JunkyardDawg

Offensive Lines - Biggest Factor in the Game?

To continue the process of learning about each others teams, I wanted to dive into the OLs.  I know a little bit about #56 and #71, but not so much about the other guys.  As with most contests, the OL that can at least stalemate if not dominate the opposing DL gives their offense quite the leg up in moving the ball and putting up points.  For reference, here's what the Dawgs will be trotting out:

LT - #59 RsSO - Broderick Jones (6'4" 310 lbs)  - The former 5-star (#11 player overall nationally in the class of 2020) saw his first real action last year getting 438 snaps while filling in for injury.  He became somewhat of a savior in the National title game when the starting RG was unable to handle Bama's DL, the staff made the decision to move the starting LT (Jamaree Salyer) to RG and plug in Broderick at LT.  He not only held his own against Bama's poster boy, Will Anderson Jr., in some instances he dominated him (82.2 PFF overall; 88.3 PFF runblock).  He's a first round talent kinda guy who everyone expects him to put it all together this year.  

LG - #73 RsJR - Xavier Truss (6'7" 320 lbs) - A top 250 recruit from the class of 2019.  Got his feet wet a little bit at RG last year with 187 mostly garbage-time snaps.  Originally was slated as an OT, but has moved inside instead.  While he does have the length for a tackle, he doesn't have the feet, so he seems to be a better fit at guard.  Won the spot in fall camp this year over multiple challengers.  He'll be one to watch here as he's probably the biggest unknown on the Dawg OL. 

C - #63 RsSO - Sedrick Van Pran (6'4" 310 lbs) - The number 60 overall recruit in the class of 2020, Van Pran took won the starting job last year and hasn't looked back.  Had some early bumps and bruises, but finished the year strong.  Will be a strong contender for this year's Rimington Trophy.  

RG - #69 RsSO - Tate Ratledge (6'6" 315 lbs) - The number 38 overall recruit in the class of 2020, Tate won the starting RG spot previous to the 2021 season, but broke his foot 4 plays into game #1.  Still raw experience wise, but the word is he has the potential to be one of the best on the OL.  

RT - #70 RsJR - Warren McClendon (6'4" 300 lbs) - A top 250 recruit from the class of 2019, McClendon became the starter at RT his RsFR year and has really developed into a rock on the right side.  More of a technician than a mauler, it really tough to get him out of position.  Made the All SEC first team from the coaches poll.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/30/2022 at 12:33 PM, JunkyardDawg said:

To continue the process of learning about each others teams, I wanted to dive into the OLs.  I know a little bit about #56 and #71, but not so much about the other guys.  As with most contests, the OL that can at least stalemate if not dominate the opposing DL gives their offense quite the leg up in moving the ball and putting up points.  For reference, here's what the Dawgs will be trotting out:

LT - #59 RsSO - Broderick Jones (6'4" 310 lbs)  - The former 5-star (#11 player overall nationally in the class of 2020) saw his first real action last year getting 438 snaps while filling in for injury.  He became somewhat of a savior in the National title game when the starting RG was unable to handle Bama's DL, the staff made the decision to move the starting LT (Jamaree Salyer) to RG and plug in Broderick at LT.  He not only held his own against Bama's poster boy, Will Anderson Jr., in some instances he dominated him (82.2 PFF overall; 88.3 PFF runblock).  He's a first round talent kinda guy who everyone expects him to put it all together this year.  

LG - #73 RsJR - Xavier Truss (6'7" 320 lbs) - A top 250 recruit from the class of 2019.  Got his feet wet a little bit at RG last year with 187 mostly garbage-time snaps.  Originally was slated as an OT, but has moved inside instead.  While he does have the length for a tackle, he doesn't have the feet, so he seems to be a better fit at guard.  Won the spot in fall camp this year over multiple challengers.  He'll be one to watch here as he's probably the biggest unknown on the Dawg OL. 

C - #63 RsSO - Sedrick Van Pran (6'4" 310 lbs) - The number 60 overall recruit in the class of 2020, Van Pran took won the starting job last year and hasn't looked back.  Had some early bumps and bruises, but finished the year strong.  Will be a strong contender for this year's Rimington Trophy.  

RG - #69 RsSO - Tate Ratledge (6'6" 315 lbs) - The number 38 overall recruit in the class of 2020, Tate won the starting RG spot previous to the 2021 season, but broke his foot 4 plays into game #1.  Still raw experience wise, but the word is he has the potential to be one of the best on the OL.  

