McDuck

A Crazy Thought

Fight fire with fire. Move to completely revamp the college football landscape by forming a new Division 1-A. Accept the fact that only 10-12 institutions currently have a realistic shot at the Natty and let them go play with themselves. Raid the B1G and the SEC, take Northwestern, take Nebraska, Ole Miss, Missouri, Minnesota, etc. and set up leagues based on geography. Put them in a position to actually contend for a title.

Carving off the “also-ran” schools from the B1G and the SEC will basically destroy their media rights value while enhancing the D-1A members income. Division 1-A can set their own rules governing pay to play and transfers, all the ills we foresee leading to the demise of college football.

Simple rough format, ten leagues with ten members each. 100 of the 125 D-1 schools. You still have a possible Clemson-Oregon championship match up, maybe a Baylor-Florida State. A much wider range than the current Alabama vs ?.

Some will decry that it isn't football at the highest level. So what? The excitement of college football is the 'any given Saturday' aspect. Going back to a level playing field would be a welcome relief. As a wise poster stated in another thread bring back history and tradition.

• Go Ducks! 2

That is ambitious. The challenges and obstacles are enormous. I like it!

That would certainly change recruiting given that any team would have a chance.

I like it.

Edited by GODUCKS15

I like the out of box thinking.

However. I’m sure that Phil Knight and the powers that be want to compete for national championships with all that they have invested in Oregon over the past few decades.  This would be essentially throwing in the towel.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/4/2022 at 9:27 AM, OregonDucks said:

I like the out of box thinking.

However. I’m sure that Phil Knight and the powers that be want to compete for national championships with all that they have invested in Oregon over the past few decades.  This would be essentially throwing in the towel.  

Division 1-A would still have a championship and all the fanfare that entails.  

Maybe this is a bad example but this kind of move might even make Boise State relevant. 😀

McDuck, i like that type of thinking. Another awesome ponder point. Kerp them coming.

Some schools would be in favor if the annual payday was larger. However, leaving the BIG or SEC annual $100 Million pay outs would be financial suicide for any school.

The new model may or may not reach that magnitude.

IMHO what you propose may be the end result, any way. Consider this a chess match being played by the SEC and BIG. SEC Move (Texas- Oklahoma). BIG Counter move (usc-ucla) SEC Counter move maybe (Clemson FSU) BIG counter move maybe ( ND, Oregon-butt sniffers)

These moves keep forcing other conferences to scramble. Potentially weakening other conferences. Is the SEC-BIG checkmate move shutting everyone else out of the CFP-NY6 games?

If that happens then we will see another division level 

Since the SEC-BIG expansion moves were moves that blindsided BIG 12 and PAC 12 members, do any of you think that the SEC-BIG collective havent met in discussed the end game? Really........

They don't just want more money they may want it all.