AnotherOD

Unnecessarily Detailed Look at Both Rosters

**For the hard core types**

A detailed look at the talent ratings for the upcoming Oregon/Georgia game, plus some notes.

I mostly watch Pac-12 and only casually watch anything else (even the playoffs unless a Pac-12 team happens to find its way in), so despite the championship I wasn't that up on Georgia heading into 2022.

The list below includes 24 players each team, the 22 projected starters for each team plus a 5th DB plus the top 4th WR option (for Oregon a slot and Georgia a second TE).

Below a short discussion about the level of playing some of the newer Georgia starters from 2021 (no real discussion is made similarly for the Oregon side as this is an Oregon site and we most likely are more familiar with how much our guys have played).

I took projected starters off two decent sites I found (there may be some debates at some spots like Smael Mondon and Xavier Truss, and Oregon with Hill, Stevens, and Swinson, but I took a shot best I could figure).

The listing is the 247 Composite National Ranking then national position ranking (which is usually the position they play now but may look a bit funny if the ranking position was ATH or Center or pro style QB or something similar).

OREGON 5 STARS

J. Flowe - LB: #6 (#1)

N. Sewell - LB: #13 (#2)

D. Manning - CB: #31 (#4)

B. Nix - QB: #33 (#1)

GEORGIA 5 STARS

N. Smith - LB: #1 (#1)

K. Ringo - CB: #4 (#1)

B. Jones - OL: #11 (#2)

J. Carter - DE: #18 (#4)

D. Washington - TE: #23 (#2)

OREGON HIGH 4 STARS

T. Franklin - WR: #41 (#3)

A. Thornton - WR: #57 (#7)

M. Funa - LB: #68 (#4)

D.J. Johnson - LB: #74 (#6)

B. Addison - S: #98 (#3)

GEORGIA HIGH 4 STARS

T. Rutledge - OL: #38 (#3)

K. Milton - RB: #54 (#7)

S. VanPran - OL: #60 (#1)

B. Bowers - TE: #105 (#3)

R. Beal - LB: #107 (#8)

OREGON REMAINING 4 STARS

S. McGee - WR: #151 (#9)

B. Cardwell - RB: #190 (#12)

C. Hutson - WR: #229 (#41)

T. Ferguson - TE: #231 (#10)

S. Jones - OL: #246 (#10)

K. Ware-Hudson - DE: #259 (#19)

C. Gonzalez - CB: #326 (#31)

GEORGIA REMAINING 4 STARS

T. Marshall - LB: #122 (#7)

K. Jackson - WR: #130 (#23)

T. Ingram-Dawkins - DT: #148 (#148)

J. Dumas-Johnson - LB: #195 (#22)

W. Poole - S: #195 (#28)

W. McClendon - OL: #227 (#20)

K. Lassiter - CB: #248 (#18)

W. Ericson - OL: #263 (#5)

C. Smith - S: #306 (#30)

OREGON 3 STARS

P. Aumavae - DT: #391 (#28)

T. Bridges - S: #421 (#36)

A. Forsyth - OL: #465 (#49)

B. Dorlus - DE: #836 (#56)

GEORGIA 3 STARS

A. Mitchell - WR: #387 (#64)

OREGON UR

R. Walk - OL

GEORGIA UR

L. McConkey - WR: UR (#169)

D. Jackson - S

OREGON JC

M. Aumavae-Laulu - OL: #5 JC (#1)

R. Bass - OL: #21 JC (#1)

B. Williams - S: #14 JC (#2)

GEORGIA JC

T. Walthour - DE: #65 JC (#7)

S. Bennett - QB: #166 JC (#6)

Recruiting giant Georgia obviously wins this category; but, I don't know if the gap is as big as often has been put forth? 

Georgia is usually listed with 3 returning defensive starters: Jalen Carter, Nolan Smith, and Kelee Ringo. It looks like S Christopher Smith started a number of games (34 tackles) and I saw him listed as pre-season 2nd team All-SEC, so I'm not sure why he isn't listed as a 4th returning starter?

LB Dumas-Johnson played in 14 of 15 games and is on the pre-season Butkis watch list (21 tackles). LB Robert Beal had 2 starts and played in 15 games and had 6.5 sacks to go with his 23 tackles. S Dan Jackson had 37 tackles and DE Tramel Walthour played in all 15 games (14 tackles).

The three projected returning WR caught: (McConkey) 31 passes for 447 and 5 TDs, (Mitchell) 29 passes for 426 and 4 TDs, and (Jackson) 16 passes for 194 and 1 TD. 

The top 2 predicted RBs had 58 carries for 328 yards and 3 TDs (McIntosh) and 56 carries for 264 yards and 1 TD (Milton). Similar to Oregon's Cardwell (who finished with 61 carries for 417 yards and 3 TDs).

QB Bennett had a wonderful statistical year, rating out at 176.7, with 29 TDs and only 7 INTs (and only took 14 sacks). Found it a bit interesting AB attempted 103 more passes on the season (287 versus 390), yet total yards were pretty close at 2862 versus 2989.

