Pennsylvania Duck

Speed Training Pivotal at Tight End this Offseason

10968626.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Terrance Ferguson (Photo: Craig Strobeck, 247Sports)

Oregon's tight ends averaged about eight yards per reception a season ago. It acts as the lowest total for the position group since Chip Kelly took over in 2009.

Over the final 10 games of the season, the group didn't even score a touchdown. 

The new offense wants to utilize the position more in the passing game. That was brought up by all three tight ends we spoke with on Wednesday.

"The tight end as a whole is more of a threat downfield," Matavao said. "We want to get mismatches and outrun some linebackers. So we'll be involved in the passing game a lot more".

Oregon players as a whole raved about the addition of speed coach Jawarski Beckum. Matavao says he's had to relearn how to run at full speed and in doing so realizes certain important muscle groups had been left essentially dormant before. "You can see it too. I can feel myself running so much faster," he said.

The group added its fastest member this offseason. Terrell Tilmon has moved over from outside linebacker, and according to Dan Lanning is the fastest of the group. Terrance Ferguson would like an opportunity to contest that point though. "We'll have to have a real race to see," Ferguson said lightheadedly. "He might have me by a little bit."

Skopil

Edited by Pennsylvania Duck
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sad to think our TE's never really worked on speed, but it makes sense. I suppose our RB's never worked on finding the open holes too. It would seem our WR's never really worried about catching a pass more than 15 yds. downfield either. Should be fun to watch a real offense again!

• Thumbs Up 5

This is a great write-up about our whole strength and conditioning coaches.  Speed is important.  What I like is no cookie cutter program.

This whole team of coaches builds individual strength and speed workouts for each player based upon the assessments  for each individual.   Each coach specializes in a particular group and their individuals in that group, zeroing in on their particular needs. 

11020089.jpg
247SPORTS.COM

Strength and conditioning coach Wilson Love outlines his role in getting the Ducks ready

• Great post! 1

Let's see strong, tall, and fast. A match up nightmare. Love me some TE domination.

On 8/4/2022 at 5:22 AM, Haywarduck said:

I suppose our RB's never worked on finding the open holes too. 

I thought Dye was pretty special in how he let his blocks develop and he would hit the hole that was open. Dye excelled at that!

It was Verdell that seemed to run full bore into the back of his linemen or the defense RIGHT where the play was supposed to have a hole, he didn't use his vision and patience and see there was a hole open one gap from where it was supposed to be. 

Am I wrong in my impressions? 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/4/2022 at 5:22 AM, Haywarduck said:

Sad to think our TE's never really worked on speed, but it makes sense. 

I thought Feld had a clause in his contract there would be no speed training because it made his guys fill out their sleeves less? lol

• Haha 2

Is speed training new to the Ducks? Have we not had this in the past? It seems such an integral part of the football program.

On 8/4/2022 at 7:50 AM, DazeNconfused said:

because it made his guys fill out their sleeves less? lol

It also made a mess of your ‘stash