1Funduck

National notice of our recruiting prowess

Nice article, although I use the more reliable Rivals.com rankings that this year--places us higher.  Other years, not...  (Thanks for posting 1Funduck!)

On Rivals...the disparity of recruiting within our conference becomes more stark when compared to other teams and conferences.

No. 3     Oregon
No. 8     USC
No. 31   UCLA  (Wow, what a drop for the conference from No. 8 to No. 31!)
No. 34   Utah
No. 39   Cal
No. 42  Washington  
No. 49  Washington State
No. 50  Stanford
No. 61  Arizona State
No. 63  Colorado
No. 73  Arizona
No. 100+ Oregon State   (A ton of former 4-Star transfers coming in)

Kyle Whittingham_YouTube Video.jpg

This is a good coach...

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Washington in the middle of the Pac12........................means they are the "worst of the best, or best of the worst".

15 hours ago, ICamel said:

Washington in the middle of the Pac12........................means they are the "worst of the best, or best of the worst".

Washington fans feel there glass is half full. - -  Oregon fans feel Washington's glass is half empty. - -  But we all know Oregon's glass is aways full. 

(even I have to wonder where I came up with those words)

I agree with the 247 feelings. Its always been a distorted face with me when a school can add to their recruiting score by adding more players. In theory, a school could recruit 85 players in 1 year and have the highest score, even though every kid is a 2 star and is 50th or lower in their respective position. Said school wins the recruiting title. Thats bunk. Average the score, average the stars. 247 just wants to be different and make themselves out to be deep analytical evaluators. The common fan eats it up. Those in the know, know better.

Edited by 1Funduck

4 hours ago, 1Funduck said:

I agree with the 247 feelings. Its always been a distorted face with me when a school can add to their recruiting score by adding more players. In theory, a school could recruit 85 players in 1 year and have the highest score, even though every kid is a 2 star and is 50th or lower in their respective position. Said school wins the recruiting title. Thats bunk. Average the score, average the stars. 247 just wants to be different and make themselves out to be deep analytical evaluators. The common fan eats it up. Those in the know, know better.

I totally agree 1Funduck, good take.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1Funduck said:

In theory, a school could recruit 85 players in 1 year and have the highest score, even though every kid is a 2 star and is 50th or lower in their respective position. Said school wins the recruiting title. Thats bunk. 

I'm not entirely sure your point here. Rivals doesn't rank schools purely on the average of the athletes either. Example: Georgia is ranked 6th with 20 recruits and an average of 3.85 stars, while Clemson is ranked 7th with 19 recruits and an average of 3.95 stars. Rivals gives every player a rating that adds to a score and so because they are so close the added player gives Georgia the edge.

Also 247 has system in place that the more recruits you get the less value they add to your team placing, a team with 85 2*'s would probably top out at 30th in their rankings.

Look 247 has major evaluation issues, and consistently views when athletes commit as a reason to promote or lower the athletes ranking but I honestly wouldn't bunk them based on their ranking system.

247 has a few things I like. I think star averages are bad(which 247 doesn't do) because not all stars are the same. a 3 star with 4 offers(rated 1500 nationally by 247) is not the same as a 3 star with 24 offers(rated 400 nationally by 247). so to combate this 247 publishes their player rankings and scores. The score looks like .99 - .80. 5 star = ~.985 and above, 4 star =~.89 and above and a three star is .80 and up. I also like they layout and UI of 247 more and it is significantly easier to compare within conference on 247 as well.

The issue I think Fishduck takes with 247 is the said 3 star i mentioned earlier, if he commits to Ohio State/Alabama becomes a 4 star in the next published rerankings, while if he commits to oregon he drops 40+ spots. 

50 minutes ago, UtahDuck said:

The issue I think Fishduck takes with 247 is the said 3 star i mentioned earlier, if he commits to Ohio State/Alabama becomes a 4 star in the next published rerankings, while if he commits to oregon he drops 40+ spots.

Ty Thompson has been interesting to watch at 247 ... he has done everything and MORE and has moved up in their rankings over time. Though they have flat out said the hasn't done enough to earn a 5th star. Meanwhile... players who didn't play their season have maintained their stars ... conversely... Troy Franklin lost his 5th star for not playing his high school season.

The inconsistencies are just mind boggling at times.

56 minutes ago, UtahDuck said:

This is why I am so underrated... I'm committed to Oregon.

Edited by Jon Sousa
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, David Marsh said:

Ty Thompson has been interesting to watch at 247 ... he has done everything and MORE and has moved up in their rankings over time. Though they have flat out said the hasn't done enough to earn a 5th star. Meanwhile... players who didn't play their season have maintained their stars ... conversely... Troy Franklin lost his 5th star for not playing his high school season.

The inconsistencies are just mind boggling at times.

First I feel bad for every rating system this year, it is nigh impossible. I mean many players just need that senior year to actually showcase their physical abilities. next players have lost the chance for breakout years. I don't care if its rivals, 247 or ESPN i feel bad for them having to evaluate 2020.

Now to point out Troy Franklin, his drop in the rankings wasn't actually 247's fault. First to clarify 247 has a composite and a 247 ranking.

Next on 7/31 247 ranked him at .95. his final ranking in january was actually a score of 96(247 not 247 composite). He dropped in the composite due to other factors. Rivals ranked him at 26th in September and dropped him to 33 by January. ESPN finished his ranking at 71st(They don't publish historical rankings). 

247 would probably be better if they removed ESPN rankings from their composite system. Dropping espn still wouldn't fix their own evaluation problems.