Badwater

Ducks Women Basketball Has Season's End

Needless to say, the game was a HUGE disappointment for me. Much like then men, I feel that the women underperformed on a grand scale. The game is still chomping at my britches.

usa_today_14161299.jpg
WWW.ADDICTEDTOQUACK.COM

Belmont brings Oregon’s season to a close

There are things about the team that puzzle me.  Our small players are not fast movers.  We need to do a better job of recruiting speed.

We almost always finish every half and every game with unused times out, yet our players appear to be tired.  Why not rest them?

Then there is what I call the "prevent offense".  At the end of each of the four quarters our time management is not calculated to get the most possessions.  When you get the ball with 55 seconds left in the period, you need to get a shot off in no more than 15 seconds.  That leaves you another possession before the horn, two for one.  Yet when we get that possession with a minute to 50 seconds left we invaribly use almost all of our 30 seconds and take a shot with five or fewer seconds left, in effect, giving up a possession.  

When the circumstance is reversed, and we get the ball with 25-30 seconds left, we hold it until there is ten or fewer seconds left before any effort to score.  With our lack of speed, and tired players, this strategy is doomed to fail, as it almost always does.

On 3/20/2022 at 4:35 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

We need to do a better job of recruiting speed.

I would agree with that; the 5-Stars have not panned out that way.  It seems others run easily past our players at times...

Mr. FishDuck

as I posted in another on this forum:

Lady Ducks need to get 3 point shooters that are a consistent threat, especially at the 3 guard. There were too many games that the 3 point percentage was in the teens -  all in losses.

Pappao and Rogers were hot and cold 3 point shooters. Parrish was very inconsistent 3 point and 2 point shooter.

The Ducks recruiting class two years ago was ranked #1. It turns out so far, that none but PaoPao is a scoring threat. Parrish so far is not. Watson, Scherr are good defenders and rebounders. Angela Dugalic is a good rebounder, good defender and scorer around the basket and out front. I was disappointed when she transferred; not so much on Chavez's transfer.

Oregon's 2020 recruiting class is now ranked #2 behind UCLA. (It was #1 until the number 1 point guard committed to UCLA.) Oregon class has two point guards who are

top scorers in high school, Chance Gray (Ohio, 5 star ) and Jennah Isai (Arizona, 4 star) .  A 6'3" forward Grace VanSlooten (Ohio and now IMG, Florida, 5 star) and a 6'7" center Kennedy Basham (Arizona, 4 star). Ducks have a 2023-24 commitment from Amar Whiting a high scoring point guard (Idaho).

Women's b-ball teams with 3 or more 3 point consistent shooters (starters or subs) are now the top tier teams.   

Kelly's interview after the Belmont loss acknowledged the Ducks must improve in this area. I think his next two recruiting classes may address this.

My humble opinion. No leader. Sabrina was a unique one off and there is no one to fill those shoes. Lots of skill and talent but iffy cohesion and leadership. And Sedona Prince. Don't know what to say about that