FishDuck Article

Watch For Lanning’s Delayed Inside Linebacker Blitz!

My friends, there will be so much to watch for and learn this fall, that I have changed my writing schedule in order to follow and learn about the Dan Lanning Defense and Blitzes. Coach Boles and I will be doing analysis articles on every Thursday, beginning in the last week of August. My objective in this article is to ...

Noah-Sewell-and-Keith-Brown_Tom-Corno-30
FISHDUCK.COM

My friends, there will be so much to watch for and learn this fall, that I have changed my writing schedule in order to follow and learn about the...
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

That first blitz was well coached and timed. Pre-snap Adrian Jackson starts to move to his right and at the snap when DJ fires off the edge at the snap of the ball, Jackson loops around him.  That pulls the running back out to help the tackle chip-block on Jackson.

Then LaDuke moves right (twists) and goes through the center guard gap untouched, and the RB isn't there to pick him up. 

If this was the starting LB unit Flowe who is faster than LaDuke would be on the delay and to the QB even quicker. 

Both Flowe and Sewell are aggressive big hitters who can blow up plays on their own, freeing the up with scheme is icing on the cake. 

Thanks for the article, Charles! I tend watch the LBs pre-snap to see if we are showing base, or up in the line in gaps showing blitz- and how deep the safety is. Are we stacking the box, are we showing blitz? Then at the snap I tend to watch what our LBs do- if they were in the gaps on the line did they drop into coverage? 

Now if I see a LB right before the snap start to move around the end, it's going to key me to this delayed blitz might be on. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Another thing that I think we need to watch this year is the change from how D-Rut ran lots of his blitzes. 

It seemed like most of the time D-Rut put the LBs on the line in the gaps pre-snap and brought them when he wanted to pressure the QB. D-Rut's scheme seemed bland- he was showing what he was doing. 

He didn't stack the LBs on the line and drop them much, if he wasn't bringing pressure, he stayed base mostly. It was like a Mario influenced scheme... "we are good and will just stay base, react and play tough D- we are tough"... DRut didn't create confusion or hide what he was doing with his front seven well. 

I think Lanning is going to really use lots more scheme to confuse the offensive line and QB. It appears Lanning has some sneaky blitzes he runs, it will be interesting to see if he stacks the LBs in the gaps more and then drops them at the snap. 

I love a defensive scheme that plays chess every snap- we didn't have that last year. 

So, your article today and tomorrow shows us some things to key on pre-snap and at the snap that we will see. But you give us little bites off good info we can absorb and process without a mental overload. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 3

Today's blitz is ideal for Justin Flowe, although Jackson LaDuke is pretty fast and executed it quite well.  Tomorrow's blitz featured is not new, but the way it is executed is not something I've seen at Oregon before.  And you'll notice that we only saw these blitzes for a few plays, and I believe (based upon watching Georgia games) that we will see quite a bit more through the season!

Starting yesterday...you will have analysis articles every Thursday for the next six months and Coach Boles and I will be alternating.  Let's learn some more football!

• Salute 1

Mr. FishDuck

That's great video you just posted Charles and makes me think even less of D-Ruts blitz scheme last year. 

Lanning has the dudes, and he is going to turn them lose this year. Our defense is going to be much more exciting! They players are going to have fun.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

On 8/19/2022 at 11:59 AM, DazeNconfused said:

That's great video you just posted Charles and makes me think even less of D-Ruts blitz scheme last year. 

To think that I made it a decade ago....Yikes!

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/19/2022 at 3:06 PM, Charles Fischer said:

To think that I made it a decade ago....Yikes!

Very cool video.  A Lanning influenced defense will pay dividends with the pressure.  It is very much about disguising where the pressure is coming from and forcing the blockers to make quick reads on the fly in regards to their blocking responsibility on a given play.  This leads to confusion and blocking assignments being missed.  

It’s also effective because even if the defense is sending just 4 to pressure, the offense can never be sure whose dropping and whose coming.  Very cool.  

One thing Lanning did at GA to add even more confusion was have his down linemen perform very quick pre-snap shifts that often happened right before the snap.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see this worked in at times.  

All of the options that a defense such as this affords you can make it much harder and much more stressful on an O-line.  

Edited by SoGaDawg
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I do feel like the Ducks in the spring game we're getting enough push at the line of scrimmage that on a pass play the runningback would lock up and engage with a block early. 

The blocking runningback is usually a safety net of a blocker and typically is there to be the last defense for the quarterback. 

But if the runningback is focused on defending one angle early in the snap that last line of defense isn't there somewhere else and the delayed blitz can easily exploit that every time.

On 8/19/2022 at 4:38 PM, David Marsh said:

I do feel like the Ducks in the spring game we're getting enough push at the line of scrimmage that on a pass play the runningback would lock up and engage with a block early. 

The blocking runningback is usually a safety net of a blocker and typically is there to be the last defense for the quarterback. 

But if the runningback is focused on defending one angle early in the snap that last line of defense isn't there somewhere else and the delayed blitz can easily exploit that every time.

Delayed blitz with the linebacker and safety talent on this team. Looking to see this defense destroy Pac opponents this year.

Hold Dawgs to 23 or less. Ducks have a chance. If GA defense is anything like last year, Ducks gettin 23+ is a huge ask.

I have a feeling Oregon's D just might be better than GA's O. I am hoping anyways. 🤞🤞🤞

Fascinating, Charles. Great eye, as always. I expect to see Oregon's front seven tearing up a lot of backfields this season. Fingers crossed they stay healthy. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2022 at 5:13 PM, Log Haulin said:

Delayed blitz with the linebacker and safety talent on this team. Looking to see this defense destroy Pac opponents this year.

Hold Dawgs to 23 or less. Ducks have a chance. If GA defense is anything like last year, Ducks gettin 23+ is a huge ask.

I have a feeling Oregon's D just might be better than GA's O. I am hoping anyways. 🤞🤞🤞

First game of the year and Georgia is breaking in some new starters, a lot of them. Now it would be naive to believe these new starters are wide eyed freshman because they aren't, most of backups who have seen some considerable action.

But Bama was able to burn Georgia pretty bad in the SEC championship game by going over their heads. 

If Oregon can get over the top of the Georgia defense, we are in for a treat. 

• Thumbs Up 1