Charles Fischer

Sweet Sixteen: A Bad Day for the West

Perhaps those who are basketball-astute can explain why both Gonzaga and Arizona lost?  Whew!

Mr. FishDuck

They scored fewer points than the opponent?

KIDDING!

Down to the dinged up Bruins playing UNC in Philly. 

Gonzaga never did get adjusted to the officiating and Arkansas was much more physical. That was a severe pounding they took.

Arizona just got outhustled by Houston and their defensive energy. They kept Koloko, Tubelis and Mathurin controlled and chased guys off the 3 point line. The Cats also really missed a full go Kerr in the backcourt but I'm not sure it would have made much of a difference. Houston blowing Oregon out last fall in Vegas by 29 points was no fluke. I had 'Zona in my final four, too. 🙁

On 3/25/2022 at 8:48 AM, Just Ducky said:

That was a severe pounding they took.

Absolutely. Like Oregon, the Zags had no Alpha Dog last night. For the Zags it worked out alright for most of the season, their transition game is that good. But Ark slowed it down. Holmgren tried to lead, but it's hard to do that from the frontcourt. and he couldn't match up against Ark's bigs and was in foul trouble early. Holmgren is projected as a high Lottery pick, but unless he puts on 30 lbs, what happened last night will happen in every game in the NBA.

On 3/25/2022 at 9:12 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Arizona just got outhustled by Houston and their defensive energy. They kept Koloko, Tubelis and Mathurin controlled and chased guys off the 3 point line

Exactly how I saw it, and I had AZ in my Final 4 too. 

I am not a Dukie. I still chap at Coach K getting in Dillon Brooks' grill a few years back. From the guy who coached up bad-sport poster child Grayson Allen. Legendary coach, yes, but the entited hypocrisy, oy!. The only positive about their win over Texas Tech yesterday is that there is now one less game on the "Coach K Bad Hairdye*-Sourpuss Countdown".

I would happily settle for Arkansas taking them out in the Elite 8. It would be even sweeter if it could be UCLA in the Final Four. Just don't want to see him cutting down the nets for his last game. 

* I know he says he doesn't color his hair, but c'mon man!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/25/2022 at 9:22 AM, 30Duck said:

Exactly how I saw it, and I had AZ in my Final 4 too. 

Who knows who stays or goes but the Wildcats was one of the youngest CBB teams in 2022. And with a 1st year coach.

On 3/25/2022 at 11:48 AM, Just Ducky said:

Gonzaga never did get adjusted to the officiating and Arkansas was much more physical. That was a severe pounding they took.

Kind of like SEC football?

• Thumbs Up 1

Who would you choose to coach a game? Kelvin Sampson or Tommy Lloyd?

I would take Sampson every time.

Ducks played 'Zona pretty tough this season, and only lost by a couple of points. Seeing the Ducks playing Houston earlier in the season, it was clear the Cougars played tenacious defense as they absolutely crushed the Ducks. While I was hoping for a Wildcat win, I was fearful of Houston going in. Wouldn't be surprised to see Houston go a long way in the tourney this year.

On 3/25/2022 at 4:46 PM, ICamel said:

Who would you choose to coach a game? Kelvin Sampson or Tommy Lloyd?

I would take Sampson every time.

Once upon a time Kelvin was the CBB HC at WAZZU. 

Houston plays Villanova today for a Final 4 spot. The game location in San Antonio is great for Houston. Ditto for Kansas playing Miami Sunday in Chicago. 

The above 2 are left from the 6 Pac-20 teams that made the Sweet 16. UCLA got a lesson in Love from UNC. TX TECH went down to Duke as the Coach K tour continues. Iowa State lost to Miami but what a rebound by an Iowa State team that won 2 CBB games the season prior. Zona went down to Houston in San Antonio but Floyd did a great job in year one and AZ was one of the youngest teams in CBB in 2021.

Notable that 4 seeded UCLA had to play 8 seeded UNC in Philly and 1 seed Arizona had to play Houston in San Antonio, a two hour drive from Houston.

Will Gene Hackman be on the bench when St Pete's plays UNC? It would be fitting, 'as no small school has ever gone this far before.' (Thank you, Shooter.)

BTW: CBB HC salaries. 3 Pac-12 HCs make $3M+ including Dana Altman; 11 ACC HCs make $3M+; 10 B1G HCs make $3M+; Ditto for the SEC; 6 B12 coaches make $3M+ and this is before Houston officially joins the B12. 

Money matters.

Think the NCAA wants Coach K to keep keeping on?

Duke beat Tech by 5 points. Free throws - Duke 15-17, Tech 5-9.

On 3/25/2022 at 9:46 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

* I know he says he doesn't color his hair, but c'mon man!

He's a lying liar with extra liar sauce.

• Haha 1