Charles Fischer

Mario Cristobal: Recruiting STAFF as Important as Players

Some of this article we have read, but there was a tasty quote or two that makes you ponder.

Cristobal believes DeRuyter will make Oregon 'a whole lot better' by 247Sports

Image result for Tim Deruyter Oregon twitter images

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

This hire continues the theme of Cristobal hiring coaches with previous head coaching experience.

Tasty quote for me:

"Being in college football, Oregon is one of those brands that’s known across the country. When you make calls to coaches or recruits, they’re going to pick that phone up. They want to be apart [sic] of something so special…"

This, I think, is a good indication of why we are doing so well in recruiting - along with having a head coach who is probably in the top three of recruiting prowess IMO.

And to echo Tandaian's comment, I like that MC is hiring coordinators with previous head coaching experience. Not only does it show he's confident, but it also shows that the program is a desirable stop for top of-the-line, experienced coaches who may need a bit of assistant success before moving on to greater things.

I would say that the Alabama machine is the ultimate example of this, but MC is building Oregon in that direction.

And not to be negative, but if MC gets that offer he can't refuse, it keeps viable options in the program to take over and maintain continuity.

I still think there is value in doing that, especially if the head coach is moving on due to being successful.

But can Tim recruit ??

9 minutes ago, BigDucksFan said:

But can Tim recruit ??

If he can't right now he will learn real fast. I doubt Cristobal would have hired him if he didn't believe DeRuyter wouldn't be an asset in recruiting. 

DeRuyter might need some on the job training but taking Cristobal's recruiting class will have him good to go before we know it. 

DeRuyter will be able to recruit. I think Cristobal is passionate and has a vision that connects with young athletes. If nothing else that passion and vision rubs off on the players and the coaches connected to the program. 

We have hired a proven coordinator, and with the players he has available, the defense will be formidable. That will definitely catch the attention of prospects that are looking to land in a top program. While recruiting may not be DeRuyter’s strength now, it will be easier to recruit to an Oregon program which is on the rise, vs. Cal.

9 hours ago, David Marsh said:

If he can't right now he will learn real fast. I doubt Cristobal would have hired him if he didn't believe DeRuyter wouldn't be an asset in recruiting. 

DeRuyter might need some on the job training but taking Cristobal's recruiting class will have him good to go before we know it. 

Tim's recruitment ability's at Cal were not very good. Also Cristobal is not very good at "coaching up" players and I am afraid his ability to "coach up coaches" are about the same.