Haywarduck

Do coaches thrive at Oregon?

The recent article pointing out the top programs for coaches, by 'rivals', made me wonder just how attractive is Oregon. Do coaches thrive when they come to Oregon?

I would argue coaches do thrive at Oregon. Before coming to Oregon Bellotti, much like Cristobal, was a losing coach who Brooks put his faith in as OC. He became a legendary coach, much like is happening with Cristobal. 

We also hired Koetter and Tedford who received head coaching jobs, first time for both. Much like Arroyo and Avalos who recently went on to head coaching positions after coaching at Oregon. This is often a coaches dream, get the head coaching job, and Oregon has proven to be one of, if the best place to do that.

CK was hired as head coach after being an assistant, and like Helfrich, thrived under the foundation which was layed down before them. Both of these coaches faltered as that foundation was gone, and fell apart.

This is the last point most of these coaches did much better while at Oregon as compared to when they left. There is no better example than slick, who got his dream job at FSU, and the whole world fell apart around him. 

I think, we again, have a foundation being layed down for long-term future success. The assistants and processes are being put together to ensure we can withstand when Cristobal leaves, hopefully after a few Natty's. I think Oregon has proven to be a place where coaches thrive and they should think twice before leaving!

• Like 1

I think that Willie Taggart said it best when he considered the compensation and the facilities as he looked out over the HD Complex, "There are no excuses."

Taggart and Leavitt Screenshot FP.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

My “journey” with Ducks Football started in the seventies. For years, if we happened to have a decent team, we would be considered “overachievers” . The Mike Bellotti era completely changed that perception, and he helped put the Ducks into the National Championship conversation. 

Since that time, have the Ducks thrived?  We all know that the Trophy case is missing one major piece of hardware, but I have to say that we have thrived, and so have some of our coaches. 

Clemson just raised OC Tony Elliott's salary to $2M plus. The Tiger's DC Brent Venables was already earning $2M plus. Clemson now has two of three highest paid Coordinators in college football. 

Coach Elliott is entering his 13th year and has turned down SEC and ACC HC opportunities, and stayed with Clemson.

Coaches Moorhead and DeRueyter are outstanding. With Cristobal they become a 3-headed monster given a few years to gel. 

Just saying.......

• Thumbs Up 1

Notalot you raise an interesting point with your Coach Elliot fact. He has turned down head coaching opportunities. At what point does more money start to lose its influence?

I think Cristobal may be thinking this way, along with the fact that he is man of integrity. Cristobal has a goal and feels he can reach that goal with the support he is receiving. Will he leave for more money, I don't think so. What is he going to be able to do, have a couple more bedrooms in his house?

Oregon has proven itself as a great place to coach and become successful. With a few more seasons Cristobal will have built a culture and process a CK type coach can take even higher. 

The process at Oregon isn't hire the shiny object, the highest rated coach, and demand he win now. We build a program that becomes bigger than the head coach.

The rivals article was more of the programs that can hire the highest rated coaches, who, often, have little integrity. Good for them, but I like the Oregon Way!

I think Oregon has some benefits that just aren't present at other Universities.

First and foremost is the relative expectations. Sure you need to win, and win frequently(I'd argue this is the 'expectation' at all colleges) but I don't think fans/admin/booster expect double digit win seasons every single year. If you don't do this at Florida State, Tennessee, South Carolina, or pretty much any university you will be out in 3-5 years.

Second, Booster/Boosters. Texas just fired their head coach for producing their best 4 year streak since the end of 2009. They Forced their most winning head coach Mack Brown to resign and as most Texas fans would say they have to many hands in the pot. Surely not every university is like this but the ones with paycheck$$ are. Oregon has one booster you have to impress. one booster you have to 'schmooze'. I won't pretend to know the full politics of boosters but I can promise having to deal with one is a lot better than the dozen(s) at other universities.

Lastly, reputation. I think the concept of blue bloods needs amending. When it comes to working with and long term factions, if you haven't won anything in the last 20 years it doesn't matter. no recruit cares for a championship in 1991(Ahem). the next class of 2022 was born in 04-05 they have lived through 1 losing season at oregon. They have grown up with the 'oregon' jerseys.

Oregon coaches are set to succeed because of this. That doesn't mean Cristobal et al. has it easy. I think Cristobal et al. Recruits harder than anyone else.   

• Thanks 1

Thriving at a place and that place being the most desirable are two different things. Houston and Cincinnati have been excellent spots for coaches to come in, do well, and then get better jobs. It doesn't mean that top-tier coaches want to go to Houston or Cinci.

Oregon has been pretty good, but I don't know if it's been better than other high-level programs. Helf hasn't rebounded after flopping as the head coach. Long-term guys like Pellum saw their careers basically end by their mid-50s. Brady Hoke failed to rebound. David Yost just keeps floating along. Like any school, we've had smart, talented coaches and some of them are going to go up in their careers, some are going to go down, and some are going to stay about the same. I don't see a lot of evidence that Oregon is particularly good for a coach's career (although recently it sure has been with UNLV and BSU digging our coordinators 🙂 )

40 minutes ago, UtahDuck said:

I think Oregon has some benefits that just aren't present at other Universities.

Utah....your posts are smokin'....great stuff.  Thanks.

Mr. FishDuck

I think coaching in Eugene requires the right “fit”. I believe CK even was looking long term until the NFL money and challenge swayed him. He built a massive house I believe but left at a high point. I winder what he’d say privately about whether he’d want to be Oregon’s Coach again  

MC is building something of his own design. Additionally he has small children, should say young because they are probably bigger than me by now. 😳I’m sure the stability is an asset for his family. 

Coach D mentioned how he likes college station type towns and Eugene is a great college town. He’s been around enough to know what he wants    

Coach M is rebuilding a bit after an unfortunate experience previously. Hard to see him jumping ship in the next couple of seasons.   I believe that looking for coaches who aren’t simply looking to leverage towards another job will be how to build a perennial powerhouse and that MC’s approach is creating a culture that will attract coaching talent. 

it’s hard to really compare the present day Coaching job at Oregon to past years because of the talent of the athletes recruited and the trajectory of the program but big money can be hard to pass up. 

I could be naïve, looking through green and yellow tinted glasses. But I would be really surprised if Mario isn't at Oregon for a good, long time. He's a smart guy, knew the $ situation when he took the job, and for the most part his agent took care of the extension.

I believe he is serious about wanting to build Oregon in to a football power, that's how he's wired, and I don't see him packing it up, moving him and his family somewhere else, and doing it there. He isn't going to jump like Tucker, at Colorado did, and Mario definitely does not want to be the coach after Saban, at Alabama.  

5 hours ago, 30Duck said:

Mario definitely does not want to be the coach after Saban, at Alabama.  

I think Cristobal wants to be the reason Saban retires! Wouldn't it be nice to see Cristobal take the torch from Saban like Mahomes may do with Brady this Sunday. I can dream right!

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Notalot said:

Clemson just raised OC Tony Elliott's salary to $2M plus. The Tiger's DC Brent Venables was already earning $2M plus. Clemson now has two of three highest paid Coordinators in college football.