AB was sacked 9 more times - a total of 23 - and ended up with a rating of 140.1. Georgia #2 TE Darnell Washington is expected to return from injury last year and On-3 has him rated the #6 TE in college football to go with Bowers at #1.

• Great post! 6
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Wow, OD, this is impressive work. Thank you very much.

Starters look like they match up pretty well. Unfortunately, the two deep will play and some 3rd stringers for both teams. This is where Georgia has at least a somewhat greater advantage. Keeping fresh legs in is very important.

On 8/27/2022 at 11:18 PM, Jon Sousa said:

Starters look like they match up pretty well. Unfortunately, the two deep will play and some 3rd stringers for both teams. This is where Georgia has at least a somewhat greater advantage. Keeping fresh legs in is very important.

Interesting to mention that as I didn't have room above but there are a couple ways to look at that.

Again, going off projections, some "key" depth guys for both sides:

GEORGIA

A. Gilbert (5 star TE): #5 (#1)

A. Mims (5 star OL): #8 (#3)

S. Mundon (5 star LB): #35 (#4)

D. Blaylock (4 star WR): #36 (#5)

K. Milton (4 star RB): #54 (#7)

M. Rosemy-J (4 star WR): #55 (#8)

A. Smith (4 star WR): #58 (#9)

N. Green (4 star CB): #72 (#4)

X. Truss (4 star OL): #214 (#19)

Z. Logue (4 star DL): #342 (#25)

OREGON

S. Stevens (4 star S): #137 (#11)

S. Dollars (4 star RB): #143 (#2)

M. Matavao (4 star TE): #158 (#5)

C. Cota (4 star WR): #159 (#29)

J. Powers-J (4 star OL): #194 (#14)

T. Taimani (4 star DT): #208 (#7)

D. Jaramillo (4 star OL): #252 (#14)

J. Bassa (4 star S): #344 (#24)

M. Irving (4 star RB): #348 (#23)

C. Chapman (4 star WR): #354 (#60)

B. Swinson (3 star LB): #509 (#20)

J.Hill (3 star S): #576 (#46)

So, Georgia has a lot of highly rated (top 100 type) young guys not currently listed as starters showing up on their depth chart.

The thing is, most of them haven't played much I can find. I see Rosemy-Jacksaint with 7 catches, Arian Smith with 3 catches, Blaylock with 2 catches, Logue with 11 tackles, Mundon with 10 tackles, Green with 2 tackles (as mentioned Milton with 56 carries). I think Gilbert sat out the season.

Oregon has some guys not rated as high, but guys who have played quite a bit in its group. Taimani started 11 games for UW and had 41 tackles, Irving rushed for 699 yards (and 3 100 yard games) with Minnesota, Cota has 67 career catches with UCLA, Chapman (despite injuries at A&M) has 28, Bassa started 7 games and ended up with 48 tackles, Powers-Johnson played in 11 games and started 3, Swinson had 24 tackles last year, and Hill has 13 career starts and Stevens 9 career starts.

So, while Georgia has some very highly rated depth, Oregon isn't without highly rated kids in it's backing units, and has a lot of kids who have played quite a bit. Possibly, perhaps possibly, an advantage in an opening game that might help balance against the highly regarded Georgia youngsters.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

OD, thanks for taking the time to dig out all this specific info about our Ducks and the Dawgs. Cant imagine how long it took you to gather, organize and present your post. Well done..........

Without a doubt there is going to be some great talent on the field next Saturday. The Dawgs appear to have more depth with little or no playing time. While OBD's depth has valuable playing time. Hec, many on the Ducks roster cut their teeth in The Shoe against tOSU. And they performed well. I fully expect the Dawgs first timers to also perform well. Afterall, over the last 5 years the Dawgs are something like 58-10.

Playing in the strongest conference the Dawgs come well prepared to kick butt.

The Ducks have nothing to lose and should play relaxed and loose. This my OBDF members is big time, big boy football. Both teams will be well prepared.  As in any football game it boils down to who executes best and minimizes mistakes.

Its almost time to play ball. GO DUCKS..........

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Great post OD. I love football nerds. The depth of Georgia might not be as big an issue in game one as perhaps game 5. I think Oregon hangs with UGA. Win or lose, this is going to be a great game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree with the other Ducks that posted, this was a great post.  Very well done.  

Yes, it doesn’t make sense that Christopher Smith was not listed as a returning starter.  If I’m not mistaken, he started at safety in every game for GA and was a strong player and a very important piece for the defense.  He is the player that had the pick six for GAs only TD against Clemson.  With the defense that we play safety is a very difficult position to learn.  Probably the hardest to learn when considering alignment and assignment.  We were thin at Safety, if Smith went down it potentially could have been disastrous. 

Thanks OD.  I actually feel a lot better about this game after what you have put together for us to peruse through.  Thanks again!