Steven A

Lincoln Riley--Top Coach Under Age 45?

What do you think of the list?

Should J Smith be there now?

And, two years max before Lanning moves up.  Hopefully past Lincoln.

graphic-bn45.jpg
WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Many of these up-and-comers have already reached significant career milestones

hudson-card.jpg
WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

These battles impact whether teams like Alabama, Notre Dame and Texas will meet expectations in 2022

Confused! The article is about position battles at different schools including RBs at Oregon. Nothing about coaches.

The description of the the Ducks RBs is very interesting.

I am pretty sure the list is based on who has the nicest house, not the best coach. I could be proven wrong, but that is my analysis of the list.

The second article is on the coaches when you scroll down. Agree the article on some of the position battles is interesting too.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/13/2022 at 4:44 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Confused! The article is about position battles at different schools including RBs at Oregon. Nothing about coaches.

The description of the the Ducks RBs is very interesting.

Scroll down. The article starts below that. 

Edited by Drake
  • Thanks 1

The big thing here for me is that the No.1 for Riley is based on his accomplishments at OU. Newsflash, he's not at OU anymore, he's at USC! Keeping Lanning off the list because he hasn't been a head coach yet is fair. But Riley is riding on the coattails of what he did before taking his new job, which will be a whole new challenge. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Lanning and J. Smith are under other notables.

I still don't understand the fascination with J. Smith.  His record as a HC is 16-28, 12-22 with last season being his only season where he won more games than lost.  The only win he has vs a ranked team is against Oregon during the COVID season.  Even though Utah wasn't ranked at the time, the Beavers did beat Utah last year.

2018 2-10 (1-8) No wins vs teams with winning records

2019 5-7 (4-5) 2 wins vs 8-5 Cal and 8-5 ASU

2020 2-5 (2-5) 1 win vs 4-3 Oregon

2021 7-6 (5-4) 2 wins vs 8-5 ASU and 10-4 Utah

I'm not buying J. Smith until he shows me more.  A 9-4 or 8-5 season would go a long way this year to show he is a good coach.

On 4/14/2022 at 11:49 AM, Tandaian said:

I'm not buying J. Smith until he shows me more.

Fair.  However, I look at it based upon where he started from and what he has done with what he has to deal with.  We sure don't see any coaches from sub-500 teams, but that doesn't mean they are bad coaches.