Pennsylvania Duck

Report: Top College Football Recruit Signs with Mega Agency

Malachi Nelson, USC quarterback commit, has recently started looking at other colleges. In a just posted FishDuck Feed article, he has signed on with Klutch Sports, the agency run by LeBron James' agent, Rich Paul, according to a report from ESPN.

I think this is the start of another trend for college athletes to gain big NIL deals. When one does it, others will follow. To me, this is another thing NOT to like about college sports. 

How does this make you feel? Are you angry this is taking place or are you ok with it?

Click on URL link to see article to read article. (Sorry, hyperlink wouldn't work)

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/article264645709.html

Good gosh...an agent to negotiate NIL deals?  Yikes.

Mr. FishDuck

Yep, let college football devolve into two separate leagues: Semi-pro and Traditional.  I'll hope Oregon stays in the Traditional League so I can stay interested...

I was just thinking, isn't there a rule that once a college athlete hires an agent, they are no longer able to play college ball?...At that point they are considered pro? 

• Oh no! 1

I dug this up from last year, although it's from the NFLPA side of things...

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2022 at 3:48 PM, Wrathis said:

These deals would be separate from NFL contracts

What is needed is for the NCAA to step up and get some rules or guidance in place quickly! Though "quickly" isn't really in their vocabulary, is it?

I believe that I read when NIL first came out that a student-athlete could hire an agent.  Makes sense. How is a student going to go out and find a job between school and sport?

An agent, among other things, is a salesman. He goes out and finds his client business, just like a radio station has salesmen looking for businesses to advertise on their station. A local agent can knock on doors and push their clients as representatives of the business. 

Having a national agent seems less productive of an idea unless the student is nationally known. For example, last year's underclassman Heisman winner can promote almost anything nationally. (So can his mom... "Did you see my boy win the Heisman? That's because I fed him Campbell's Soup.")

• Thumbs Up 1

This topic fuels the need for a vomit emoji

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2022 at 12:39 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

I was just thinking, isn't there a rule that once a college athlete hires an agent, they are no longer able to play college ball?...At that point they are considered pro? 

I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a rule!

• Mic drop 1

On 8/18/2022 at 3:48 PM, Wrathis said:

I dug this up from last year, although it's from the NFLPA side of things...

Thanks, Wrathis. That is what I was thinking of and you're right, the rule only refers to an athlete signing an agent for NFL contracts. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/18/2022 at 3:09 PM, AllOregon said:

This topic fuels the need for a vomit emoji

We got it!  🤮

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck