Charles Fischer

Lanning Says Oregon 'Can Stand Alone' Against Negative Conference Recruiting

It is not just what he says, but how he says it...

11216242.jpg
247SPORTS.COM

Lanning says Oregon 'can stand alone' against negative conference realignment recruiting

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Our coach has a way of saying things that come out so naturally, makes you want to believe him!

• Thumbs Up 4

Hes going to kick some serious Butt. I can feel it!!

• Thumbs Up 2

One thing Lanning has a ton of is confidence in himself and his abilities. He grabbed a fist full and is going after the best in the country. 

If the B1G wants Oregon they will make it known by the end of Oct. Gives Ducks plenty of time to flip some guys before the early signing period. 

B1G isn't going to let uncertainty damage Oregons recruiting or brand. The stronger Oregon is the stronger B1G will be.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wonder if Richard Young, who was trending towards Oregon, got cold feet due to the conference issues. He may well be the second 4/5 star recruit we’ve lost that we might have gained just a few weeks ago. I’m starting to have very bad feelings about this year’s class. 

It certainly will be a storyline people will be watching.

I'd say maybe a bit too soon to press the panic button? A five star South Florida kid picking Alabama, about a 10 hour car ride from home (versus a 3,200 mile flight), shouldn't really be that surprising. I guess there was some buzz about a possible Duck surprise with Young, but he had already visited Alabama twice in 2022, including taking in their "A Day" game, and Young's high school (James Chaney) apparently even hosted Saben during a visit to Florida in January. At different points, I believe their was some momentum with Young to Ohio State then Georgia, much like Oregon.

As for Banuelos, certain a guy who the staff apparently was high on, so that is all good (and I'm certainly not here at all to bang on the kid); but, he currently is #537 nationally on the 247 composite and #7 in the state of Washington. While certainly a fine prospect, generally I would say hits or misses on kids rated between 500 and 1000 nationally aren't seen as "sky is falling" moments. Last year the Ducks got Conerly (#16 nationally) and Luli (#191 nationally) for comparison (even read some buzz out in computer land the big bonus with landing versus losing Banuelos is his close relationship to 2024 five star Seattle OL prospect Isendre Ahfua. Interesting.).

Now, if Jurrion Dickey ever appears to be less than solid, I could understand if some are reaching for that panic button. One would hope a strong Duck season on the field goes a long way to stabilize the 2023 class (and a springboard for 2024), despite this conference mess/madness.

Edited by AnotherOD