RT - #70 RsJR - Warren McClendon (6'4" 300 lbs) - A top 250 recruit from the class of 2019, McClendon became the starter at RT his RsFR year and has really developed into a rock on the right side.  More of a technician than a mauler, it really tough to get him out of position.  Made the All SEC first team from the coaches poll.  

Great analysis of our guys.

If I had to pick 1 position group from 1 team in this game to have the biggest impact on the outcome, I would pick the GA O-line.  As our line goes, so goes the effectiveness of our offense.  Of coarse this is true for most teams, but I really see the guys listed above as the driving force of our offense and our style of offensive play.

• Thumbs Up 1

Let's have a snap shot of some of the O's Offensive line who'll face off with the Dawgs:

#56 T.J. Bass 6'4" 325  lbs. Senior - Outland Trophy pre-season watch list for Top Offensive Lineman 2022, Pac-12 All-Conference (1st team) 2021,  Pac-12 Lineman of the week winner 202,  Ranked Top 25 Nationally OLinemen 2021,  Played all 14 games as a starter 2021

#70 Dawson Jaramillo, 6'5" 300 lbs., Junior played in 10 of Oregon's 14 games as a starter

#71 Malaesala Amavae-Laulu, 6'6" 330 lbs. Senior played in all 14 games as starter allowing 0 sacks and just 1 QB hit in 359 passing down snaps, Pac-   12 All Conference Honorable Mention

#74 Steven Jones, 6'5" 340 lbs. Junior - Started all 13 games he played for the Ducks, missing one due to injury … Started four games at right tackle before starting the final nine at right guard … Played 781 total offensive snaps, with 556 at RG and 225 at RT

#78 Alex Forsyth, 6'4" 312 lbs. Senior, Outland Trophy pre-season watch list (Top interior Linemen), Rimmington Trophy pre-season watch-list (Top Center),  Phil Steele Pac-12 All Conference (2nd team) Played 647 total snaps allowing just 2 sacks and 7 hurries.  Started 10 games, 9 at Center

#53 Ryan Walk, 6'3" 292 lbs. Senior, Pac-12 Coaches All-Conference (1st team as a Junior) Honorable mention in 2021,  Burlsworth Trophy Top 10 semi-finalist, playing all 14 games last season with a 77.3 overall grade from Pro Football Focus

The younger players will contribute to as the Ducks have some very highly rated recruits brought in by Mario Cristobal and Dan Lanning both.  But it's the experience Oregon is deep in.

• Thanks 2
  • Great post! 1

Thanks for posting.  You put six on there.  Who do you think is the odd man out?  

I just saw this practice report on Oregonlve.com

"The offensive line drills during the first period featured T.J. Bass with Alex Forsyth and Ryan Walk as the first unit on the interior and Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu and Steven Jones as the top pair of tackles. Dawson Jaramillo was with the second tackle pair and Marcus Harper II was with the second interior group."

Would that put Jones at LT in your opinion?

That does, and it is very bad news to me.

Mr. FishDuck

Don't rule out JC Jr at tackle. If the kid can play I say play him. He wouldn't be the first true freshman starting at the LT position. 

I know I know... "do you really want a freshman with zero college experience going against the defending champs?"

If he is the best play the best. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

And Ryan Walk should be nominated for the Burlsworth Trophy again this year. One of the most prestigious awards no one knows about. He and Stetson should be competing again for the award.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 8/30/2022 at 3:38 PM, JunkyardDawg said:

Thanks for posting.  You put six on there.  Who do you think is the odd man out?  

Word coming out of camp is Lanning will rotate and substitute frequently keeping the linemen fresh. I don't know how deep the Bulldogs are (probably very deep) but Oregon is also deep and multiple players play more than one position.  In-game decisions will dictate whom, where and when.  

Sophomore Faaope Laloulu, 6'7", 330 lbs will likely see action at LT, a position he played last year in two games.  Word is he had a good Spring camp and is developing fast.  This 'kid' is gonna be a brute of a man as he gets older and more playing time.   Freshman Josh Connerly Jr;, 6'4" 294, a consensus 5* (top 35 nationally, 31 ESPN) out of Rainer Beach HS, Seattle should also see time this year.  Oregon is really high on this young man's potential.  At 294 he's said to be very quick and agile with good football smarts for a Frosh.  Voted top OT by 247 Sports, (consensus top 3.)

Another Freshman who may see significant playing time is Michael Wooten, 6'4" 305 lbs. out of Simi Valley California was a top 50 recruit among offensive tackles (Rivals 41) and the 247 composite (No. 47).