FishDuck Article

Is McGee Oregon’s Next Position-less Superstar?

I love the comparisons Joshua, and a fun read as always!

Seven-McGee-Spring-Game_FP_Gary-Breedlov
FISHDUCK.COM

The Oregon Ducks have become famous for their explosive skill position players. In recent years, running backs such as LaMichael James and Kenjon Barner...

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Yes, move him around, make defenses game plan to stop Seven and then have to look for where he is each play, back field, slot, out wide, in motion for a jet sweep of fake, turn that into a wheel rout or cut it off to a short crossing rout and watch what happens with yards after the catch.

If he gets the ball with space anywhere on the field it's a potential big play! 

His presence then opens up other parts of the offense. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Seven is a weapon at this level and the next as a Tyreek is used. After seeing Hill sign a $120 million dollar contract Seven would do well to stay out of the backfield, and work on becoming the same type of weapon Hill is. Seven should work on catching the ball and getting open. He has the other skills already.

The mistake with DAT was letting him become the everyday RB his senior year. If he had worked harder at becoming a WR he may have had a career more like what we see with Tyreek. 

Little guys who are quick are an incredible weapon. The jet sweep, quick screen, but he needs to stay out of the backfield. I just hope the staff didn't sell him on being a RB like DAT was promised. I have a feeling this staff knows exactly how to use Seven. The reason he was transferring is he knew the previous staff didn't.

Hayward I politely disagree with your last statement. He didn't enter the portal til way after MC left. 

• Salute 1

I think we pretty much all agree with you Josh. This element is a huge advantage in college football. I think our new staff realizes his talent and will make sure Seven gets his chances to display that ability.

Best thing that could of happened for Seven was when MC walked out the door, thank god. You can’t coach speed and quickness and he seems to have both. Must of been frustrating to have talent only to use it keeping the bench warm. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I love the matchup possibilities Seven presents, but I do worry about injury with him.  I believe he needs to be used primarily as a receiver, and sparingly....

McGee celebrating_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Fun read, Joshua. Always great to look back on some of the flashiest stars of years past. One quibble with your comparisons, though. I see Byron Marshall more as a true running back from Day 1. He lacked the speed and shiftiness of the others you mentioned. What he did have--better than ANY Duck running back in my memory--was an uncanny ability to follow his blockers to decide when to make his cuts. I guess that has to do with field vision. Whatever the case, it was always a pleasure to watch that guy run.

Thanks for bringing back the memories.

• Applause 1

One of my favorites was Braylon Addison.

He played WR and returner, but if you remember, he took a few snaps under center and threw a couple TD passes.

He would have had a great senior year with Marcus I believe if he hadn't hurt his knee (hence Byron Marshall to WR).

Enjoying success in Canada 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/1/2022 at 9:06 AM, WiseKwacker said:

. I see Byron Marshall more as a true running back from Day 1. He lacked the speed and shiftiness of the others you mentioned. What he did have--better than ANY Duck running back in my memory--was an uncanny ability to follow his blockers to decide when to make his cuts

This is how I remember Byron as well; I think he has to be among the leaders in Oregon for fewest yards lost, he was always going forward. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Marshall was such a tremendous receiver, and I recall the cool TD in the 'Natty....

Byron Marshall scores in NC_John Giustina.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

A "position-less superstar".

What a great line! A "slash player" is pretty good too.

I agree completely. This should be a fun year for Seven, and he gets to wear his number also. We won't have any trouble knowing when he has the ball.

Dillingham will have many plays designed for him I'm sure.

Btw, to get 1000 yards rushing and to do it as a receiver also, you have to have speed and shiftiness, just sayin.

• Applause 1

On 6/1/2022 at 6:21 AM, Duck 1972 said:

Hayward I politely disagree with your last statement. He didn't enter the portal til way after MC left. 

Agree, he was under the Mario spell, and the Oregon program kept him in place. Fortunately it only took a few hours for the Lanning machine to bring him back out of the portal.

On 6/1/2022 at 9:15 AM, Haywarduck said:

Seven is a weapon at this level and the next as a Tyreek is used. After seeing Hill sign a $120 million dollar contract Seven would do well to stay out of the backfield, and work on becoming the same type of weapon Hill is. Seven should work on catching the ball and getting open. He has the other skills already.

The mistake with DAT was letting him become the everyday RB his senior year. If he had worked harder at becoming a WR he may have had a career more like what we see with Tyreek. 

Little guys who are quick are an incredible weapon. The jet sweep, quick screen, but he needs to stay out of the backfield. I just hope the staff didn't sell him on being a RB like DAT was promised. I have a feeling this staff knows exactly how to use Seven. The reason he was transferring is he knew the previous staff didn't.

Yeah I agree that it's a very fine line. I'd like to see McGee get SOME touches at RB, but nothing too extreme. Just a wrinkle here and there.

On 6/1/2022 at 9:23 AM, Just Ducky said:

I think we pretty much all agree with you Josh. This element is a huge advantage in college football. I think our new staff realizes his talent and will make sure Seven gets his chances to display that ability.

Best thing that could of happened for Seven was when MC walked out the door, thank god. You can’t coach speed and quickness and he seems to have both. Must of been frustrating to have talent only to use it keeping the bench warm. 

Yes this new offensive staff suits him much better!

On 6/1/2022 at 12:06 PM, WiseKwacker said:

Fun read, Joshua. Always great to look back on some of the flashiest stars of years past. One quibble with your comparisons, though. I see Byron Marshall more as a true running back from Day 1. He lacked the speed and shiftiness of the others you mentioned. What he did have--better than ANY Duck running back in my memory--was an uncanny ability to follow his blockers to decide when to make his cuts. I guess that has to do with field vision. Whatever the case, it was always a pleasure to watch that guy run.

Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Man, I'm about to fire up some Byron Marshall highlights right now. That guy was a blast! I agree he was more of a running back than a receiver.

• Like 1