Pac10again

Don't Blame Bo

It is Alabama, Georgia, and everybody else.   #2 Ohio State loses to Georgia today by 30 if it was in Columbus!  You will see I am right before this season is over.  I saw a good college team today(Oregon) playing against a really good semi-pro team.  Although I think Bo still could light it up in PAC play this year, playing a younger QB may be a wise call now.  I'm cool either way.

Of course, the loss is not entirely Bo's fault. However, the Ducks need to look to the future and there is no time like the present. Thompson and Butterfield deserve a shot. 

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This loss was a team effort. Everyone participated in the beating they took. Top down.

Honestly, he stares down every one he throws to, over throws under throws, basic fundamentals, were in big trouble, he is worse than Anthony Brown in many ways, IMO

• Thumbs Up 6

On 9/3/2022 at 4:46 PM, Pac10again said:

It is Alabama, Georgia, and everybody else.   #2 Ohio State loses to Georgia today by 30 if it was in Columbus!  You will see I am right before this season is over.  I saw a good college team today(Oregon) playing against a really good semi-pro team.  Although I think Bo still could light it up in PAC play this year, playing a younger QB may be a wise call now.  I'm cool either way.

OSU just hired Jim Knowls the Oakie St Dc who had a top five defense with 3 -stars last year. 

The OSU defense has talent I say we let Knowls have the year to shape them up before we declare they will get beat by 30.

Bo? What did my untrained eye see?

Bo just doesn't seem to see the field well and misses defenders and throws dangerous passes to waiting defenders. This criticism followed him from Auburn (and was on display today when a bad pick ended Oregon's slim chances to stay in the game). It's just gonna hard to be consistently successful doing that.

The staring down guys is a problem for a lot of young QBs, but if Bo is going to shake it, we probably should be seeing more signs of it by now.

His decision making at times also has been questioned. The announcers didn't seem to critical of the first INT, but it sort of looked forced to me.

At the time in the game, the Ducks seemed to be scripting towards taking a shot down field. Obviously they want to get the ball to Seven with some space, but the Georgia DB hadn't taken the bait. You can still take a shot and put one in a spot where the WR has about the only shot, but if you are going to do that, you likely still need to be seeing either your 6-5 WR (Thornton), your 6-4 WR (Cota), or your 6-3 WR (Franklin), not your 5-8 WR (well covered by a 6-1 CB). Even if put in a better spot, that is a tough catch for a 5-8 guy being contested by a bigger defender.

He seems to struggle with pressure. Didn't really see him step up in the pocket and deliver a throw. ESPN's box score lists zero sacks by Georgia and zero QB pressures.

Yet Bo seemed to be bailing out early all game long, almost as if he is feeling phantom pressure (the OL wasn't great but I didn't see it getting blown off the ball by the pass rush, at least during the meaningful portion of the game).

Bo's legs seem fine and will make a few plays per game; but, not exactly a Masoli like guy who you accept a bit less in the passing component because his legs make up for it. As I saw someone else comment, while he occasionally makes a play, he almost cancels it out in numerous plays just bailing out in exactly the wrong direction he needs to go and gets nothing.

Finally, I had expected a bit more raw arm juice. Balls seem to come up with either medium zip or float a little. It's ok but it's going to have to be something managed. He isn't going to be lasering the ball around.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/3/2022 at 5:52 PM, AnotherOD said:

Bo? What did my untrained eye see?

Bo just doesn't seem to see the field well and misses defenders and throws dangerous passes to waiting defenders. This criticism followed him from Auburn (and was on display today when a bad pick ended Oregon's slim chances to stay in the game). It's just gonna hard to be consistently successful doing that.

The staring down guys is a problem for a lot of young QBs, but if Bo is going to shake it, we probably should be seeing more signs of it by now.

His decision making at times also has been questioned. The announcers didn't seem to critical of the first INT, but it sort of looked forced to me.

At the time in the game, the Ducks seemed to be scripting towards taking a shot down field. Obviously they want to get the ball to Seven with some space, but the Georgia DB hadn't taken the bait. You can still take a shot and put one in a spot where the WR has about the only shot, but if you are going to do that, you likely still need to be seeing either your 6-5 WR (Thornton), your 6-4 WR (Cota), or your 6-3 WR (Franklin), not your 5-8 WR (well covered by a 6-1 CB). Even if put in a better spot, that is a tough catch for a 5-8 guy being contested by a bigger defender.

He seems to struggle with pressure. Didn't really see him step up in the pocket and deliver a throw. ESPN's box score lists zero sacks by Georgia and zero QB pressures.

Yet Bo seemed to be bailing out early all game long, almost as if he is feeling phantom pressure (the OL wasn't great but I didn't see it getting blown off the ball by the pass rush, at least during the meaningful portion of the game).

Bo's legs seem fine and will make a few plays per game; but, not exactly a Masoli like guy who you accept a bit less in the passing component because his legs make up for it. As I saw someone else comment, while he occasionally makes a play, he almost cancels it out in numerous plays just bailing out in exactly the wrong direction he needs to go and gets nothing.

Finally, I had expected a bit more raw arm juice. Balls seem to come up with either medium zip or float a little. It's ok but it's going to have to be something managed. He isn't going to be lasering the ball around.

The worst example of not humming it in there was hanging Cota out to dry on our best chance for an explosive play. They had safety over the top and cota had shook the corner. Throw it to him! Instead tries to lay one easy in the breadbasket. Well, guess what? You just gave the defense tons of time to react and blow up your receiver. 

• Thumbs Up 2