FishDuck Article

Ducks Football: Three Things to Watch for Against the Bulldogs

It is fun to have Alex back and writing every Friday to get us prepped/foamed up about the week's game.  Below are his three keys to victory in Georgia...

FISHDUCK.COM

Finally! Ducks football is back! All offseason questions about Our Beloved Ducks will be answered in less than 24 hours, and it couldn't be a more exciting...

• Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

While we are watching Oregon and Georgia on ABC, ucla and usc  will be playing their games on the Pac-12 Network. 

While I agree with you Alex, that establishing the run is important....I really don't think we will be able to against Georgia.  Not a slight on our offensive line, because the 'Dawgs did hold the 'Tide to 18 points recently....

Fun article--thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Alex,

I agree with pretty much everything you pointed out in your well written article... other than the game being played in Athens.

If all three of these things come to fruition the Ducks will be in this game with a chance to win. Let's hope this is the case. 

My gut tells me the Ducks won't get embarrassed. But, Georgia will show they are superior team. Hope to see them again in January.

On 9/2/2022 at 11:23 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I really don't think we will be able to against Georgia

I think if we can start getting guys on the outside again; running through holes created by Tight Ends/Tackles (which we really didn't do under MC but did well under CK) we have a chance at putting some yards up on the ground.

I am hoping Lanning's insight on UGA's D will give Dillingham the uneven matchups he is looking to exploit at the line.

I agree the trenches are the battle that the winner of the game will prevail in. We beat OSU in the trenches last year and won the game.

On 9/2/2022 at 4:12 PM, DazeNconfused said:

I agree the trenches are the battle that the winner of the game will prevail in. We beat OSU in the trenches last year and won the game.

I agree, the winner in the trenches will win the game.  If the Ducks beat GA on the LOS they deserve to win, but that is a huge ask.  I’m certainly not saying it’s impossible, we haven’t seen either team play yet so who knows for sure.  But GA has developed into a team that really prides itself on winning the LOS.  It will be very tough to beat them on the line.

I think if Oregon can be successful in the run game it dramatically increases their chances of winning.  Not only that, if the Ducks successfully run on GA, good luck to the rest of the Pac-12.  I don’t say this in arrogance, it’s just that GA doesn’t let anyone run on them with much success.  Sure the GA defense lost 7-8 starters, it’s quite possible that they make some big mistakes, and if they do the Ducks need to make them pay dearly.  

Being honest, while GA lost a lot on D, the talent on this years GA defense is once again ridiculous.  

Here is what I think, if the Ducks can run well enough to stay away from sure passing downs it will help tremendously.  If GA knows your passing it’s a very bad thing.  You can’t depend on running screens and the like to adjust, the LBs are way too fast for that to work consistently.  And I’m not talking about the LB that over pursues and gets easily blocked out, I’m talking about the LBs you never imagined would be in the play to begin with.  

I’m excited!  I predict a much closer game than many think.  I’m excited about my Dawgs offense, but also for the Ducks D.  This time tmw we will all be fools, but smarter for it!!!

Good luck my Duck friends!!!  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Dawg fans who have shown up here and participated in these talks have been truly gracious and an absolute pleasure. No matter what happens tomorrow, I will be rooting for the Dawgs for the rest of the season. Having said that……Go Ducks!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Fantastic first post Thud, and I would encourage you to post your thoughts often. Welcome!

Mr. FishDuck

Thud, welcome, and nice post. Very gracious and thoughtful. Keep yhem coming.

SoGaDawg, you and the other Dawg posters have been a joy, insightful and objective. Hopefully you will stick with this forum and continue to share your thoughts. GOOD STUFF!

Alex, nice article and I agree with your comments. I would add that the Dawgs are going to face one of the best defensive units on their schedule this season. This Duck unit is full of future NFL players with power, speed and built in nasty. Many would be starters in the SEC. A few would even start for Georgia or Bama. And now they have a proven defensive scheme. HEC YEAH........

Last year these baby Ducks, minus 2 - 5☆ defenders handed the immortals in the shoe their tails. tOSU does not lose in the shoe, just ask their over confident fans. Those baby Ducks are not babies anymore. Add to that, Coach Lanning brought in some seasoned veterans thru the portal. Vanderbilt, Tennessee and South Carolina arent playing the Dawgs tomorrow.  The Oregon Ducks are.........

Georgia holds all the cards and should win the game. This is the best defense Oregon has faced including Utah. However, these Ducks can hold their own. If the Ducks dont turn it over and 1 or 2 offensive players perform over their skis, then this will be a ball game.

GO DUCKS....prove me wrong because i picked against you.

I’ve already said that if Oregon can run the ball even somewhat successfully  against Ga it could make a big difference.  The following is what else I think could make a big difference in the game.  And once again this goes back to the trenches.  

I assume Oregon will play a DE, 2DTs, and a Jack LB on their defensive front.  Of coarse there are variations to this but this should be the base.  Aside from this there will be LBs and DBs, the number of which is dependent on the set and play call.  My point is, if this front can have success it’s a big deal.  If the front 4 can close running lanes and get pressure on Bennet occasionally it’s a big deal.  I know the Ducks have very good LBs and from what I’ve read pretty good guys playing DB.  I’m not sure about the front 4.  Yes I’ve seen the praises of Dorlus, Hudson, Auamavae, and Taimani.  Can these guys at least stalemate the GA O-line?  If so it could be huge.  

GA likes to bully defenses with the O-line.  They tend to be successful at this especially late in games.  If this front 4 doesn’t allow GA to push them around it is a very big deal.