Charles Fischer

Oregon vs. Georgia Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game Officially Sold Out!

Quite the home field advantage for the Bulldogs.

Oregon-Georgia Game.jpg

Oregon vs. Georgia Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game Officially Sold Out

A top-10 matchup, the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game’s 14th sellout since 2008 will represent

one of the hottest tickets in the game’s history.

ATLANTA (July 20, 2022) – The much-anticipated matchup between Oregon and defending national champion Georgia will take place in a packed Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Officials today announced the game has sold out a month and a half before the Ducks and Bulldogs meet Sept. 3 in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game.

The game will feature two projected top-10 teams in (9) Oregon and (3) Georgia and will be the highest-ranked neutral-site game of the opening weekend.

With this year’s sell out, the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game has now sold out 14 of 18 games since its creation in 2008. This year’s contest also represents one of the most in demand tickets in the game’s history.

“This has already proven to be one of the toughest tickets we’ve ever seen for the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game,” said Gary Stokan, Peach Bowl, Inc. CEO and president. “You have the defending National Champions squaring off with arguably the most successful Pac-12 team in the CFP era. With two passionate fan bases and the best neutral-site matchup on opening weekend, it’s no surprise we’ve seen such a strong demand for tickets.”

The Oregon vs. Georgia Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game will kick off at 3:30 p.m. ET, Saturday, Sept. 3 and will be nationally telecast on ABC. This year’s matchup marks only the second meeting between the teams, and the first in 45 years when the Bulldogs claimed a 27-16 victory at Sanford Stadium in 1977.

“The Chick-fil-A Kickoff game will provide another great opportunity for Georgia to play on a national stage against a top-quality opponent in what has become known as the Capital of College Football –Atlanta,” said Georgia head coach Kirby Smart. “The game being sold out is certainly no surprise and I know our team and our fans are excited about playing in Mercedes-Benz Stadium.  We’ve only played Oregon once in our history so it will be an outstanding opportunity for both teams.”

“This is going to be a tremendous matchup between two of college football’s premiere programs,” said Oregon head coach Dan Lanning. “The game being sold out already speaks to the power of these two brands and the national buzz around this matchup, and we look forward to seeing Duck fans out in full force in Atlanta. Our offseason has been all about focusing on our DNA traits as a team and coming together as one unit, and our student-athletes are working incredibly hard to create a really solid foundation for the season. We can’t wait for the opportunity to put that hard work on display against an elite opponent on Sept. 3.”

Georgia is making its third appearance in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game after most recently defeating UNC 33-24 in Kirby Smart’s first game as a head coach in 2016. Meanwhile, Oregon will appear in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game for the first time in the program’s history. This year’s matchup is only the second meeting between Pac-12 and SEC teams in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game, with the SEC claiming the lone victory to begin the 2018 season.

As the nation’s longest-running neutral-site season opener, the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game averages 67,064 fans – higher than the attendance of 43 bowl games last year – and has an average payout of $5.96 million which is higher than 30 bowl games from the 2021-22 Bowl Season. The Chick-fil-A Kickoff Games also have a strong television viewership year-after-year, with more than 87.5 million viewers tuning in since 2008.

The teams will battle for The Old Leather Helmet Trophy, one of college football’s newest rivalry-style icons. Traditionally, winners of The Old Leather Helmet don the helmet on the field after the game, starting with the head coach and then rotating from player to player as the team celebrates its victory.

Secondary Market Tickets Through Ticketmaster

Fans interested in locating tickets in the secondary ticket market can visit the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game’s official ticket exchange on Ticketmaster.  It is common for secondary market prices to exceed face value.  Visit www.cfakickoffgame.com/resale to view tickets for resale on the exchange.

Mr. FishDuck

I would have thought it would be sold out the day tickets went on sale.

• Thumbs Up 2

Looks like the tickets were bought up by the major resale vendors or other folks looking to make money by reselling them at inflated prices.

I know StubHub/Ticketmaster etc have thousands individuals that buy the max tickets allowed to certain events, so they can resell them.  Sucks, if you are a true fan.

I know my buddy who is into concerts, one of his groups that always sell out has a random draw.  He gets me and other friends to put in a request and hopes one of us get tickets.

Those who enjoy trying to diminish the value of Oregon as a national brand have a hard time with realities like this game. The facts speak for themselves. People are in to Oregon football. When the Ducks play big programs, there is big interest.

Go Ducks!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

New facts added since I returned to the office.  Now, back to work!

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

They were $300/ticket for upper level a few months ago on Stub Hub, Vivid, etc. That’s over $1K before hotel, food and gas. I’m 5 hours from ATL, but that’s a little rich for an away game.