David Marsh

UW Has Hired A New DC

So UW has hired a new DC and Jimmy Lake has opted for an internal hire. This would also appear to come with some significant moving of personnel around.  (Read right here)

This actually looks great for Oregon as I seriously doubt this staff reshuffle is going to be an upgrade for Washington.

Hiring from within can be a good thing... but this looks more like a lack of confidence on Lake's part and an unwillingness to let anyone touch his defense. We will see if that holds true next year but this on the whole smells like a downgrade for Washington... and I LOVE THIS HIRE!

Beginning of Scoring Play_Pac-12 Video.jpg

11 minutes ago, David Marsh said:

So UW has hired a new DC and Jimmy Lake has opted for an internal hire. This would also appear to come with some significant moving of personnel around.  (Read right here)

This actually looks great for Oregon as I seriously doubt this staff reshuffle is going to be an upgrade for Washington.

Hiring from within can be a good thing... but this looks more like a lack of confidence on Lake's part and an unwillingness to let anyone touch his defense. We will see if that holds true next year but this on the whole smells like a downgrade for Washington... and I LOVE THIS HIRE!

Beginning of Scoring Play_Pac-12 Video.jpg

Totally agree 100%

Actually, Gregory is pretty knowledgeable, but your observation about the lack of sparkling alternatives out there interested in the position is telling.  We had similar options internally to have done the same thing at Oregon, but got a better result.  

Perhaps Lake might hover over the defense the way you-know-who does on offense at Oregon?

giphy.gif

Who knows?  It will be fun to watch...

Mr. FishDuck

Promoting from within isn't inherently a problem. It allows for a team to preserve the scheme and relationships and development of players to fit that scheme. It can be a very good thing.

However, what I find interesting is that with the promotion of one coach to DC they moved an analyst into a position coach role. Again, not inherently a problem... BUT Washington is inviting stagnation into the program. New blood brings new ideas and new ways of doing things. Filling all these openings from within means that only a defensive analysis position would bring an outside hire.. and if it doesn't someone lower down the ranks becomes an outside hire.

Overall... Washington isn't gaining anything new in terms of defensive scheme and innovations and isn't gaining anything new on the recruiting front. All good things for Oregon.

As for Oregon... I do expect Cristobal to hire a safeties coach who is an ace recruiter to balance out the coaching staff as he brought in a strong X's and O's guy as DC.

This is interesting. Once again, I am happy to have our guys instead of their guys.

I am sure that Washington and their fans will spin the hire as positive, that Gregory was the best coach available, and after seeing coach after coach after coach getting hired at new teams, they could be right about him being the best available.

1 hour ago, David Marsh said:

BUT Washington is inviting stagnation into the program. New blood brings new ideas and new ways of doing things.

I especially like this point, as new ideas are foreign to Washington. 

Jimmy Lake is a less accomplished Mark Helfrich. 

Did promoting the LB coach to replace a great DC work for you, Mark Helfrich? 

D77BA1F8-2AA3-48FE-9D0F-5A8485AD8B7A.gif

23 minutes ago, RatherBe said:

Did promoting the LB coach to replace a great DC work for you, Mark Helfrich? 

Great question!

See the source image

The Don Pellum example is an interesting one... It didn't work out well in the end for Oregon but the hire itself wasn't really a problem. 

The Pellum hire was a promotion from within which really was the Oregon way at the time... Promoting from within was what Oregon did and it's long tenured staff had a lot to show for the success of that method.

The Pellum hire didn't work out but the idea was to maintain the Alioti style defense that was working for Oregon. It is also worth mentioning that the 2014 Pellum defense did get Oregon to the national championship game with only one loss. It was a bend but don't break system that was really good at taking the ball away but it had some major flaws. 

The wheels came off in 2015 and as much as anything else it coincided with a depleted roster on defense that only got worse the following year. At that point the coaching really wasn't developing the limited talent they had. 

Promoting from within may or may not work for washington but the dependence of promoting from within is signalling some potentially deep problems. And as a Duck I'm happy to watch the Huskies struggle. 

Okay, the Husky fans are not thrilled with the promotion of Gregory, it's more like the team will make the best of it. My favorite post starts,  "This is surprising to me...and ultimately disappointing"
From UW Dawg Pound 

34 minutes ago, 30Duck said:

Okay, the Husky fans are not thrilled with the promotion of Gregory

Oh 30Duck.....you found some GOLD there!  My favorite is..."In the generating fan excitement department, this is about as big of a flop imaginable."

Way to go Huskies!
giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

giphy.gif