part they put on a show. That wouldn't be a surprise if they were all 5☆ recruits, and three were, but more were 3-4☆ out of high school:

g1bpirkpggciesqcr7bq
WWW.NFL.COM

Defensive linemen and linebackers took the field on Saturday at the NFL Scouting Combine. Who starred on the big stage? Who...

Jordan Davis   DL   3☆

Travon Walker   DL  5☆

DeVonte Wright  DL  4☆

Nakobe Dean    LB   5☆  

Channing Tindall   ILB  4☆

Quay Walker   LB   4☆

Lewis Cine    S    4☆

Derion Kendrick  DB   5☆

Dean and Kendrick, both 5☆, didn't do drills at the combine. Dean, Walker, Wyatt and Davis could all go in the first round with Tindall, Walker and Cine soon after. Lanning and crew took kids with varying levels of raw talent and developed them into NFL caliber players. I've got to believe that if they could do it there, they can do it here. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In part? Maybe. On the whole? Not without a whole lot of NIL $ being thrown around. And does NIL $ trump NFL $.

Most of the guys you noted are from the SE. Most went to a school and to play in a conference that send the most guys, especially the Big Boy guys, to the NFL. A conference with its own very successful network owned and operated by CFB media cartel ESPN. Millions more eyeballs watched UGA play in 2021 than watched Oregon play.

Once again in 2021 we watched 2 teams from the southeastern part of the country play for the title. This with Clemson (an SEC school masquerading as an ACC school) missing the playoff for the 1st time in 6 seasons.

Georgia's recruiting budget is 3x that of Oregon's recruiting budget. Oregon's recruiting budget is on par with that of Vanderbilt.

I think Lanning will bring in many top drawer recruits. But to expect Dan to bring in the same number of 4 and 5* guys UGA brings in is, IMO, unrealistic.

Thanks for the post. Not a scintilla of my opinion is directed at you or at the terrific question you ask; the numbers are simply what they are.

• Thumbs Up 2

EastBayDuckDad, thank you for posting this information.

I agree with Jon that alot goes into bringing high 4☆ and 5☆ talent to Oregon. Especially when they seemed to be entrenched in the southeast.

Money is a big factor to some. Mommas home cooking is another.

Most of all, Coach Lanning and staff must get to the CFP and eventually put a Natty on the books.

It's one thing to have the best facilities, as Oregon does. But we need the proven championship pedigree. Coach Lanning will bring some of the best defensive talent to Oregon, ever. Why, because when he gets that ring on his finger his credibility will skyrocket.

Great times ahead but we might want to consider being patient, maybe? Maybe not?

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree with the others so far. Lanning isn't going to turn Oregon into the SEC really West school. But he can come closer than any coach Oregon has ever had. He left Georgia to come to Oregon, that alone is something he can tell recruits. Oregon will have to produce to get the top talent to come to Oregon, so getting some of the talent that is visiting this weekend is going to be huge. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I think it may be unrealistic to expect regular top 5 ranked recruiting classes but I think it's definitely reasonable to expect classes within the top 12 year after year.  Talent-wise that still puts Oregon in the same ballpark as other CFP contenders.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I read somewhere that Oregon's  contributing players on D last year had an average of 3.5 stars. I doubt Oregon will compete at a Geo. level defensively.  I do think production will increase dramatically over last year. Could be the best D Oregon has ever fielded. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the responses. My point is that Lanning is able to develop talent as well as recruit it. I don't expect to have a Georgia/SEC-CFP level defense in a year. We do have 4 and 5 star talent (Sewell, Flowe, Manning, et al) though, and I don't think Lanning takes the Oregon job if he doesn't think he can build that here. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 3/10/2022 at 12:03 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Georgia had eight defensive players in the combine, and for the most part they put on a show. That wouldn't be a surprise if they were all 5☆ recruits, and three were, but more were 3-4☆ out of high school:

g1bpirkpggciesqcr7bq
WWW.NFL.COM

Defensive linemen and linebackers took the field on Saturday at the NFL Scouting Combine. Who starred on the big stage? Who...

Jordan Davis   DL   3☆

Travon Walker   DL  5☆

DeVonte Wright  DL  4☆

Nakobe Dean    LB   5☆  

Channing Tindall   ILB  4☆

Quay Walker   LB   4☆

Lewis Cine    S    4☆

Derion Kendrick  DB   5☆

Dean and Kendrick, both 5☆, didn't do drills at the combine. Dean, Walker, Wyatt and Davis could all go in the first round with Tindall, Walker and Cine soon after. Lanning and crew took kids with varying levels of raw talent and developed them into NFL caliber players. I've got to believe that if they could do it there, they can do it here. 

I mean Mario I don't believe was bringing in this type of talent this early or for that matter never all in the same day or weekend. I could be wrong but Dan the Man to me gets it many times over for his age. Three 5 star Defenders in the spring. Heck yeah sign me up. Lanning to me has done everything the right way from staying on at Georgia and finnishing what he started and I admire this young guy as he was raised the right way.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 3/10/2022 at 12:17 PM, Jon Joseph said:

In part? Maybe. On the whole? Not without a whole lot of NIL $ being thrown around. And does NIL $ trump NFL $.

Most of the guys you noted are from the SE. Most went to a school and to play in a conference that send the most guys, especially the Big Boy guys, to the NFL. A conference with its own very successful network owned and operated by CFB media cartel ESPN. Millions more eyeballs watched UGA play in 2021 than watched Oregon play.

Once again in 2021 we watched 2 teams from the southeastern part of the country play for the title. This with Clemson (an SEC school masquerading as an ACC school) missing the playoff for the 1st time in 6 seasons.

Georgia's recruiting budget is 3x that of Oregon's recruiting budget. Oregon's recruiting budget is on par with that of Vanderbilt.

I think Lanning will bring in many top drawer recruits. But to expect Dan to bring in the same number of 4 and 5* guys UGA brings in is, IMO, unrealistic.

Thanks for the post. Not a scintilla of my opinion is directed at you or at the terrific question you ask; the numbers are simply what they are.

Tosh makes a huge difference period! I will just say that I'm betting this next class will be Oregon's best ever and maybe Top 5 and don't believe for a second he can't do this every year. Nobody thought Taggart or Cristabal would recruit like they did here either. Lanning I'm telling you gets it and he will make it happen. This guy is smart, super smart and everything he's done every day up till today proves it.

• Thumbs Up 2