Steven A

Overton Deciding Friday

Whew!  Crossed fingers..,

Mr. FishDuck

Not getting my hopes up.  He was scheduled to visit Oklahoma this weekend yet he is suddenly announcing beforehand.  Reportedly an early A&M lean guess where he visited a couple days age---$$$$TAMU$$$$.  

The NIL situation has become disconcerting when it comes to recruiting.  We lost JC to Tennessee and might possibly lose Overton to TAMU?  Who knows how much USC is willing to pay out for this same very purpose, to beat out the competition.

I feel like the NIL has brought sad days to college football.  Colleges losing out with top recruits because they can't compete financially with other institutions who can.  Oregon might not be able to bring in these recruits because of this, even though we have great facilities and what it has to offer for recruits as student athletes as one of the perks.  But it seems now whoever is the highest bidder takes the prize.

I feel like NIL money shadowing over a school who spent a lot of money for certain players, what is this going to do to a team as a whole?  Not just football but basketball, baseball, track and field as well as other non-profiting sports?  

I know this has been a conversation for awhile, but it's frustrating seeing this happening that could possibly destroy college sports as a whole.  Don't get me wrong, I believe players should be compensated above a full scholarship ride, but NIL should be harnessed with check and balances so there isn't this free for all that is going on.

Sorry, I guess I am ranting.  I hope I am wrong about this whole situation and rules will eventually be put in place, but so far it does not look good.

• Thumbs Up 2

For upper level guys ( potential first round picks), NIL should be the last priority. For them the money will come soon anyway.

What should be a priority is the amount of top quality training you can get before turning pro. It looks like half of Lanning’s UGA D is heading towards first round picks.

That equates to a much higher paycheck in the NFL than any NIL deal they’ll get in college.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/31/2022 at 10:19 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

For upper level guys ( potential first round picks), NIL should be the last priority. For them the money will come soon anyway.

What should be a priority is the amount of top quality training you can get before turning pro. It looks like half of Lanning’s UGA D is heading towards first round picks.

That equates to a much higher paycheck in the NFL than any NIL deal they’ll get in college.

Just to state the obvious, there's something to be said for getting your millions now if it's available. For every Kayvon Thibadeaux who's a projected top 10 NFL pick out of high school, there's a Thomas Tyner who gets hurt and misses the opportunity to get paid for the work they've already put in. We all know football is inherently violent and dangerous and your future in it can change in the blink of an eye, so one in the hand is worth two in the bush as they say...

• Thumbs Up 1