1Ducker1

If We Join the B1G

How many games do you see us winning per season?

When do you see the Ducks making the playoffs?

When you really think about it it doesnt look so good.

Traveling across multiple time zones every other week makes winning much more difficult.  We didn't make the playoffs very often as it was, in the B1G it will be less.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think the biggest problem here is that there is no long term vision for what's best for the sport, teams, players or even fans. Everybody has been put into a chaotic frenzy scrambling to figure out the best options for themselves with no real understanding how any of this will effect themselves or everybody else in the long term. It's like a panicked crowd trying to escape a burning building at night during a major earthquake.

If it were possible to slow down and think things through and get outside of the box, there could be a possible solution. Maybe something along the lines of the B12, Pac and Mountain West all realigning themselves into a couple 16-18 team conferences. The teams that want to keep up with the BIG and SEC join one, and the ones that don't form the other.

If you took the best athletic schools and combined them, you could get something like UO, fuskies, Stanford, Utah, CU, UA, ASU, SD St, Boise St, Fresno St, UNLV, Ok St, Baylor, TTU, Kansas, Houston, Cincy. A new conference along those lines would still have many top 20 basketball and football schools and could remain competitive in the new super conference era.

The rest could form their own conference which could still produce a couple top 20 ish teams every year without having to go all in on extreme sports spending and breaking the bank. It's just an out of the box thought.

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 8:31 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I think the biggest problem here is that there is no long term vision for what's best for the sport, teams, players or even fans. Everybody has been put into a chaotic frenzy scrambling to figure out the best options for themselves with no real understanding how any of this will effect themselves or everybody else in the long term. It's like a panicked crowd trying to escape a burning building at night during a major earthquake.

If it were possible to slow down and think things through and get outside of the box, there could be a possible solution. Maybe something along the lines of the B12, Pac and Mountain West all realigning themselves into a couple 16-18 team conferences. The teams that want to keep up with the BIG and SEC join one, and the ones that don't form the other.

If you took the best athletic schools and combined them, you could get something like UO, fuskies, Stanford, Utah, CU, UA, ASU, SD St, Boise St, Fresno St, UNLV, Ok St, Baylor, TTU, Kansas, Houston, Cincy. A new conference along those lines would still have many top 20 basketball and football schools and could remain competitive in the new super conference era.

The rest could form their own conference which could still produce a couple top 20 ish teams every year without having to go all in on extreme sports spending and breaking the bank. It's just an out of the box thought.

you and I basically have the same mindset.

If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you  . . . from ‘If’ by Rudyard Kipling

Right now it’s hard to tell if any action we would take would be headed in the right direction, or - if like Icarus  - headed into the sun.

Sometimes patience is the key.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 8:31 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Nailed it.

I am going to approach this by stating first the criteria or principles according to which the conference restructuring ought to be done.

Criteria:

1.       To enable the U of O to be competitive nationally, to maintain and if possible, elevate the programs’ competitiveness.

2.       To maintain traditional rivalries and partnerships, especially with the northwest and Bay Area universities.

3.       To treat the student-athletes and fans of all collegiate sports with respect, not burdening them with a travel schedule appropriate only for professional athletes.

Alternatives:

1.       Enter the former Big 10, possibly forming a Western pod with former PCC schools.

2.       Some sort of merger with the former and soon to become Big 12.

3.       Expand the former Pac 12 to return to 12 teams, possibly with SDSU and Boise State.

Discussion:

1. I view the Big 10 as morally discredited, too distant, and probably not favorable to our competitiveness. If most of the games are within our pod, this may not be as bad as I feared initially. It certainly means throwing Cal, WSU, and Beavers under the bus.

2. The current membership of the Pac 12 is ten, and the membership of the Big 12 is to return to 12 with the addition of the new members. This would be cumbersome if all 22 are admitted to the league. In a game of musical chairs, someone is not going to get a seat, possibly the same trio I mentioned above. Moreover, traveling to Morgantown and Orlando violates the third criterion. This might be acceptable as a “hostile takeover” in which we can dictate the terms. This would mean creaming off the most attractive programs from the Big 12 and casting the others adrift. I don’t know if we have that kind of bargaining leverage, and I do not feel great about it, although UCF does not belong in the league traditionally or geographically.

3. Meets the second and third criteria, possibly not the first. The implicit standard might be that Oregon has to run the table in what would be deemed the weakest conference to be considered for a four-team playoff.

I am still cogitating. This is presented simply for the purposes of discussion.

• Great post! 2

I believe you stated the situation most succinctly. I don't believe I could add or subtract to your points. It's a choice of bad or worse. Like most of the choices I've had to make in my life.

• Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/4/2022 at 11:14 AM, Triphibius said:

2. The current membership of the Pac 12 is ten, and the membership of the Big 12 is to return to 12 with the addition of the new members. This would be cumbersome if all 22 are admitted to the league. In a game of musical chairs, someone is not going to get a seat, possibly the same trio I mentioned above. Moreover, traveling to Morgantown and Orlando violates the third criterion. This might be acceptable as a “hostile takeover” in which we can dictate the terms. This would mean creaming off the most attractive programs from the Big 12 and casting the others adrift. I don’t know if we have that kind of bargaining leverage, and I do not feel great about it, although UCF does not belong in the league traditionally or geographically.

Another option is to merge or form an alliance with the Big-12 or ACC, preserve the Pac-10 + any expansion schools as the Western division, and play the Central or Eastern division in the combined conference championship game.  This would minimize travel, as most or all of our conference games would be in the Western U.S.

Edited by OregonDucks
expand
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you both for your responses. 

I am not as informed about the financial issues as others on this site, so bear with me. I assume that from the TV networks perspective, the point is to get as many eyeballs staring at the screen on Saturday afternoon as possible. With that in mind, what incentive would people in Houston have to tune into a WSU versus OSU game? Would there not have to be some inter-divisional play to interest folks in the Big 12 Land  in the games involving west coast teams? 

The best system for me is one in which you play everyone in your division and a few teams from the other division, as we have done recently in the Pac 12. 

Again, that would be unwieldy if some of the current 22 teams were not removed. 

Happy Fourth to all.