Charles Fischer

Are You a Game of Thrones and Now, 'House of Dragons' Fan?

The intertwining families, names and histories is hard to keep up with, so for those who want to know some background about the characters in the new series starting tonight, "House of Dragons" set 200 years before "Game of Thrones," the video below is quite helpful.  

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

No.  Thought it was a bore.  Couldn’t understand a thing the little blond girl said.

I thought I wasn’t going to like it but actually enjoyed it. I’ll definitely watch the next episode. For those struggling to understand the young women with their high pitched voices, all I can say is thank goodness for closed captioning and high quality hearing aids. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it has a chance to be interesting.  I read the books and they would sometimes bring in a little history of the Targaryen family.

FYI, the TV show completely diverges from the books about season 5/6.  

On 8/22/2022 at 7:38 AM, Tandaian said:

FYI, the TV show completely diverges from the books about season 5/6.  

In the video above--it is explained that the original series followed the books until they ran out of books, and had to wing it...hence the decline.  However this series has a finished book and they intend to follow it closely.  I thought the video was quite handy to watch prior to watching last night's episode, and it lays the base for interesting plot directions in the future.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Understood about Game of Thrones not being complete, but writers missed multiple huge story lines that are in the books.  Sansa and Daenerys' story line is way different than what the TV show used.  I have a feeling, when the books are finally done, Daenery's story line isn't going to be her going mad.  I feel like the writers wrote themselves into a corner they couldn't get out of with Daenerys.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/22/2022 at 8:25 AM, Tandaian said:

Understood about Game of Thrones not being complete, but writers missed multiple huge story lines that are in the books.  Sansa and Daenerys' story line is way different than what the TV show used.  I have a feeling, when the books are finally done, Daenery's story line isn't going to be her going mad.  I feel like the writers wrote themselves into a corner they couldn't get out of with Daenerys.

I watched "Game of Thrones" when it debuted years ago. After about season 2 aired, I retired and devoured the books as one of my first "tasks" as a retiree. The books, in my view, were better than the TV series as is often the case.

I was anxious for Martin to write the final two books in the series after reading the five he's written. Waiting...waiting...waiting. Word was he was not likely to ever complete the book series once the TV writers used his outlines to complete the story. Now, I read that he may in fact be returning to the task of completing the book series. I guess I'll believe it when I have a copy of Book 6 in my hands.

As to the new 'House of the Dragon" series, I also had trouble hearing much of the dialogue. I didn't have captioning on, though, as I usually do for most things I watch. I'll have to watch it again with captions on--it's a great help for my well-worn ears.

Gotta go. My family's fantasy football draft is tonight, and I gotta lot of prep work to do. My nephew's won the league the past two years. Gonna kick his a$$ this year...maybe.

• Thumbs Up 1

A game of football and house of the Ducks fan personally!

Unknown.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah maybe in the dark days of February, not coming into football season!

I liked GoT until season 8.  That turned everything into a burning bag left on someone's porch, what a terrible way to end an otherwise excellent series.

I haven't watched House of Dragons yet, plan on checking out the first episode tonight.