Haywarduck

Saban's sales pitch

Mario has to be one of the best, but Saban is pretty good. I agree iron on iron is the way to get better, and fortunately Oregon is getting some pretty good talent to line up against, much like bama.

Cristobal has been selling competition at Oregon as well. 

One of the things that Oregon is able to sell recruits is to give them the opportunity to be part of something special to bring tre first national championship home for Oregon. 

Most of Saban's pitch was completely expected... Basically come to Bama and get a chance to play for a national championship and a better chance to play at the next level. That is a really really tough pitch to beat. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm an ol' salesman, and yes that pitch is good, not just because of the content, but because of the tactics used.  He is "inoculating" the recruit against the pitches used against Alabama, and when the recruit hears it later from Oregon/Auburn/LSU/etc.--he's thinking of what Saban said.

It's a good pitch, but it can be countered, and that is more time than I have right now.  (And I'm sure MC is doing it already anyway)

Oregon has a great product to sell, but....  (you know the rest of what I'm going to say)

Cristobal_Westside Gazette.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

A few years ago I just dismissed Saban. Of course he wins, and gets all the great players. But the last couple of years I did a 180; I now respect what Saban has done and how he keeps on going. 

giphy.gif

When you are the highest-paid state employee by a long shot (in any state pretty much) you should be expected to deliver good results.

Saban delivers good results!

Hopefully we will see some of that rub off in Oregon too.

21 minutes ago, FishIceCream said:

When you are the highest-paid state employee by a long shot (in any state pretty much) you should be expected to deliver good results.

I really like your words here FishiceCream. Because it shows where the Pac-12 presidents went wrong with Larry Scott. They made him the highest-paid but did not expect/demand him to deliver good results. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, BigDucksFan said:

I really like your words here FishiceCream. Because it shows where the Pac-12 presidents went wrong with Larry Scott. They made him the highest-paid but did not expect/demand him to deliver good results. 

I have been working in the university of California system for years, and so my salary is publicly available online, just like every other state employee.

Looking at how much I've made and then looking at the football and basketball coaches just makes you want to cry or laugh! And - good point - I could add Scott to that list.